View Full Version : How Did The RISSA Show Compare With The MSBA Show?

BigFish
03-07-2004, 07:12 PM
Just a curious question that will go a long way towards better serving "you" the paying public!:hidin:

No it won't, I am just curious!:eek:

UserRemoved1
03-07-2004, 07:36 PM
Larry can I post something without being jumped on? I will give you an honest answer....

BigFish
03-07-2004, 07:39 PM
Of course you can Salty, I am looking for honest answers simply because I want to know.....the input is good, plus I did not get to go so I want to hear all about it.....let it fly Salty....I won't hurt you!:laugha:

Much........:smash:

UserRemoved1
03-07-2004, 07:48 PM
:D

I thought the show was extremely well run. I think that Steve M and his crew did a excellent job in putting it together, in getting everyone in there, getting them back out, they were responsive, Went so far as the guys at the DOOR came around and shook your hand this afternoon and thanked each dealer for being there. They did a good job advertising it, got the people in the door.
One hiccup was the electrical guys busting my balls over $1.88 that I misfigured the tax on the sheet. But it was straightened out easy enough.

Now compare it to MSBA....only thing I saw that I liked better was that the aisles were wider and easier to navigate instead of being shoulder to shoulder and not being able to move as in periods at the MSBA show. That's the only neg thing I have besides the stair issue which everyone has to deal with :)

I think MSBA and RISAA should pool resources and do a JOINT show TWICE a year....once in spring and once in the late fall.

I'd be very curious to see what the turn-out was yesterday in there and compare it to MSBA too. There was ALOT of people there yesterday!

:hidin: :)

BigFish
03-07-2004, 07:55 PM
Sounds from all reports that it was a great show Salty, I hope you did well. I saw a couple pics of you around here somewhere. I will see what I can do about giving you an "extra wide" aisle at the MSBA show.......there is a pretty wide aisle, with great access that I can see if I can get for you and it will not cost you a thing......:confused: cause' its out in the parking lot!:laugha:

Just joshin' ya Scott.....I only asked this question to feed my own curiosity, this question was not MSBA business related. Just wanted to know as a guy who enjoys a really good, all fishing show. Thanks for your honest answer Salty.:kewl:

Looking forward to seeing you in a few weeks. (Know what I mean);)

UserRemoved1
03-07-2004, 08:00 PM
Yep it was a great show and THANKS to ALL for the support. And I wanna see some PICTURES this year. Lotta pos comments and guys came back this year telling me of good fish. Makes it all worthwhile. See ya at MSBA Larry! I got something for you :D\

Not complaining bout the aisles there, it's a smaller area and it's what you have to work with that's all. It's like moving into a bigger house when you outgrow the old one...feels much better when you can stretch yaself out and not smell hairy tennis shoes :D

Can you rope off the entire parking lot for me ? :D

BigFish
03-07-2004, 08:02 PM
I will be at the loading door with a good bunch of guys again Salty to help you get your stuff in easily, you can count on it.:)

UserRemoved1
03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I want the parking lot now :D

Originally posted by BigFish
I will be at the loading door with a good bunch of guys again Salty to help you get your stuff in easily, you can count on it.:)

BigFish
03-07-2004, 08:09 PM
If the weather is good, I will see if we can accomadate you!:eek:

TheRattBoy
03-07-2004, 08:50 PM
The biggest complaint I had last year ( after attending my 1st MSBA show ) was the size , or should I say lack of it,in the venue.Felt very packed in.Guys I fish with had always gone to the MSBA show when it was held at some , school, I think, and they too said that was a better location, guess it had more space.By the way, i'm not a RISAA member nor am I an MSBA member and have no axe to grind with either group (or side to be on) just stating my thoughts.I believe both clubs go out of the way to put on the best show and it shows.:kewl: :claps: :) johnny "the Ratt Boy"

Got Stripers
03-07-2004, 09:36 PM
I think it was a good show and RISAA did a good job, my hats off to them for a first time event they did well. I know I like the loading, unloading better, I'm dreading the unloading at MSBA, up the stairs from Hell.

BigFish
03-07-2004, 09:57 PM
We will be there Bob to get you in quickly and easily like last year, unfortunately, last year, a couple of vendors caused us some problems that wound up making the exit from our show more difficult for everyone.....so hopefully that will not be the case this year. Remember, we are there to try and make it as easy as we can for the vendors.:)

UserRemoved1
03-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Bigfish you guys did a great job last year. No complaints...You're bigger than me anyways :D

missing link
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
We will be there Bob to get you in quickly and easily like last year, unfortunately, last year, a couple of vendors caused us some problems that wound up making the exit from our show more difficult for everyone.....so hopefully that will not be the case this year. Remember, we are there to try and make it as easy as we can for the vendors.:)

BF if you need any help getting all the people set up. i can swing down to the mall early and help out on the weekend.l.. thats if i'm not working :smash:

Jr Link

maddog2020
03-07-2004, 11:13 PM
The Civic Center is a HUGE change from the small hall they had when I went to the RISAA used tackle swap/sell two years ago.

I went to my first MA Bass show last year. That was the best saltwater show I have attended so far. Lots more custom plug makers, more custom rod makers and more tackle of all sorts. Hatteras Outfitters stood out and I could have stayed at their boot for hours messing with all the accessories for the Abus! :D They had a huge pile of custom rods as well. :) Very knowledgable staff when it came to distance casting.

My biggest complaint about MA Bass is the ventilation down in the basement. :( It was HOT down there. I was sweating up a storm......LOL. They need to turn on the A/C ! It got cramp down there real fast and it was hard to move around. More food choices at that mall for sure.

