View Full Version : Stripers Unlimited

Polish Prince
06-17-2001, 09:45 AM
Hey guys,

In 1970 while a graduate student at LIU I helped with a reserach project for a man named Bob Pond and his group called Stripers Unlimited. He was in the business of making Atom Plugs but also an avid proponent to save stripers. We worked on a spawning project on the Nanticoke River in the Chesapeake with the maryland DFG.
Is that groiup still around and what about Atom Plugs --- Am i dating myself as well as being out of touch - ha ha ha

john

JohnR
06-17-2001, 11:12 AM
Bob Pond is getting up there in years and sold the business quite a few years back. He made a big difference in making people aware conservation and what's best for the fish.

I was told Stripers Unlimited is/was in a tough time at the moment where it had just about fallen apart but there is an effort underway to restore the club in the future.

Patrick
06-17-2001, 11:32 AM
Yep, atom plugs are still around. Bob Pond and Stan Gibbs were creators of some of the finest surf plugs and their creations have fooled millions of stripers and bluefish. They both are truly pioneers. They ignored the "finnish" style of lure and put their thoughts towards distance. The Gibbs casting swimmer is old and it is almost perfectly aerodynamic.

Atom plugs are no longer made of wood like they used to be. They are made out of molded plastic that is weighted. His lures like the Atom Swimmer and Atom Jr. are monsters. The Jr is 2 and 1/4 oz and the Swimmer is heavier. The colors have changed slightly but I don't know much about that.

Jaiem
06-18-2001, 08:51 AM
Polish,

Are you the guy who used to have the Polish Princess charter operation out of Port Washington?