View Full Version : info please

Maine-beacher
03-19-2004, 02:28 PM
Hello everyone last year was first year surf fishing and i have been hooked bad so i am sure i will have a ton of questions leading into this season.last season was learning on my own though i had a little success i know there is a ton im doing wrong or need to know one question ive thought of lately is my rigging what works best for fishing chunk mackeral live mackeral and live eels? the eels seemed to ball themselves and twist line up ! thanks for any help guys

Dave:D

Nebe
03-19-2004, 02:35 PM
whack those eels on a rock or sprinkle a little tobacco on thier head.

I like dead eels.

RIROCKHOUND
03-19-2004, 02:37 PM
Eben Eben Eben....
Live eels are way better, unless we're talking rigged or skins... cause they are nice too....

Maine-iac

if your fishing the sand, drop the eel in the sand... easy to grip... make a quick cast or two (even if its 20 ft)... this calms the eel down... then cast and retrieve as slow as you can....

spence
03-19-2004, 02:42 PM
You can smack em, or ice them...regardless...hook them fast, keep them hanging and get them in the water. They will chill out after a cast or two.

-spence

Nebe
03-19-2004, 02:44 PM
I just like to kill things :D

with a little finnese you can make a dead eel swim just like a live one.

Moses
03-19-2004, 02:50 PM
For eels, check out the following.....

http://www.striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7020

Plus, definitely use the Search feature, tons of valuable info at your fingertips......

RIROCKHOUND
03-19-2004, 02:51 PM
"with a little finnese you can make a dead eel swim just like a live one."

Very true... sometimes I just let a mostly dead eel drift, no retrieve until it sinks to the bottom, the lift it again.. bass are scavangers as much as they are predators... hence the crabs and lobbies in their bellys

Ice is key... my boat set up is two buckets inside eachother, the top has a bunch of 1/4" holes in it... dump in the eels, add some ice, that way they wont drown....
In the surf I sometimes add Ice to my mesh bag, but usually they just hang on my belt...

chris L
03-19-2004, 02:52 PM
here is what I do .

Maine-beacher
03-19-2004, 03:02 PM
moses thanks article was informative
everyone is bieng helpful what about rigging?:kewl:

chris L
03-19-2004, 03:03 PM
here is what I do .

striprman
03-19-2004, 04:02 PM
I hook an eel with the point going up through the bottom jaw, through the roof of the top jaw and out the eyeball. I found that if you hook them through the mouth, they ball up more.