View Full Version : Gibbs Swimmer

Rob C.
03-15-2004, 02:57 PM
I picked up a Gibbs casting swimmer 2oz. for 8 bucks, looks like a good deal. I havent feished these lures yet. How deep do they swim? Also, its white with a red head, is this a good color? And since im on a roll with the questions... Should i put a bucktail on the back? I know the Gibbs plugs have a good reputation. Just trying to get the most bang for the bucks.

BigFish
03-15-2004, 03:26 PM
Definately bucktail it!:btu: How deep they swim depends on how fast you retrieve.;)

Flaptail
03-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Icksnay on the bucktail. Work that plug in fast water and jig it. That's right work it like a jig. Pull up and reel down then repeat the fish will take it as it stops and is about to take off again. Made a lot o' dough with those way back when.

BigFish
03-15-2004, 03:32 PM
Do what Flaptail says, he is a lot more seasoned than me but I have caught plenty with the bucktail.:happy:

Nebe
03-15-2004, 03:42 PM
Ask Frank Daignault what he thinks of the bottle swimmer... :hihi:

Flaptail
03-15-2004, 04:08 PM
He don't know everything all the time. ( come to think of it niether do I ) but I know they work now and then. The most luck with them has been at the Canal and Monomoy where the tide runs wild.:D

Mr. Sandman
03-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Personally I have always found the bottle plug to be a must have in your bag, even today. I use the larger size plug and I would replace the hooks with VMC's. I never had that much more success with a bucktail on the rear but you might have different luck. I think a dropper (or teaser) ahead of it is a better possiblity.

I generally used in in rips and drop-offs or where there is good moving water and deep water nearby. After it lands I reel it until the line gets tight then generally pull it once to "set" it in and get its lip to bite and the plug swimming with its wobble and start reeling. Then I just reel it as slow as I can but just fast enough to keep the action going. It depends on how fast the current is. But you can figure it out after a couple casts. You want the plug to get swept along with the moving current but appear to be in trouble or injured. These cast much better then a light weight balsa or plastic lipped plug...esp into the wind. They have a more lumbering motion then the rebels, redfins, mambo's hence work better in rougher water.

If you jig it like Flap suggests you will feel a rapid "heartbeat" like tug from its motion and then pause. Sometimes this works too. I would mix up your retrieve and find what works for your conditions.

This is a proven plug (and one of the best wooden plugs during its day) and many a surfaster mowed a lot of big fish with it. There was a time when just before the initial needlefish craze where everyone used these from the surf at night. Yellow, white and black were the ones to have.

The only problem with these plugs is the wooden lip will wear out if you use it going over bars and muscle beds like I do. I have a many with worn out lower lip that I retired to a box somplace or the trash. I tried putting a little epoxy on there and it helps a little, but it still gets beat up. They swim best when new.

good luck with it.

Rob C.
03-15-2004, 10:35 PM
Considering i do most of my fishing in the canal it looks liked i picked a winner. Thanks for the feedback.

NIB
03-16-2004, 08:41 AM
Old Blue eyes an gold eyes.:D one of my favorite plugs.

IFG
03-16-2004, 11:13 AM
While Im no expert I have done some experimentation with all kinds of gibbs lures I think sandman said something about changing to VMC do it before you swim it gibbs hooks tend to be dull. If you know what yer doing change out the swivels too they corrode up quick.

I work the swimmer in the canal almost parallel to the shore because thats how the fish that size run through. Unless there's a huge school of mackrel or something. I run it iratic, high speed for about 5 seconds [like it's running] this let's the bass think it's panic then they'll think easy pickin, then give it a jerk and wait for about 5 more seconds repeat. When you fell a hit dont move let them take it [I know I repeating some well known stuff] the stun shot is the same as on top water. What bigfish said is essential or else it looks like a tail-less peice of junk and they ain't gonna hit it.

On the beach run it parallel and teaser it [liek sand man said]no bass is gonna belive readily that a big fish like that is just swimin around aimlessly. The simmer should have a tight swimming action so dont be afraid to modify to improve. Im with sandman on running it in rips it really brings out the action.

Enjoy it thier alot of fun