RISAA show beef would be the boats. I don't want to see boats at a saltwater fishing show.....lol. If I wanted to see boats I would go to a boat show. ;) Ditch the boats and get more local stores to participate. Easy for me to say, I don't have a clue how much a table costs.

Just my two cents. No offense to either organization. I do my best to spend lots of $ at the shows. :D

BasicPatrick
03-08-2004, 12:10 AM
guys,

lets let this thread die...2 great organizations and no one would want to get any sh&*&^t started between them.

Iam sure both shows will be excellent in the end

UserRemoved1
03-08-2004, 07:15 AM
Very True Patrick

I have a secret deal for some Baloney and SAUSAGES :D

Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Iam sure both shows will be excellent in the end

DZ
03-08-2004, 08:38 AM
RISAA did a great job for their first show. That said, I still like the MSBA show because I like to shop at a show. More booths at MSBA seem to sell items. MSBA has more of a surf fishing feel to it. Also parking at the MSBA was free. Parking at the RI convention center was hell on Saturday - there were three other venues going on at the same time as the fishing show - a pet show, dance competition, and PC basketball game. $7.00 bucks to park and $10 bucks for the show - a little steep.
DZ

Crafty Angler
03-08-2004, 08:47 AM
Geez, D, $7 to park? I wish I could say that - and I did it 3 days in a row, too, but I was an exhibitor. Time was precious and I just couldn't afford to wait for 20 or 30 minutes to get into the cheaper lot run by the CC.

Overall I thought it was pretty well run for a 1st time event, talked to an old friend who is one of the organizers, he said next year will be bigger and better. Heard an attendance figure near 8K being bandied about.

Haven't been to MassBass before tho I've wanted to go - will go this year, looks like I'll be with the SWE crew again but will more than likely attend as a civilian (maybe, not sure yet). Maybe we can go up together with a coupla of the other Usual Suspects like Uncle Zeke or Too Tall Babinski.

Talk to ya soon.

BigFish
03-08-2004, 10:03 AM
BasicPatrick...as stated earlier this is a general question to feed my own curiosity, not MSBA related and not intended to stir controversy.....so far the only one who has intimated a problem has been you.:smash: Kill off your own threads if you want but I started this thread for myself as I missed the RISSA show and was curious to know how people would compare the two.:fishslap:

fishaholic18
03-08-2004, 10:09 AM
BF, is it possible to hijack your own thread?:laughs:

BigFish
03-08-2004, 10:14 AM
Definately.......what were we talikng about again???:confused:

fishaholic18
03-08-2004, 10:18 AM
I forget. So, how are ya today BF?
:)

rwilhelm
03-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I thought the show was well done. There was a good turnout at least on Sat, it was packed. Got to meet Joe Lyons and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&. Also attended RI Poppers seminar on topwater tactics for stripers which I thought was very entertaining and picked up some info. I am sure there were some other members at his seminar it was packed.

Fisherwoman
03-08-2004, 12:16 PM
BC & I went to the show yesterday and we thought if was pretty good. Of course we have to take care of "salty" the (bolognie master) at the msba show but not a problem, thanks for the plugs bugger!!! But seriously I think they are both great show's. It was nice to see some different vendors than the MSBA show has, which is good for the businesses that get to participate. I know one thing for shore after helping with the MSBA show for years. It takes alot of work from alot of people, who put in alot of volunteer time to pull a great show off. MY Hat goes off to both clubs for putting on great shows!!!!

flatts1
03-08-2004, 12:34 PM
What fisherwoman said!

FWIW, I also went with a friend (not a member of either club). He liked the show but thought MSBA's was a little better. Although he wishes that MSBA would bring back Frank Daignult.

Mike

RIROCKHOUND
03-08-2004, 01:27 PM
DZ.. didnt see you there, saw Ed "Too Tall" B through the crowd but he turned a corner and I was talking to someone else...
But I have a present for you at the next meeting....

rexhamer
03-08-2004, 02:58 PM
My $0.02. I attended yesterday (Sunday) morning. Let me say right off that anything negative is not meant as a criticism, but just an observation for your consideration - both MSBA and RISSA.

I have attended the MSBA shows for about five years now - two in Braintree, two at Cordage Park in Plymouth and last year's in the basement of the Independence Mall. I have always maintained they were the best fishing shows I ever attended because the focus is entirely on saltwater fishing (as opposed to Worcester which is really a sportmans' show. "Not that there's anything wrong with that.") But I liked the RISSA a little better for the following reasons:

1) Larger venue. Cordage Park was the best MSBA venue. The mall venue is very cramped and poorly lit. Easy to find, large aisles, clean and well lit.

2) Seminars. I enjoyed the three seminars I attended yesterday very much. Fun, informative, and to the point. However, the acoustics were tough, but that may just be a function of the hall. The separate seminar rooms at Worcester are great. RISSA should have had Al Gags give a presentation - he is very entertaining.

3) Quantity of exhibitors. I do not have hard numbers to compare, but RISAA must have has over 100 booths. (On the other hand - I received a flyer at the Boston Boat Show that promised 250 booths.)

4) Boats. Although there were only a handful, it adds to the atmosphere. MSBA used to have a few in the parking lot at Cordage Park.

5) RISSA volunteers. Lots of them and very helpful. You couldn't swing a dead eel without hitting someone in one of those denim shirts!!

Didn't like:

1) Location (distance). Not really a negative because I drove from Boston, and that is my choice. But the MSBA show is closer for me.

2) Parking. Again - I realize there is probably not much you can do given the venue, but MSBA is free.

Regarding combined shows with one in the fall. My only concern would be getting people (anglers) to volunteer so much of their time during peak fishing season. It is obvious that it takes a tremendous amount of effort to put on a show of this kind.

But we (my wife and I) had a great time yesterday and look forward to next year, as well as the MSBA show later this month.