View Full Version : Storms at sea

Fly Rod
03-30-2004, 10:13 AM
How would ya like riding these out in a center console?

www.tv-antenna.com/heavy-seas

The first picture is about where the "Andrea Gail " went down in the movie "The Perfect Storm", in the area of the Flemish Cap, Newfoundland.

The sister ship used in the movie was ingulfed in flames from a welders torch just a few days ago while being converted to a scalloper at the railways.

Homerun04
03-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Holy s-*-&-t......amazing.

Van
03-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Just looking at those pics makes me want to.........
:yak4: :yak4: :yak4: :yak6: :yak6: :yak6: :yak: :yak: :yak:

Bob Senior
03-30-2004, 03:40 PM
Those conditions would sure resolve the arguments over which boats are the smoothest riding--they'd all go down in that stuff!!

beachwalker
03-30-2004, 04:27 PM
sweeeet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first photo. It's just amazing the scale of things there
:eek:

mrmacey
03-30-2004, 05:17 PM
not bragging but 1978 South China sea typhoon weather I was stationed on a diesel Submarine the snorkel pipe was raised to run engines we were on the surface that means the pipe was another 30' up there the waves were still closing the head valve we were on the bridge standing look out life jackets saftey harnessed in it was like a roller coaster up 50 60' then down when you were at the bottom nothing but walls of water the waves would come at you and you would duck inside the sail scarey as hell what that ocean can do.

goosefish
03-31-2004, 04:10 PM
Great shots Fly rod. Force 12 I'd have to say, nasty. Real nasty.
That one with the green water coming in over the rail of that tanker is pretty crazy.
There was one gale offshore when an ocean tug and a barge came steaming by us. The tug had that barge on the longest hawser I've ever seen, a good three hundred yards back if I had to guess. The tug, a big boy, came fairly close to us. We were "jogging" in a 77 foot dragger, and when he passed us he gave us a call on channel 16 and said simply: you guys having fun?
For some reason it made me laugh. We must've looked tiny to him.

Carl
04-02-2004, 04:29 PM
Awsome pictures.

I thought the last picture on the first page the USNS Sealift Mediteranian looked familiar. I sailed on one of the sister ships the USNS Sealift Arabian Sea from June - Dec 1989. I have similar type pictures but nothing that ugly.

Nauti Buoy
04-05-2004, 01:45 PM
My guess is that it was a bit too much for fly fishing. :D

Absolutely incredible!