View Full Version : Lami Ron Arra XRA 1205

Saltheart
06-27-2001, 08:06 AM
I ordered myself a Lami XRA 1205 blank. I just had to give one a try after shaking Slipknot's around at the June tourney. I talked to Mike P and Ron Arra last Sat morning. Mike indicates its just a little softer than a Breakaway 1209. Ron says its the most versatile rod in the XRA series. After feeling Slipknot's (hey that doesn't sound right?) :) I wanted to try it out.
Anyway , I jig the canal with two methods. One I call Kamikaze style and one I call drifting. I think the XRA will give me the little extra distance I want to do the drift technique where I want. The only reservation I have in the back of my mind is that I use a very sweeping cast and catch the damned bushes behind me even with my 9 footer. Oh well , into every life a little rain must fall! :)
Mike T didn't have the blank but I got it elsewhere and got a good price, I figure I can build the rod with all fuji components for about $200. I'll report on how I like it later in the season.

Slipknot
06-27-2001, 08:59 AM
"Versitile" That's why I bought it Saltheart, John and MikeP reccomended it.
As far as it being long and hitting the bushes, well you could use a shorter drop or build a higher pedastal ;)
That must've been a good price on the blank!

In the meantime you can try mine out anytime, it's even spooled with your favorite line and reel. I'll be down Fri night maybe, at the Sag.

JeffH
06-27-2001, 09:11 AM
I think you made a great choice. That rod will also serve you well fishing Charlestown and Quonny. I just finished building the XRA 961? 8' last night, it is one sweet little rod. I will have the opportunity to fish it for the next two weeks in Chatham, Monomoy and the back beaches. If things are slow out there I may also be forced to fish the Ditch.

Saltheart
06-27-2001, 09:24 AM
Slipknot , we'll be at the Ditch Friday night also. You know where.

Jeff H , enjoy your vacation. I'd like to put a night in with you where the fox lives near the end of your two weeks. I'll send you an email.

JeffH
06-27-2001, 09:48 AM
Email me and I will send you my cell phone number. My wife is bringing the laptop so I will be able to keep you up to date on the conditions.

Saltheart
06-27-2001, 10:04 AM
OK Jeff , will do.

JohnR
06-27-2001, 10:49 AM
Good Luck on your vacation Jeff... Catch many fish and make wife very happy....

Saltheart - I really enoy my XRA1205 that I built. The thing is the furthest casting rod I own but the only one that is meant to do that... It will spool a mag elite with 20# test and a three ounce sinker. A 2 ounce come close.... It is also versatile for eels and was once my primary eel stick a couple years ago. You'll be happy with it. I have nothing similar to comnpare it to but I have been pretty happy with it...

Good luck...