View Full Version : killer, disease infected ticks

schoolie monster
06-29-2000, 01:02 PM
John R... dude, you may want to clean out your truck, gear, etc. this weekend. I had a shirt in my truck and I threw it on while shooting hoops last night. I took a shower afterwards and found a mutant tick on my chest trying to burrow his way straight to my heart. A couple weeks ago, I found a similar critter in my garage.

Since we frequent the same haunts, you may want to keep an eye out. I'm sterilizing everything. That goes for fisherwoman and baitcaster too... I'm betting that they are hitchin' a ride on my surf bag after sittin' in the grass.

Even though I'm now infected with Lyme's disease and Rocky Mtn. Spotted Fever, let me know what you're up to this weekend, as it may be my last chance to fish before these diseases take their toll.

Later dude.

ps... Fisherwoman, sorry to hear you're on the IR... good luck with your diagnosis and recovery.

fisherwoman
06-29-2000, 01:22 PM
OK tick man, there are treatments out there now for limes disease. So don't panick!!!!! Did the tick actually attach himself to you or was he just getting started. Mature limes ticks are the size of a pencil head so if you were able to see it it is probably a regular deer tick which can be harmless. Keep an eye on the spot were the tick was, if you start to develope a bullseye looking mark, it is time to go see the doc, or if you start to have problems like blurred vision, nausia, upset stomach, dierrea, vomiting, joint pain, these are all symptoms of limes disease. So don't give up on the fishing just yet. You may want to put a little note on you calender when you found the tick, as for anyone out there that finds a tick, put it in a sealed jar if you have been bitten and take it with you to the doctor. These ticks can be identified as to what type they are and will help you and your doctor if you need to get treatment.

Just got back from the surgeon, he says he thinks it is just a severly pulled muscle in my neck. More pills and I'm on my way to recover again. Need to fish bad!!! Thanks for the good wishes schoolie monster. If you have any more questions about the tick thing just give me a call.

schoolie monster
06-29-2000, 02:04 PM
The little bastard's pincers were in, but he had just started. He took some skin when I pulled him out, but he came out clean. I hope he hadn't gotten so far as to inject any saliva. Yeah, I'll watch for symptoms... rash, fever, muscle aches, joint swelling, flu, premature death... if any of these develop within 3-12 days, I'll get checked out.

I taped him to a piece of cardboard and noted the date, etc. The 99% alcohol I bathed him in kinda took the spunk out of him.

He (or she) is a pretty big bastard, so I'm not too concerned. But... just wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Good news about the neck... would hate to see it cut into too much of your season. A few muscle relaxants and you'll be set.

Well, gotta go... I'm feeling very fatigued and feverish. Later.

fisherwoman
06-30-2000, 07:49 AM
Hey tick bitten, how are you feeling today, was wondering if you have pets on the home front, this time of year, dogs and cats can pick up ticks pretty easily. Hope your not too ill. Thanks for the heads up though, we will keep an eye out for them little buggers. Say hello to that fish slaying wife of yours for us. Baitcaster did pretty good on the boat yesterday. They got about 70 fish all on top water, but it was tuff, alot of fish around but pretty slow pickins, very calm water, needed more wind. Fish were between 24" and 29 1/2".

schoolie monster
06-30-2000, 02:30 PM
I'm good... other than the rash currently covering 70% of my body. Do you think that's a problem?

I gots a black labrador. Tough to check her for ticks because of her hair color, but I've been watching her. We usually get her a tick & flea medicine, but we forgot this year. I'll get it now.

Yeah, I hope we get some wind this weekend because I'm gonna hit the spot... maybe tomorrow morning. I need some fish! I'm sure you're dyin' to get out too. Hopefully, the fish will hit the spot also.

Well, just about time to pack it in for the week. Talk to ya. Later.

fisherwoman
06-30-2000, 04:22 PM
Glad to hear that the rash is only on 70% of your body, I think you will make it, check the dog of ten around the neck and ear area, thats were they try and hook on them, or on there under side belly. Maybe will see ya there tomorrow, not sure yet, maybe not till next week when the tides are better.