View Full Version : What a way to spend a Sunday !! Grumpage

Van
03-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Woke up around 7 am this morning, before everyone in house. Just about gonna get a pot o' coffee going. Hmmm..... I needs me something to read first. So i head down celllar to me workshop for something.

HEY!!!!! Theres water all over the floor. Hmmmm, it did rain last night, but this seems kinda like a lot of water. SHO,,NUF one of the water heaters let go over night and was peeing for probably 12 hours.

To make matters worse, the water made its way into me workroom and soaked all me stuff !!

So, a trip to Home Cheapo to get a new heater, get it home and start the job. But first me had to wet vac the whole damn cellar, then start the removal and install. Finished with the new install around 3pm. Now I gots to clean out me workroom and throw out all the crap that got soaked. Finished that about 7pm.

Never had me coffee neither !!!!!!!!!!GRUMP...

Had bite to eat bout hour ago, now I'm gonna shower and go to bed. Work tomorrow...

Nice relaxin day !!!!!!!!!!!!!NOT !!!!!!!!

Slingah
03-21-2004, 10:40 PM
that stinks Van....new day tomm....with a new water heater:D

Nebe
03-21-2004, 11:47 PM
van that sucks:mad:

if you had any plugs in your work room that your throwing out, I'll take 'em:p

Van
03-22-2004, 09:23 AM
Yup, my fishing gear got soaked too, but I think its OK if
that stuff gets wet...........Isn't it??

Trash mans gonna love pulling up to my house today !!!!:af: :af:

Moose Nuckle
03-22-2004, 09:37 AM
Hey Van,
With all the water you had down stairs did you grab one of your fishing rods and make some casts? Just for practice.....

Van
03-22-2004, 11:13 AM
Hmmm,,,,
Didn't do that, but found out my waders don't leak..

Moose Nuckle
03-22-2004, 03:47 PM
NICE !!!:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

chris L
03-22-2004, 04:56 PM
van
its better it happened this past weekend as opposed to this upcoming weekend . NO ?

I find my basement is too low ( even for us small stature folks ) to do any real casting . maybe a side arm cast might work . My basement is long enough 65 ft for a good retrieve though .

Van
03-22-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by chris L
its better it happened this past weekend as opposed to this upcoming weekend . NO ? .

YES, I'm gonna be bustin Friday through Sunday.

Hope to see you there, I will probably spend lots of time at the Jrs. Raffle (upstairs) just like last year.

Billybob
03-22-2004, 05:12 PM
I feel your pain.
I think I'm on my 4th hot water heater, lucky someone has been home when they go.
Always worried I'd go away and a washing machine hose or hwh would go and flood the whole cellar.
How's this for a great new product:
Design a valve that will shut off your main water supply if it continues to run for say an hour uninterrupted, and needs to be manually reset if it trips?
Whatdya think?
I've seriously thought about this, I think it would be great.
Of course, I thought "Peckers" would be a great bar for women (like hooters), til someone brought up the gay angle:rolleyes:

Bill

Van
03-22-2004, 05:23 PM
Originally posted by Billybob
How's this for a great new product:
Design a valve that will shut off your main water supply if it continues to run for say an hour uninterrupted, and needs to be manually reset if it trips?
Whatdya think?
I've seriously thought about this, I think it would be great.

Its already been done, talked to my plumber buddy today because someone here at work mentioned it. He is going to bring me the brochure.
He said its like a little float valve (like in our boats) the tank sits in a shallow tub, and if the tub fills up from the relief or from failure, the float trips a solenoid and shuts off the supply. It stays off until its reset and it alarms like a smoke detector.
He also said there is a sensor that detects abnormal water usage and will shut off at the main. This is for a burst pipe situation.
I guess your idea came a bit late, you woulda been a millionaire !!!!!!!!!;) ;)

As for the washing machine I worried too so a while back I picked up the NO-BURST hoses at Home Cheapo. They are metal mesh on the outside, the worst that can happen if the internal rubber goes is they will leak. But will not burst spewing gallons of water out in seconds. Get em' its worth the peace of mind.