View Full Version : Ever had striped bass caviar?

striprman
03-17-2004, 03:51 PM
I caught a few bass that had eggs in them (orange), but I discarded the eggs. Have you or do you know if striper eggs make good caviar? I'd like to try it if I ever catch an egger again (I didn't think bass still holding eggs would be caught at the canal herring run, but I have got a few)

JohnR
03-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Take it for what it is but I've read somewhere that when the bass are up here and they still have eggs in them, they missed their spawning cycle. So those eggs might be a little, uhh, old. There is also supposedly a color significance where red was missed spawn, green was pre spawn or way after shoulda spawned...

Now if you are getting eggs on prespawn fish - that's obviously not good - not illegal but not good either...

striprman
03-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by JohnR
Take it for what it is but I've read somewhere that when the bass are up here and they still have eggs in them, they missed their spawning cycle. So those eggs might be a little, uhh, old. There is also supposedly a color significance where red was missed spawn, green was pre spawn or way after shoulda spawned...

Now if you are getting eggs on prespawn fish - that's obviously not good - not illegal but not good either...

Any one else have any information about the color of striper roe, and if it can be used to make caviar?

I think I have caught fish with both red and green eggs, would it be any good?

I don't think I'd like green caviar, but maybe

JohnR
03-17-2004, 04:36 PM
I guess one of the things I'm trying to say is how good would striper roe be if its 3 months past prime?

beachwalker
03-17-2004, 04:53 PM
John,

would that be known as "Green eggs and spawn "

:p