View Full Version : Cabela's Ripcord, Cortland Spectron, and a Penn reel survey.

Patrick
06-22-2001, 02:23 AM
Looking through Cabela's catalog. They now have 3 versions of Ripcord. My question is, what's the difference?! One is plain old Ripcord, the other is Ripcord SI, and now this new one is Ripcord Six. I looked at the specs of each of them. Nothing different really. Same stuff. What is their angle? Looking for better behavior?

While we are on the subject of braids. Tell me about the Cortland Spectron. Diameters and stuff. Plus, how is it behaved to the Super braids like Whiplash and compared to fused lines like Fireline? What class does it fall into?

Now the final topic. Penn conventional reels. For bait fishing, which would you rather have? The new flashy Penn 525 mag or the old Squidder? Secret option C is a Squidder with magnets in it.

Jaiem
06-22-2001, 11:30 AM
I believe Cortland spectra is hollow. That makes it helpful for splicing lines for loops, especially for making offshore wind-on leaders.

Patrick, if you're just wondering out loud that's one thing. But if you're thinking of using it, at this early stage of your fishing career IMO you really shouldn't be worrying over what super line to use. Get many more seasons of mono fishing under your belt under many different conditions before you experiment with super lines. You'll enjoy things more and save a lot of money.

Mike P
06-25-2001, 11:52 AM
Rip Cord is overpriced. $60 or so for 400 yards of Si. It's a flat line, too, not round like Whiplash, Spectron or Power Pro.

Save your money, and stick to the above brands. Don't use Spectron on a reel like the 525 or Squidder that doesn't have a level wind---it's like running your thumb over a band saw. It's the toughest braid of them all, but that abrasion resistence comes at a price, and the groove it will cut in your leveling thumb is that price.

With the magnet set on zero, the 525 mag is actually harder to control than a Squidder. Plus, it isn't nearly as durable and maintenence free. Twice the price, half the line capacity, too. It's your call on that one, but if you're going to use line heavier than 20# mono, the 525 isn't big enough. A Squidder with Gowge's mag conversion might be the way to go. After you educate your thumb, you can buy a new left side plate for the Squidder if the mag can't be removed and is limiting your cast. You'll still be about $50 ahead of the game than if you bought the 525 Mag.