View Full Version : seeking advice about cooler/rod rack

C-5 CC
03-24-2004, 02:24 PM
I know this has been discussed at length many times before, so please forgive me. A friend of mine is going to start building me a custom rack next week, and I would very much appreciate any advice and pictures of your rigs.
I know it will be a triple unit, with a 150 qt in the middle and I think (2) 25qt coolers on the side. What do ya think...is 25qt big enough for the soda/beer/bait coolers?? I am not being a smart-a$$, it just seems like a pretty small cooler. I have not yet found a place to buy them(25qt)...any suggestions. I looked at the Walmart and #^&#^&#^&#^&'s, but no luck. I plan on having 10 or 12 rod holders, with 2 of them tilted forward.
Any good suggestions on lighting? How do you secure the coolers to your rack? Anyone use small bungy cords to keep the rods from bouncing around while driving?
This will be my first rack ever, so ANY comments, criticisms, or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Brandon
PS I promise this will be the last time I will bring up this line of questioning:D

scarecrow
03-24-2004, 02:33 PM
your gonna need them brandon for all this fish were gonan be catching this year.:D

C-5 CC
03-24-2004, 02:35 PM
Dam right!!!

DelSamAdams327
03-24-2004, 02:59 PM
That sounds just like the cooler rack I am interested in buying. Besure to post a picture of what that bad boy looks like when its all done.

theSURF121
03-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Take a peek at this company's cooler racks. Maybe it'll give you some ideas.
Cooler rack (govezco.com)

redlite
03-24-2004, 03:30 PM
What's it going on?
The most important things to keep in mind with the front mounted cooler rack is:
1) Make sure it isn't going to block/ impede air flow through your radiator
2) Make sure it doesn't block your head lights

Best design I saw is a couple of guys I fish with down the Cape. They have custom made racks that have a bar that slides across on the top with a pad lock so that no one can get into their coolers or steal them.
Be nice not to have the smelly cooler in the back of the vehicle anymore.

C-5 CC
03-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Dana- The guy is in CT, and will probably be done w/ it by the second week in April. I will definately show ya the finished product, in person, somewhere on the river;)

Vezco is definately a great place to get a rack made, but it's a good distance away from me..and yes thats definately where I got the inspiration for the triple. Also there is this place in NJ, I think it's called Marine FAB, they put out a great looking rack too!! I have been doing my homework, on and off, for the last year, and finally decided to just get it done.

The metal bar going thru the slots is a great idea.

It's going on a 2004 Chevy K2500 Crewcab.... so I am not too concerned about the weight.

Keep the info coming!!! Thanks:D

DelSamAdams327
03-24-2004, 07:27 PM
That sounds good. Is it made out of aluminum? I am not worried about it either, I have a 7'6 western plow for my truck and its only a 1500 Silverado I wouldn't worry at all with a 2500.

C-5 CC
03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
All aluminum, but the 2 main brackets attaching to the truck will be painted steel. I wanted stainless for the brackets, but it was $150 for 1 length of the stock. Too rich for my blood!!
Brandon

Jenn
03-25-2004, 01:19 PM
ratchet strap for the big cooler and bungees for the smaller stuff...never lost anything yet!

C-5 CC
03-26-2004, 04:04 AM
Hey there Jenn-

Only 22 days left...not that I am counting:cool:

Jenn
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
;) ;) :D

bart
03-26-2004, 01:25 PM
anyone know where i can get a rod holder just forr the top of my jeep?

C-5 CC
03-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Bart-
Did you see that new one from Thule? looks pretty cool, but I have heard that you can only put 2 large spinners in there