View Full Version : Question regarding stripper fishing!

Chowdahead
03-17-2004, 02:15 AM
hey,
im just starting to get into stripper fishing. ive been freshwater fishing for about 10 years and live in rhode island so it was inevitable that i would do some salt water angling. I did some bay fishing last year managing a few strippers and blues but very inconsistent. i know what to use but dont know when to start fishing for thebass and where are some good spots?

any advice would be much appreciated.

Crafty Angler
03-17-2004, 05:45 AM
Hi Chowdahead :wavey: - welcome aboard with your first post!

You'll get a lot of info here, some of the guys who are S-B members and post here have been around the block more times than a Good Humor truck. And they're sometimes willing to help a newbie if they think he - or she - is a good person, so you may find a mentor.

That's the coolest part of the game - and this site in particular, guys who are willing to share a little (sometimes more) info with a newcomer who shares their passion for it. In other words, same as it's always been for generations, older guys passing on their knowledge to the next generation.

However, just as in any tackle shop or on the beach or rocks, ya gotta follow some protocols if you want to improve your skills. Be polite. Be respectful of your elders (some of these guys are even older than me and I'm gonna start pooping rust any day now.) Listen and learn and eventually with some exploration on your own you'll start doing okay - most of surfcasting is a lot like work, but the good kind.

The one thing that will turn off a potential mentor will be asking for a good spot right off the bat. That's the lazy man's way out - these guys have worked hard to find them or had it handed down to them from a trusted friend or an older mentor - or they themselves have worked hard and put in a lot of hours to find it on their own. So that's the only thing I'd recommend avoiding in your quest. They don't want to find their favorite spot filled butt to belly-button with others guys waiting for a spot that may only accommodate one or two guys at most. Besides, most of the sharpies you'll find will be loner types protecting the knowledge they earned the old-fashioned way. They worked hard for it.

All that being said, I'll give ya a couple of pointers based on my experience, although I'm not claiming to be a 'sharpie' - I'm just an old guy and I've been doing it for a while.

When fishing for strippers:

1 - Bring a lot of singles and fives, but more singles.

2 - Chum 'em up with the singles, but save the fives for when
you feel like you've got their attention - and don't overchum
with the small stuff either.

3 - If you have been given the spot by an older or wiser sharpie,
don't go and tell every living soul you run into about it.

Good luck, welcome to S-B and lemme know how you make out as the season progresses. :cheers:

RickBomba
03-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Heck,
Forget what Chuck said about the fives, go straight for the $20's, that'll get you some for sure.
Also try telling them it's your batchelor party or that you are a rock star.
Finally, don't even try fishing for strippers when it's slack tide, for some reason they all congregate in the dressing room doing God knows what!
Later,
Rick:D

BigFish
03-17-2004, 08:37 AM
I will give you a good spot for stripper fishing......I prefer the front row right by the main stage.:uhuh: Always alot of action there, mostly at sunset, not too much at Dawn though unless she happens to be working!:laugha: I also chum with singles, bait seems to last alot longer that way.....however when a big fish is in striking distance, throwin' a couple of nickel plugs always helps the cause. Then when you hook up and bring that fish to its knees and get it right alongside the boat I like to lift it with a $10.00 bill, seems to make for good action all the way around.:drool: Happy stripper hunting Chowdahead and welcome to a very fun, wonderous and at times strange site. Enjoy!:btu:

Crafty Angler, you are too funny. Good way for me to start the day!:laugha:

CAL
03-17-2004, 08:58 AM
Ones and fives for the schoolies. If you want a keepah stripper you gotta use a big eel.

BigFish
03-17-2004, 09:02 AM
was one October night, no joke! It was my Birthday and my buddies had taken me to Zachary's, well after a couple hours of trollin' and cuttin' up bait ($20.00 bills) I actually landed the only stripper I ever caught......:huh:dated her for about a week! What beautiful lines she had but alas....I knew I could not keep her so back she went.:eek:

Try fishin' Zachary's though!:smash:

I had a big eel....still could not keep her?:eek:

Plug
03-17-2004, 09:03 AM
First tip chowda...

Learn to spell S-T-R-I-P-E-R, spelling it like tha dancing girl will get you a lot of good-humored abuse.

Of course you could just call them by their real name... rockfish.

Slipknot
03-17-2004, 09:04 AM
ya, first you have to know how to spell striper :smash: ;)

welcome to the addiction chowdahead

BigFish
03-17-2004, 09:05 AM
Make sure you don't try catching them with a fishing roid!:eek: Could be painful.;)

fishweewee
03-17-2004, 09:09 AM
You can still get a good deal on lap dances ($5.00 US) ... in Canada. Here in the states that would get you the busboy. :hihi:

BigFish
03-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Fishweewee, do strippers migrate that far north???:confused:

Goose
03-17-2004, 09:17 AM
I used to fish for stippers but my mom woulda got pissed if I where to take one home, plus alot them are to skinny and have big heads. :hee:

JohnR
03-17-2004, 09:43 AM
I once dated a.... Well, being a gentlemanly site we won't go there - but like BF said, it was great while it lasted...

Welcome to the site and their only called "Rocks" once you get sou' of Jersey - hi Plug :wavey:

Crafty Angler
03-17-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi John :wavey:

Geez, don't tell me you got another weather day - boy, have I got the wrong job!

RIJIMMY
03-17-2004, 10:01 AM
CHowdahead, here a tip you can use... go to www.surfcasting-rhodeisland.com

That's Joe Lyon's site and he is one of the site's sponsers. Joe sells a book called "Fishing New England - A Rhode Island Shore Guide". This will provide you with a lifetime of fishing spots in RI. Many of the spots are major bass producing areas. ALso Joe is a shore guide and if you have the $, its worth it to get first hand training. My other advice is: Fish at night, and fish early morning hours and night fall.
Observe whats around you, fish are animals and are in tune with the wind, tides and moon, you need to be too.
good luck and have fun.

rwilhelm
03-17-2004, 10:26 AM
Welcome I second that book I bought it last year and it is very detailed giving you tips as to what tide is best at different spots, where to park, and it even gives you directions. I usually start around the middle of April for the schoolies coming in, but some people even start early April. It depends how the weather is as to when they start showing.