View Full Version : A complete rookie needs help.

Rob C.
03-16-2004, 01:47 PM
I want to build a rod for the canal. I will mostly be bucktailing and plugging. I use a Shimano corsair 400, similar in size to the calcutta 700. I want to build a rod. A 2 piece 9-10 foot, it will be my first so i want to make it on the cheap. Is it possible to make a 2 piece from scratch, most i have heard talked about are all 1 piece. If i cant make a 2, i will make a 1 piece. Thanks for any help.

Bawana
03-16-2004, 07:25 PM
Yes you can do both 9 and 10 in two piece.The 400 corsair is more like the calcutta 400 then the 700 which is a lot bigger.If this is a first rod contact Mike at M+d tackle.he is a board sponcer and can help you with all you need to build.IT might actually be cheaper for him just to make one for you then to buy all you will need especially if your only going to build one.He is right at the end of Wareham center by the narrows

spence
03-17-2004, 09:14 AM
I just had a rod for this same use built on the glass Lami SB1213M. It's a mid priced blank, not too heavy and has a lot of balls.

I think the better two piece blanks perform just fine, but there's something nice about a custom one piece. It's just meant to be that way. The usual space concerns can be dealt with.

I almost started to learn to build last year, but after careful consideration I realized that there isn't that much labor in building a rod, it's all in equipment and experience. If your goal is to have a nice rod, I'd get a builder to make you one so it's perfect. If you want to learn then have at it!

-spence

Goose
03-17-2004, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by spence
I realized that there isn't that much labor in building a rod, it's all in equipment and experience.

Forgot to mention....nice rods are time consuming. I epoxied my two peice sb1213m, never have to second guess it again.

Fishpart
03-17-2004, 10:22 AM
Been fishing 2 piece rods for 5 years now, both built by mikecc. I've never had any trouble with them flying apart. Can't really recommend any 9-10 foot blanks except maybe the All-Star 1145/2. I have the 1266/2 10 1/2 foot 2 piece it is rated for 2-5 oz and works quite well with an ABU 7000............

Shimano Corsair might be a little light for the canal.

Rob C.
03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I thought the corsair was going to be a bit lite for the canal as well, i was pleasantly suprised that it hung in there quite well. i have it spooled with 20 big game. During the fall run i musta brought in a hundred bass. The biggest was 27 pounds, the reel held up fine, the rod was struggling. I was using my flippin stick. ITs 7'6" has a pretty stiff action but it wasnt good at moving the fish around the rocks, gotta upgrade before the herring show up. Will probably upgrade the reel as well as soon as i get my taxes back. Sounds like buying a rod might be the way to go. Making a smaller spinning rod might be a bit better for my first time building. It will give me a feel for it. Some of the rods on this site are beautiful. Makes rod building into an art form.

spence
03-17-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Rob C.
Will probably upgrade the reel as well as soon as i get my taxes back.
I just found out my entire tax return is going towards a new boiler and getting my chimney lined/rebuilt. Good thing I blew my wad on rods last year!

-spence

Rob C.
03-18-2004, 01:04 AM
LOL, man i feel for ya. Last year i had all sorts of aspirations for the return, then while back in michigan for a visit my clutch bit the dust. And i blew a tie rod just for good measure.