View Full Version : aftermarket one way bearings for penns??

crashfromamesbury
03-29-2004, 03:29 PM
has anyone tried to find (or found ) aftermarked oneway bearings for the 704z series.. I would be curious to see if they could be had, after checkng the bearings over they look fairly standard.. it would seem to me that there must be a bearing company out there that would make a one way bearing that is identical to the ones that penn uses in their reels.. ones for the 704z fit the 650ss 750ss and several other reels.. i would definitely buy some if i could find them..

does anyone know what the size of these bearings is? i see the part number in penns catalog but (20-704). however, they don't provide any size.. i assume is to prevent people from using aftermarket bearings..

crashfromamesbury
03-29-2004, 11:39 PM
am i grasping at straws or has no one even considered this?

Fishpart
03-30-2004, 08:16 AM
To buy a replacement bearing take the bearing out of the reel. Measure the OD, the ID, and the thickness and start calling around to bearing suppliers. You will probably have little or no trouble finding a direct replacement, but a one-way bearing could be difficult to find. I am sure it would be well worth the search though.........

Fishpart
04-07-2004, 10:20 AM
Crash, Anything???????????

Krispy
04-07-2004, 12:14 PM
The one way bearing wont do any good without modding the 704 internals.

Surfster
04-07-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm in the process of sealing her up for an oil fill now. First I drilled under the case for the grease fitting and then drilled and tapped for a "release" screw on top. Worked great except for the cold fall nights when the grease got heavy/thick. I'm searching for an anti reverse bearing now to help with the sealing effort. Once that lever hole is filled it should be down hill. I'll let you know what I find.
Good luck!