View Full Version : small boat Q?

Krispy
03-20-2004, 08:40 PM
Anyone have experience running small and light boats out of and around breachways and Watch Hill type areas? I was wondering if a boat like this can handle those places well enough on nice days to be comfortable. My brother and I are looking at this model Starcraft (but not as nice) :)

http://www.stonecoastanglers.com/images/Photos/vessel2003.jpg

Uncle Matt
03-20-2004, 09:30 PM
krispy -

If im correct, thats a Mariner 180. I also have one, well had, that I just sold. I don't know about RI but I brought mine all around the outer cape last year. If the wind was wipping I had to go inside the bay. Pick your days and stay within a short trip from shelter or the ramp. The weather turns quickly as you know. I got caught out in an unsuspected small craft and got very wet fighting my way back in. I had water everywhere! My primary bilge pump failed and my backup's hose was clogged with seaweed. Scary but use your head and watch the weather. Other than that one incident, my boat was problem free and great to troll and jig with. That one in the picture is a beauty!

Goose
03-20-2004, 09:46 PM
Dude are you kidding that thing is sweetness, there ain't to much you can't do.

quick decision
03-21-2004, 09:38 PM
Thats a nice boat but keep one eye open for weather changes. It wont take much for you to get wet real quick.

fishsmith
03-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Small boats can do anything big boats can when the weather is nice, but once the white caps show(approx 15kts wind), you're in for a bumpy wet ride. Thats a big motor on a light boat, IMHO save $$ on fuel and total cost and go 75hp or less.

RIROCKHOUND
03-22-2004, 09:19 AM
Yeah you can get out the breachways in that.. but he ready to turn around if there is a good hump on... also remember to watch the tide when running the breaches....

Krispy
03-22-2004, 10:10 AM
This is NOT the boat Im buying, just the same model. 19' Starcraft w/ 70hp Evinrude.
Im not an offshore fisher I like to stay in close (maybe Fishers Island) I will want to fish many of the same spots I surfcast at night from the other side during the day
I was wondering if it will be comfortable to work the rips where it sometimes gets bumpy and confused and the water is running fast. I think it will be fine, esp. considering some of the other boats I see out there.
Thanks for your replys

sparky
04-02-2004, 08:44 PM
I have a 17' tracker and I launch at the ramp at barn island behind watch hill. Its skinny water at low tide but more than enough for that type boat. I had no problem reaching the breach ways and all of fishers island. I can only echo the advice of the others keep an I on the weather. I take a all weather radio with no matter how nice it looks. Saved my back side more than once.Have a safe season keep an eye to the sky.

Homerun04
04-02-2004, 10:22 PM
No sweat....unless I see you out there cutting through my troll line....then I'd say it is too small and you should stay home.....ha....:D :D

Nauti Buoy
04-05-2004, 01:36 PM
In protected waters that boat should serve you well. However, with that transon, be careful of following seas or backing down. Recently read a report on boats sinking at sea and it stated that most of the sinkings were due to water over the transom for the two reasons mentioned. Enjoy the water! ;)