View Full Version : Helllllllllllllllllllp!!!!!!!!!!

Bob Thomas
03-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Ok..I've had it. HP SUX!!!!!!! I was about to try a system recovery on my HP Pavilion 8565C due to monsterous problems. As I broke the seal of the discs, I observed one CRACKED Disc 1! Call HP and some non-english and imposisble to understand jerk tells me there is nothing he can do unless I purchase a new warranty for $50 some odd dollars. He gets pushy and I get punchy. In a nutshell, I told him to pound sand!

What can I do now? They don't have a recovery CD and my machine is s#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g pond water!! Can I use a recovery CD from my Laptop (Win XP) to replace my moronic desktop (Win98)? Can I use any Win98 program to restore my computer. Should I just make this f'n thing an overgrown paperweight?

Please help me. I'm about ready to use this thing for target practice with a shotgun!!!!! :af: :af: :smash: :smash: :af: :smash: :smash: :smash: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af: :af:

Raven
03-25-2004, 06:06 PM
re install windows 98 (hopefully the second addition) for now
dont forget to use the win98 bootdisk let it run scandisk then click on install operating system.... as for the desktop
thats highly changeable but an entirely different subject.

Bob Thomas
03-26-2004, 01:15 PM
I was going to try that with the recovery disc but the blasted thing was broken. Looked around for another 98 cd to no avail. Maybe its just time to upgrade to a new computer. This thing is like 7 years old, pent. 3, 20 gb hard drive. I hate computer shopping!

The Dad Fisherman
03-26-2004, 04:22 PM
You can also try and grab a copy of Windows 2000 somewhere and try installing that. Hopefully it will have all of the drivers you need and it should get you going again. I've usually had good luck w/ win2k.

Do you know anyone w/ the same model that would be willing to loan/burn you a copy of the broken disk?

another option is to call hp Customer service and tell them what happened and that you need a copy of the restore and your not going to pay for it. and if you have to explain to them that you realize that your going to need a new PC in the near future and if this is what you can expect from HP when you have a problem you can be pretty sure the next PC you buy WON"T be an HP.

Sometimes the Squeaky wheel get the grease.....Good luck

RockLobsta
03-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Bob-

At this point I would not put any effort into it. Its way past its useful life. You can get an E machine for 3-4 hundred.

My vote---Toss it

Bob Thomas
03-30-2004, 09:07 AM
Well, I attempted to re-install 98 with several problems. Called and spoke with IT person directly and tried several more things. System crashed and burned.

Now typing on a new computer and must say, after all the hemming and hawing, I'm glad I broke down and did it. Nice to see new technology and the computer is FAST!

Thanks for the help, folks. Guess I'm just a cheep turd ;)

Raven
03-30-2004, 09:15 AM
we live in a disposable society....so what did ya do with yer old one? I'm always looking for spare drives,parts ect. Just wondered. Thrifty scotsman.

mikecc
03-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Bob
did you buy a HP/Com or another brand

Bob Thomas
03-30-2004, 09:56 AM
Mike,

Unfortunately, there isn't much else out there and I ended up with an HP. Talked to our IT guy at work about EMachines, Sony and Compaq. He said EMachines are "a trainwreck waiting to happen" (whatever that meant), Sony is too new to trust as of yet and Compaq is HP since the buyout. I mentioned Dell. He said if you get a good Dell, you're all set but if you get a problematic Dell, it's he$$. G8way he said was alright, although he thought they might be going under.

I ended up with an HP A430N. AMD Athalon 3200, 160 GB hard drive, 512 Ram, 17" LCD monitor, Lexmark all in one printer for $1400. A little more than I wanted to spend but I figured I'd better update everything.

Seems pretty nice, although I havn't given it a good workout as of yet.