View Full Version : wooden plugs. Grain or No Grain?

Christian
03-19-2004, 07:10 PM
when your buying a wooden plug do you like seeing the grain of the wood? OR would you rather see a perfect smooth piece with no grain showing so you cant even tell its wood?

i know it really doesnt matter as long as it catches fish, but what do you think if you HAD to choose?:confused: :)

.................................................. ................................................
ME- i like to see some grain or little chips in the wood. sort of lets me knows its wood and i actually remember which plugs are which. like, for instance, which ones swim beter than others or which plug caught a certain fish. i had this one little danny that had 3 little chips in a row on its body and i just remember that one little plug for that reason.

Flaptail
03-19-2004, 07:21 PM
No grain equals a well turned and well finished plug, that's what I want to see. Grain visible means no pride in the finished product or lack of work ethic or both. Just my .02

UserRemoved1
03-19-2004, 07:32 PM
Wood has grain. If you want no grain then buy PLASTIC :eek: Every piece of wood is different....I think that's one of the beauties of wood.

TheRattBoy
03-19-2004, 07:45 PM
NO GRAIN, unless it's a natural finish, had this talk recently with Hab's and Tattoo and that's one of the things I really love about their plugs, NO grain, it makes those sweet paint jobs stand out even more.My .02,:) johnny "the Ratt Boy"

Slipknot
03-19-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Flaptail
No grain equals a well turned and well finished plug, that's what I want to see. Grain visible means no pride in the finished product or lack of work ethic or both. Just my .02

red cedar is one wood that is very difficult to produce a flawless finish on. I seriously doubt it would be the result of a lack of work ethic or no pride.
Maybe the grain showing will sometimes add to the realism of the plug looking like a fish.
Me personally, I would rather not see the grain showing thru, but that is just me. I build them to fish with and as long as they catch, then it's fine with me.

capesams
03-19-2004, 08:15 PM
I'm old school...I get heated if I see a little pecker hole or grain showing.

nor-easter
03-19-2004, 08:18 PM
I am not a plug builder but I have bought a few in my life time and have had a few wrecked by the fish that strike them.
To me, a plug showing its grain indicates a rough finish job and possible trouble ahead. Dependent on the way the grain is running makes a weak plug or a strong plug. I really good finish indicates to me a plug that is most likely sealed well and will not dry out and become weak in time.
Weak dried out open grained plugs can come back shattered, crack and broken. Through wires of course save the fish. Pined plugs can break apart and sometimes you are lucky to get the front half and fish back.
As noted above, I am not a plug builder but over the past half century plus I have had my share of problems.
However, taking into consideration the waters I fish, the currents present, the size of the quarry, and the tackle used, it is really amazing that more stuff does not break.

JHABS
03-19-2004, 08:38 PM
No Grains No Grains No Grains, Like to give my Customers There Moneys Worth, With a well Finished Product , Thats just how I do things.............

C-5 CC
03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by JHABS
[B, Like to give my Customers There Moneys Worth, With a well Finished Product , Thats just how I do things............. [/B]

Yours would be a bargain at twice the price:D ...not that I am encouraging you to raise the price.
Brandon

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 12:13 AM
i think plugs should sell for 10 bucks a pop

BasicPatrick
03-20-2004, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by bassmaster

Iagree Bm..so 5 Bm plugs for $50

oh yeah, no grain...I'm on atkins...just kidding

Krispy
03-20-2004, 01:38 AM
no grain

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Slipknot
red cedar is one wood that is very difficult to produce a flawless finish on. I seriously doubt it would be the result of a lack of work ethic or no pride.
Maybe the grain showing will sometimes add to the realism of the plug looking like a fish.
Me personally, I would rather not see the grain showing thru, but that is just me. I build them to fish with and as long as they catch, then it's fine with me.
Bruce I still have a fewhunks of red cedar left for those few plugs I make,cause ayc wont give the wood the right action, some times that crap is to heavy, But I epoxy the body spin wet sand and paint then epoxy.
when Ya come here i'll show them to Ya along with the other :devil: stuff.

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by BasicPatrick
Iagree Bm..so 5 Bm plugs for $50

oh yeah, no grain...I'm on atkins...just kidding
sure okay

CAL
03-20-2004, 10:54 AM

I got $1000 with your name on it :D

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 11:14 AM
maybe 5 bucks a plug

Nebe
03-20-2004, 11:37 AM
I will happily take any plugs that have grain showing off your hands:D

grain adds character and do you really think a fish cares if the grain is showing :huh:

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 11:39 AM
grain in plugs = no sanding and dull tools
4 bucks a plug now

spence
03-20-2004, 11:48 AM
I was just in the cellar looking at all my grainy plugs ready to paint :smash:

For the pro's I agree no grain makes for a cleaner plug, but I think it adds character...

-spence

JHABS
03-20-2004, 12:34 PM
IF you guys want CHARACTER, I will give you Character for the same PRICE. If someones paying 10 to 20 bucks for a PLUG or more He should have Quality not Character....... I would not want to buy a new BMW with CHARACTER just my .02................

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 12:38 PM
ok 3 bucks a plug and I have no grain chunks in mine

spence
03-20-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by JHABS
IF you guys want CHARACTER, I will give you Character for the same PRICE. If someones paying 10 to 20 bucks for a PLUG or more He should have Quality not Character....... I would not want to buy a new BMW with CHARACTER just my .02................
:D I'm coming at it from the, must make plugs quickly so I can feed the screaming baby angle. Not the turn out a top of the line product angle...:laughs:

-spence

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 12:53 PM
ok 2 bucks

CAL
03-20-2004, 03:55 PM
ok 2 bucks
Ok, I'll take the whole mancave. Where do I send the check?

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 06:46 PM
my x wife:smash: make that 1 buck

Slipknot
03-20-2004, 07:43 PM
Bassmaster, if you pay me one dollar each, I will take them off your hands :D final offer.

bassmaster
03-20-2004, 08:11 PM
ok I pay You 250 but thats it........

JHABS
03-24-2004, 04:24 PM
BM, Where's them $35.00 ones................. ;)

Krispy
03-24-2004, 05:17 PM
FishWeeWee bought them all :p
Habs, what you doing hanging out in the "Barn" with them jersey animals?? :eek: :)