View Full Version : Battery Exploded

Got Stripers
03-20-2004, 10:29 PM
Hooked up the boat this afternoon to get it ready to fish tomorrow and noticed the cover to one half of the cranking battery is laying on the deck. Look into the storage locker where I keep the cranking battery and on board charger and the top third of the cranking battery is missing. Plastic all over, acid laying in the tray and inside the compartment. Ironically I could still trim up the outboard as there was still juice. The lid was open so I don't see how any fumes built up to cause that and I'm wondering if it didn't have something to do with the charger, which I inhereted when I bought the boat a few years back.

A couple boxes of baking soda a good ten minute wash at the power wash and I think I'm good to go. New battery is in and everything seems to be working. I can only imagine what might have happened had I not left the lid open, as the explosion might have been far worse in a closed locker.

Has anyone ever seen this happen? Wierdest thing I've seen in a while, I'm just happy nobody was near it when it blew, that could have been nasty stuff.

redcrbbr
03-21-2004, 12:01 AM
bob, i probably have blown up maybe 3-4 batteries this winter. usually due to overcharging a frozen battery. i use a genpac to jump start heavy duty trucks when their batteries don't have enough juice. throw 600 amps into a frozen battery and sometimes they can't handle it.

fishaholic18
03-21-2004, 12:18 AM
Most likely overcharged, GS. Put that charger in the circular file.

MTC
03-21-2004, 05:53 AM
I stored my batteries inside on a wooden shelf this winter. I left them in til around Dec 12 whem I hauled out. I was cleaning some gear last Sunday when I noticed a lot of white corrision around the neg terminal so I took them out and washed them with water an Bacon soda. I dried them and gave them a trickel charge and sure enough the stuff is comming back. Are these batteries junk?

Van
03-21-2004, 12:06 PM
Battery explosions are due to the build up of hydrogen gas at the top of the battery.
We have done this analysis on bus batteries at work. BIG MESS !!

Make sure the water level is up there to minimize the head space for gas to build up.

It does take some kind of spark or overheat to get that gas to explode though. Severe negative plate/terminal rot can create local overheating. Look in there and see how bad it looks.
(It is almost always the neg side of a battery that rots out first.)

MTC. What you are seeing may be an indication that the neg side is rotting. Get a look inside if possible.

This is also why power plants and others that use large batteries have batteries with clear cases.

BEETLE
03-21-2004, 05:11 PM
originally posted by Van
This is also why power plants and others that use large batteries have batteries with clear cases.

Thanks for the lesson Van - I did not know that. :smash:

I was thinking the hydrogen going boom as well - :eek:

Van
03-21-2004, 10:24 PM
Beetle:

Saw your boss at the Mony's open house on saturday.

He ws calling you Mr. Grumpy or something !!!:eek: :eek: :smash:

You were working while he was shopping !!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

MTC
03-22-2004, 12:30 AM
WAS THIS BECAUSE I LEFT THE BOAT IN TOO LONG AND THEY FROZE?

I HAVE ONE FULL SEASON (300 HRS) ON THEM (9 MONTHS)...2 FOR MOST!

THANKS

BEETLE
03-22-2004, 05:55 AM
Van,

I tell him to shuddup and eat a donut.
I'll get him on the surf and burn off some of that fat. :D

Good luck with your batteries guys. :D

Mr. Sandman
03-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Batteries can be quite nasty when there is an internal or external problem...esp the real high end ones.
Take my word for it, never short out a laptop battery...unless you have a fire extinq. and space to run away. I saw a lab test that got out of hand and nearly burned down the lap and building.
Frankly I am surprised they let you take them on a plane at all. If you short these you are in for a nasty experience....but they took my pen knife away?:huh:

Van
03-22-2004, 04:29 PM
This is a job we did on a BIG battery explosion.

The pic is how they found it. Good thing no-one was near it when
it went.

Root cause-Low electrolyte/neg lug rot, and damage to pos lug also. Got a big headspace full of hydrogen.

The spark came from a starter solenoid in the same compartment.
Opps..:smash: :smash:

GS:
Overcharging can also create enough energy to get the battery to go. Was it on charge when it happened?
There should not be any source of spark in a boat with an outboard. So something had to make it go.

Mr. Sandman
03-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Van
Good thing no-one was near it when
it went.

Nothing like a face full of battery acid to make your day. :sick:

Got Stripers
03-22-2004, 09:49 PM
Yeah it was on a "Dual Pro" onboard charger, which is now in the trash as it's suspect. I say suspect, because I'm pretty good about checking levels, use the boat frequently and leave the compartment open for venting when the on board is plugged in after I stow it after a trip. Not only that only a few months back, I'd cleaned and inspected all the battery connections.

I didn't take a picture, but it looked very much like yours, the top 1/3 of the battery case was missing. I'm just thankful the lid was open, I can only image what might have happened if it were closed.

Van
03-23-2004, 09:23 AM
At least it didn't happen while you were out fishin.

Don't you just love the $$$$$$ of marine batteries ?????

With my 175 ficht they require the real big batteris (I forget the class/No.), but those suckers cost about 100 bucks ea...:af: :af:

I also have one suspected weak battery, I'll be keeping a close eye on that as soon as I uncover.

macojoe
03-23-2004, 11:06 AM
I gave up on marine batterys years ago!! They cost the most and last the least!!
I now run Car batterys. You can buy a good car battery with a 3 or 4 year warr. and they work just fine!
I have 2 Wal-Mart battery that I bought almost 2 years ago and they are just fine! 2 year replacement and I think 5 years total. I brought one back the other day and will do the same with the other next month. Now I have new batterys every 2 years for $0.00

Van
03-23-2004, 12:49 PM
I hear ya MJ, but these new computer controlled engines apparently need huge amps to work properly, (at least thats what they told me when I bought it).

I can't get that kind of battery at Walfart, so I'm stuck with the marine store.:( :(

macojoe
03-23-2004, 12:53 PM
Some times old is better!! but even old someday I will have to buy one of them nice new things :(

beamie
03-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Batteries??

What I do is go to Sears and buy 2 of the biggest Deep Cycles they make. About 85 bucks each. They do fine and will last you 3 or 4 years. With Warrenty too.

I tend to stay away from the "marine" ones.

Beamie