View Full Version : Who Likes Fishing In Sloppy Weather?

BigFish
03-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Month of May, love to fish those rainy days, throw pencil poppers and score huge! :bounce: Just seems like I have my best days when it is pouring rain out and if it is windy.....even better!:btu:

I wish the fish were here today!:uhuh:

The Dad Fisherman
03-31-2004, 04:16 PM
I have no problem with it. Thats why they invented rain gear.

Besides, rain or shine, your going to get wet anyways.

missing link
03-31-2004, 04:40 PM
I go out with link jr no matter what the weather unless it's blowing to hard . we were out last summer/fall on all those rainy weekends . later link:cool:

Christian
03-31-2004, 04:44 PM
love fishing the rain.

beachwalker
03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
I live in the land of sloppy weather.

Love the fog, tolerate the rain and live for the wind.

Probably why I don't own a boat.....:smash: :smash: :smash:

John E
03-31-2004, 05:27 PM
Bad weather = no googs :D

Raven
03-31-2004, 05:37 PM
and i consider it the best weather to fish in... i fish both salt and sweet water depending on my schedual and when it really comes down in buckets i grab my piece of plastic sheeting and pull it up over my head and peek out to see other people heading home.
i cheer as each car or boat leaves . i have rain gear on of course
but when its pouring thats a good time to eat your sandwhich
until it lets up a bit...without it getting all wet. :p

bart
03-31-2004, 05:45 PM
i like nasty weather too. i get more confident for some reason when its raining and windy. maybe cause the stripes seem to love nasty conditions!!!

fishweewee
03-31-2004, 05:53 PM
Bad weather makes me want to puke on a carpeted basement floor. :yak:

BigFish
03-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Don't expect me to clean it up Fishweewee!:hs: :laugha:

Goose
03-31-2004, 06:01 PM
I luv snot in april n may:btu:

Mr. Sandman
03-31-2004, 06:03 PM
I enjoy and hope for bad weather when I surf cast...I seem to do better when it is rough and there are fewer goons around. Some spots will be weedy depending on the wind direction but I think the bass are not as afraid to come in close when there is a big surge happening.

When I boat fish...I like it nice...(I know I am a wimp but I have taken some real beatings and....it just aint worth it.)

FishermanTim
03-31-2004, 06:05 PM
Whenever I mention that I enjoy fishing in the rain, I get those "Are you insane?" looks. I figure that with raingear, you don't get wet (much), and heck, the fish are ALWAYS wet, so why should I stay home? I do agree, the crowds head for the hills at that first drop of rain, whereas I may just hea back to my car and pull out the rain gear and continue.

bassmaster
03-31-2004, 06:06 PM
I love slop with a nice swell, seems to Make the Holes and Bars and rips come to life on a rainy day .
Olive and Gold got Me some nice fish last spring in May
in one Hole all to My self.
It was awsome to see bass come up for a Hunk Of wood .

fishweewee
03-31-2004, 06:07 PM
But BM don't like slop in a boat.... :hihi:

bassmaster
03-31-2004, 06:18 PM
only with You Capt HiJack:wall: :topic: :devil:

UserRemoved1
03-31-2004, 07:45 PM
Larry best day we had last year was a snotty pourin arse day that when we were leaving the dock we passed probably 40 boats coming in....and we were going out. BEST decision we ever made, got 1/2 mile out and the sun came out, and we had fac water with thousands of stripers rolling on top....and nobody but us to fish em :D

Man I will never forget that day as long as I live.

BigFish
03-31-2004, 07:55 PM
I am a huge fan of the slop. One day last summer my buddy Joey G and I were at the Race and it was raining and the wind was howling. There were a few other guys there, and we were slamming fish. My buddy Joe hauled in a 28 pounder on a mambo minnow. The skies opened up like you read about, hardest rain I have ever seen. We kept fishing while all the other guys ran for cover. I was laughing my arse off having a ball.:rotfl:

Backbeach Jake
03-31-2004, 08:06 PM
It does thin the crowd. A little rain and a little chop and the bass come alive. Pick up the breeze a bit and they can go nutzo! I think they get all jacked on the extra oxygen in the water.

striprman
03-31-2004, 08:09 PM
I like fishing in foggy weather, real thick. Caught some nice ones in real thick fog.

Swimmer
03-31-2004, 08:47 PM
Sloppy from shore ain't like sloopy on the water. When I went fluking with my buddy in his 21 wellcraft at the end of last last May on my first commercial trip everything went fine even though it was extremely crappy going from Padnaram over to Quick's. My buddy was kind enough to let me cast for a striper while he assessed the worth of it as we both looked at 12 to 14 rollers just outside the hole. He chose to start the season a few days later. I said thank you Jesus many times over. We still got slammed going back across.

