View Full Version : Rod/Reel match

basswipe
03-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Very soon I'll be the owner of a Tica 8ft md/hvy spin rod.I have a Slammer 560 or 5500ss which I could switch from one rod to the other as needed,but I'm of the mind set that each rod should have its own reel.
With that in mind.....I've heard A LOT about the Shimano Stradic reels here,all good.
I have yet to see the Stradic in any local shops and I prefer to actually handle the reel before I buy,but you guys here who already own one give the Stradic rave reviews and thats good enough for me.Mail order don't frighten me.
For the above mentioned rod which would be the better match up the 6000 or the 8000?
BTW any thoughts on the Spheros?

maddog2020
03-13-2004, 12:15 PM
The Spheros line is top notch. I've had my 8000 now on the 2nd season. More features on it like the Baitrunner (waterproof drag & AR bearings for example). I use my 8000 on rods from 8.5 - 10'.

I haven't seen the 8' Tica rods. Look at the size of the guides on it to determine the size reel you need. I've used my 8000 on a 7' before, but that rod has huge oversized guides on it. What weight/line rating is the Tica? If the rod feel light go with the 6000, if the rods a bit tip heavy go with the 8000.

The Stradic line many people rave about. It does come with an extra aluminum spool, but it costs at least a bit more $.

Look at the 3500B Shimano Baitrunner - I love mine for plugging as well as the occasional chunk of biat. Around the same $ as the Spheros.

Go to a local store and try out reels on your rod. You don't save much or at all after you pay shipping. Typically prices are fixed on Shimanos. Support your local stores. They can steer you to some good fishing spots as well. ;)