View Full Version : Thread tension

fishaholic18
03-15-2004, 10:44 AM
I built my own rod wrapper, It's not fancy but it works great. The problem I'm having is finding a thread tensioning device that works. I bought these from Cabella's but they work like s@%$#^
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jhtml?id=0011077315950a&navAction=jump&navCount=0&indexId=&podId=0011077&catalogCode=IE&parentId=&parentType=&rid=&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fcatalog%2Fitem-link.jhtml.1_A&_DAV=search&hasJS=true
I am having trouble finding a different type. Any ideas? Thanx.

Bawana
03-15-2004, 11:41 AM
whats it doing that you dont like

fishaholic18
03-15-2004, 11:46 AM
I get inconsistant tension, and it bings up the thread solid at time. I've tried 2 different ones with the same problems.

Bawana
03-15-2004, 12:03 PM
I tried earlier to send longer reply but was having problem with board.Are you trying to go straight up from this to blank?I have this same basic set up on power wrapper and it seems Ok except if set to tight on metalics it will break up the metalic cover.My set up goes from this to an eye bolt because it wont feed up from this at angle to blank from thread carridge. when I used to wind by hand I held thread in other hand while turning blank.Just thumb and forefinger in the holes on ends of spool .also has to be able to move down blank as its going on or it gets to much of an angle in feed and thread wants to back over itselfone way and leaves gaps in thread if to far out in front

fishaholic18
03-15-2004, 12:08 PM
I'm having problems with the site myself. I am going into the tensioner at an angle from the spool of thread, maybe this is my problem. I'll correct that and try again. Thanx

Fishaddict
03-15-2004, 02:52 PM
Have found that I do not like those types of thread tension devices. Like you, I found it very hard to get consistant tension. And it's almost impossible to use them with matallics. You can make your own carriage very easly out of a piece of threaded rod, and a few nuts, washers, and springs. I like this much better. Just make sure you have two washers together on each side of the spool to so it rolls nice and smooth. Use a wing nut to lock down the regular nut so it dosen't tighten up or loosen while the thread is spinning. Whole set up costs just a few dollars and and hour or so to put together. Might be worth a try.

Fishaddict
03-15-2004, 02:53 PM
here is another view.. sorry for the pic quality..

PNG
03-15-2004, 04:25 PM
Bob - Try putting some plastic/nylon washers between the metal washer & the spool, both sides. Smooths it right out.

Then a spring steel wire with a loop or small wheel to guide the thread. Positioned properly it will take up tension when you back the rod up.

As far as the clamp (sewing machine) tensioner they just dont work well.

Fishaddict
03-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Chris,
Where can I get a piece of spring steel like that. I have been looking all over for one. Even tried the hobby shops to see if they had RC antenna, but they only use plactic ones now.
Thanks
Bob

fishaholic18
03-15-2004, 11:35 PM
I've been looking for sping steel myself with no luck. I read a post on using a hacksaw blade. I may try a car antenna if I can rig it with an eye somehow.

mikecc
03-16-2004, 08:41 AM
why couldn't you use 275 lb tooth proof fishing wire

fishaholic18
03-16-2004, 09:34 AM
Have you got any Mike? I have to take a ride up to get more stuff anyway.

PNG
03-16-2004, 03:49 PM
Clemens I think. Dont know his new web site, I'm sure someone hear does. Renzetti may have it also.

bud8fan
03-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Dont think John will mind me posting this link to #^&#^&#^&#^& French's new site.

http://www.candgtackle.com

I dont see the reverse tension spring in his catalog but that doesnt mean he doesnt have any?

Chris, Do you know if Renzetti still makes their 4 spool thread carriage? I mentioned this to Fishaholic but cant find it now.
Their 8 spool is $89.00 so the 4 spool if still available shouldnt be more than $60?
If I were Dave thats what I would try and get ahold of.
I got the 8 spool back when I had my homemade wrapper and just fabricated a bracket to make it work. Then when I decided to go for it and purchase a new Clemen's lathe I didnt need the thread carriage so just traded it for an extra support and other stuff.

Dave!! Go for it!! You have seen with your own eyes how easy it is to back up and correct with the reverse tension setup.

Bawana
03-16-2004, 07:10 PM
hey bob if you want it real smooth I have some sheet teflon. its like 3 or four inches wide you can make you own washers. It cuts pretty easy with razor blade and its what I gave to Smitty to use under the 4 Oz spools when he was having a problem with them sticking from the weight.The set-up you have is like the 9 carriage set up on the other clemens wrapper I have.This has the spring wire on it also.It was a copy of the renzetti wrapper.If all you need is the wire I have a bunch of real small spreader bars and can give you one that you could make two wires by cutting it in half.I think they are stainless.I was having a problem with the tension devise like the one asked about the other day.Usually I just put in hand held bobbin but I was putting red metallic thread inlay into metallic brown under wrap and I didnt have enough hands. With tension backed way off on the brown It only took a couple of tries to get it to work.

Fishaddict
03-19-2004, 07:39 PM
Steve, thanks for the offer on the teflon.. just might have to take you up on that..:D

Sent an email to Renztti to see if they still offered their 4 spool carriage, and if they sold their wire tension device separately. Well after three days now, still no reply. Got to love great customer service..:smash:

mikecc
03-19-2004, 07:50 PM
I got some of that wire and you can take a look at he spool carrage I have for ideas.
I'll bring it to the shop for the weekend.
don't hold your breath for an return email from ranztti

Bawana
03-22-2004, 11:44 AM
If you need Teflon just let me know.The more I use the carrige on this wrapper the less I like it.Probably why it wasn*t on that wrapper that was E-bay they took it off and threw it away.With the 4 oz spools on it the weight cocks it and it moves kinda stiff.should add roller to bottom so it moves freely while winding.I think I*m going to try settig up something on it with the other style tension devise for the metallics.Got to spend last Friday In your town with the old lady.She took the three dogs for walk and fell on some Ice and broke her leg in three places.well one spot but 2 fractures and one break.Luckily someone saw her fall and gave her phone to call me to come and get her and the zoo. 5 and1/2 hours later she has a nice fiberglass cast to wear for the next two months at least.Trying to figure out how to get her leg on wrapper maybe a nice split diamond wrap on that Glass cast.

Fishaddict
03-25-2004, 05:37 AM
Bawana.... Sorry to hear about your wife.... Just never know how the day is going to end do you............:huh:

Well finally got a reply from Renzetti.. ( after only 7 days)
And they no longer sell the smaller four spool carriage for standard thread spools. And still do not know if they sell their spring steel thread relief bars separately or not. They didn't answer that question...

Mike thanks for the offer to look at your carriage and get a few ideas. I'll most likely be down after the show on Sunday if I don't go broke before I leave there.....:D

Bawana
03-25-2004, 02:17 PM
What show ---am I about to miss something where they might be selling more blanks I dont need but have to have?????

KenM
03-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Forget the wire and get a hacksaw blade.
Problem with the wire is it moves from side to side.
Grind the teeth of a hacksaw blade fasten a screw hook to one end with washers and nut and the other end fasten to your jig.

KenM

Saltheart
04-02-2004, 10:53 PM
use fly tying thread bobbins