Surely Bassey
03-31-2004, 08:51 PM
fishin in sloppy weather is like napalm in the morning....

justplugit
03-31-2004, 09:44 PM
My favorite of all year -early November blow 20-25,rain,grey sky,grey water ,5-6ft surf,whitewater out 30 yards.:D Gotta be the part Dane in me.:)

BasicPatrick
03-31-2004, 11:25 PM
LAst year me and me patna, Capt Mike of Ave Maria Fame are fishing on a windy day. We were livelining small Herring for fish ranging from 5 to 15 pounds. I notice the fery black storm cloud cominbg our way and mention it might get real good. Well, the downpour was incredible and my Cabelas Wader Jacket truely
s%&ks. The good news is the fish weighed 32 pounds. Photos are funny and are on the Ave Maria Web site.

This year...I got my Aquaskinz...no more wetness-

Nebe
03-31-2004, 11:39 PM
I fished tonight for holdovers if that means anything :huh:

Notaro
04-01-2004, 01:07 AM
I like to fish in the rain if there is no storm presence or any crappy wind. The foggy and light raining in night is a bad karma for me. The last time I fished off Rockport on a hoecoming weekend. I caught two macks and two schoolies on the herring chunks. One of my rod sank in. I was fishing off the pier. I decided to jump into the water w/o a PFD. I didn't have one with me. I had a fanny pack loaded with sinkers. I almost drowned. The pole was slippery and filled with a marine slime. I got my rod and tried to hang onto the pole, but it was hard. Fortunately I found a rope and I pulled myself up on the rocky wall and got myself on the pier. Man, that was some scary chit. It was so dark and there wasn't anyone out there.

FlyRod, when we fished together, it wasn't a bad day, but kinda slow, right? But we sure had fun. Do you remember the bloofish who chomped the horse mack into half?:D

fishaholic18
04-01-2004, 01:32 AM
I love slop. No rookies out there. My best fishing days were in thick fog, when all others won't venture out, on thier boats anyways. Fog and rain are the best, scary at times but they pay off most of the time. I can't wait.:happy:

Crafty Angler
04-01-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by fishweewee
Bad weather makes me want to puke on a carpeted basement floor. :yak:

Ahhhh, you're just a big girl, WeeWee :bl:

Actually, some of the best nights I've ever had have been right after (emphasis on after) really violent line squalls.

Yup, every time the sky starts to light up and you can smell the ozone in the air, I get real antsy and head for the tackle bunker in full scramble.

Had one fast-moving squall catch me out on the rocks once though when I was already out and a lightening strike temporarily blinded me for a second - I'll tell ya, there ain't a teenager alive in all six states that coulda kept up with me hot-footing it off those rocks. Never done that #%@$## again. :eek5:

I shoulda known better when I was picking up a charge from touching my guides - my buddy Zeke says he won't leave 'til his hair starts to stand up, which is pushing it, don't ya think?

Tagger
04-01-2004, 05:13 AM
1st day of a small craft advisory warning is the best ...second day stay home..water is trashed ,,dirty ,,silty..mess.. I love that first day when it starts ...minga :)

afterhours
04-01-2004, 07:38 AM
rain +wind - wimps = more fish !

ragfly
04-01-2004, 01:30 PM
The people at work think I'm nuts because I am always hoping for bad weather on the weekends. My best days have been on bad weather days. Last year I was fishing one of my favorite spots. It was 8-10ft seas and showery. Cast after cast I landed stripers and the entire time I fished I saw one other guy. I was soaked to the bone but enjoyed very minute of it. :D

bart
04-01-2004, 03:05 PM
i was wading last year out on a sandbar while it was pouring. it wasn't supposed to start thundering and lightning, but it did. that scared the hell outta me, had to walk back to the beach and then back to my car all the while carrying my pole.

blackeye
04-01-2004, 04:46 PM
hell yeah
I'm already dressed for the water from below, what difference is the water coming from above make?
and yes, less googans out there, fish feed better with the dropping barometer, nobody can see you digging in your snotlocker, etc etc
I do draw the line at lightning though

chris L
04-01-2004, 05:17 PM
the fish are already wet and I will dry !

ThrowingTimber
04-01-2004, 05:59 PM
Love it, less ppl around from the surf. In a boat depends on what size and the skill of the capt.

Joey G
04-01-2004, 07:27 PM
I love slop ...............:btu:

Slingah
04-01-2004, 07:51 PM
it's Joey G!!!!!!!
U lIKe fIsHiN Joe????
i dO....I lIkE slOp 2....loVE tHAt cHIT caT

RIJIMMY
04-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I noticed that everytime I come how soaked, I caught more fish. A nice SW wind and 3-5 waves with whitecaps, I'm in! Rain never stops me.

Karl F
04-01-2004, 09:43 PM
sloppy, snotty, windy, foggy, yep

Lightning---->:scatter: I'm outta there