View Full Version : Abu 7000c3

Homerun04
03-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Okay Abu heads, I have a question for ya all.....how come my 7000c3 casts like s**t....?? I have tried everything down to loosening the brake as much as I can, but I still get very little distance out of it. If I thighten the brake to prevent overspooling, the thing is so tight that it's worthless trying to even cast anything with it.

What am I doing wrong? I love the reel, but am tired of chunking with it. I've had it looked at by the factory and they say that everything is alright with it.

Any guesses folks.....besides telling me I am a crappy caster.......I don't think that is the case.

BigFish
03-13-2004, 10:22 PM
I think it is a loose nut behind the reel....:laugha: You backin down all your drags first and setting them accordingly? I set mine each time I head out, back them off after each use and reset the drags with a few practice casts and adjust accordingly as I go. I am still pretty raw with mine as I have not been using conventional too long but that is what I do and it casts flawlessly and far. Can't beat catching fish on a conventional setup!:btu:

Slingah might be able to help?:confused:

Slingah
03-13-2004, 10:25 PM
i'm a novice with the convench

BigFish
03-13-2004, 10:28 PM
You know more than me dude! How long you been using conventional Homerun04?:confused:

Homerun04
03-13-2004, 10:29 PM
I have both the Shimano Calcutta 700 and the Abu 7000c3....both great reels, but I want to use the Abu more.

goosefish
03-13-2004, 10:33 PM
With my 7000s I leave enough play in the spool so I can feel a slight bit of endplay when i work the spool back and forth. The spool should be in free spool when you test this. You don't want to have any grease on the worm gear--only oil-- or on the gears inside the left side plate( the ones that drive the levelwind). If the worm gear has grease it will slow the reel down. Try cleaning the bearings and then put a light oil on them. I use rocket fuel, the red one.

goosefish
03-13-2004, 10:49 PM
Another way to speed up the 7000s is to take out the brake blocks. There're four in there, I'd take out all of them and see how the spool spins.

Homerun04
03-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Thanks Goose.....will do as suggested and see if that makes a difference....

SeaWolf
03-14-2004, 10:00 AM
abu's usually come from the facotry pretty dry in the bearings and w/ grease on the levelwind worm gear. you need to take apart the bearings, clean them, and oil them again. the worm gear uses a slightly thicker oil and not grease for lube. then, remove the 4 large brakes inside the spool and put 2 small ones. this will inprove your casting a lot and you will learn how to use your thumb. also, go to the beach and cast, cast, cast. use a lead weigh of metal lure and break in the bearings. another word of advice, go buy ron arra's book on distance casting and reel maintenance.