View Full Version : Drilling through wire holes???

Hip
03-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Do you guys have a jig you place the plug in to make the hole straight??? How is this done. I am assuming to make two holes in the ends to start...how do you get it through straight?? Eye it up? Jig? And what size bit is it??? Thanks.....Keith

Hip
03-17-2004, 11:44 AM
16 people checked this out and nobody can help me...LOL:crying:

Im chomping at the bit! I want to drill things! :bounce:

saltyric
03-17-2004, 12:04 PM
Hip - I think if you search the past posts, you will find all the answers. I drill mine on the lathe, so a jig is not needed. In the past, I have used my drill press with a jig. I mark the center of both sides of the wood, and used the jig to hold the wood "true" to the drill bit. I aleays start the holes with a "stub" drill, then drill through with a longer bit. Hope this helps.

http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11862&highlight=plug+drilling

Hip
03-17-2004, 12:13 PM
I should have thought of that.....Lots of good info.

Karl F
03-17-2004, 12:34 PM
This is a helpfull step by step for the lathe drilling method.
Works great.

capesams step by step (http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12325&highlight=drill)

meybe this one should be in the FAQ forum?

spence
03-17-2004, 01:30 PM
I've been using the vertical L shaped jig to drill a starter hole in each end, then a long bit to connect by hand...

-spence

RI Popper
03-17-2004, 09:38 PM
Hey Hip, Well I only drill a couple thousand a year and All the jigs and lathes methods would add considerable time for me. If you want to know what works best for me it is simple. Clamp a piece of 4'x4' to your drill press (if you have one) and drill a hole into the 4x4 the same size as the largest diameter of you plug. Then just stuff you plug in the hole and your center for the bit. I use a brad point 1/8 inch x-long fluted bit by W.L. Fuller company. Best bits on the market. Good luck. if you want to see it done, stop by I'll show you how.

Armand

jkswimmer
03-18-2004, 12:31 AM
This might help, what I do is . I hammer a roofing nail through a piece of scrap plywood so it goes through . Now use a long drill clamped in the chuck to line up the chuck with the nail point . Clamp plywood to table . place one end of dowel on nail and drill other end . Then drill other end with short drill . After both ends are drilled swing table aside use longer bit to drill through .I have a 95% success rate . No clamps or vises it is fast !!!