View Full Version : Did you ever "highgrade"?

striprman
04-01-2004, 01:53 PM
I did, but I always kept my fish on a nice long leader, out in the current, so it could be released basicly unharmed. All the fish I ever released while "highgrading", swam away with smiles on their faces. I never had a highgraded fish go belly up on me.

FishermanTim
04-01-2004, 01:56 PM
Nope, never did, never had to.
I figure that if I'm fishing for a trophy, why kep a smaller fish, and if I'm fishing for food, the first legal size fishes will be enough.

Goose
04-01-2004, 01:57 PM
Just because they swam away doesn't always mean they lived.

striprman
04-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Goose
Just because they swam away doesn't always mean they lived.

They lived. If I had any doubt about the survival of any "keeper" sized fish I intended to let go, I wouldn't put it on a stringer, I'd either keep it and call it a day, or revive it and let it go.

RIROCKHOUND
04-01-2004, 02:09 PM
Goose is right...
Every fish species had a release mortality, even if they seem unharmed.. putting a rope I assume through their gills on a stringer is definetly not a good way to keep them unharmed... thats like me sticking a rope from your mouth through your nose and letting you try to breath...
Eat what you keep, release the rest... if you get one bigger, take a picture... but you'll never find me with more than one fish on ice, never two, cause you never know when your last cast results in a monster; and what are you gonna do with the third one...

blackeye
04-01-2004, 02:10 PM
nope. and I've released plenty of 40" "first fish of the nite" only to catch shorts or be skunked for the rest of the nite. I love to gamble:D

Mike P
04-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Yeah---it's so harmless to fish that it's been outlawed :rollem:

JPowers
04-01-2004, 02:22 PM
striprman,

If you put that stringer in the fish's mouth, across the gills and out through the gill plate, that fish is gonna be in bad shape by the time you release it.

If you're gonna do it :hs: , the fish is better off if you shove the stringer through/around its jaw.

BigFish
04-01-2004, 02:22 PM
Striprman, do these fish you "release" send you a postcard to let you know all is well?:smash: Come on man, play by the rules.:rude:

missing link
04-01-2004, 02:41 PM
I thought it was illegal to do that. I usually keep one fish the rest are placed back gently I can't belive you made a post like this, the fish that you release must be so stressed they probally only last a short while after LINK:confused: :af:
I probally should keep my mouth shut, BUT?

BigFish
04-01-2004, 02:46 PM
Highgrading "IS" illegal. There is one in every crowd ML. People should be better educated before they hit the water.:read:

striprman
04-01-2004, 02:56 PM
I don't highgrade anymore. I did when it was legal.
I'm happy just to catch one, of any size and I let most go.
I like fishing for fun.

beachwalker
04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
kind of like posting for fun ?

MAC
04-01-2004, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by beachwalker
kind of like posting for fun ? :laughs: :laughs:

striprman
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM

Whats wrong with fun?

Did you ever highgrade when it was legal?

Bigcat
04-01-2004, 03:25 PM
I thought it was more like trolling:p

striprman
04-01-2004, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Bigcat
I thought it was more like trolling:p

I've caught some big fish trolling.

beachwalker
04-01-2004, 03:34 PM
maybe be fun for you but there are others that have to read through this drivel.........

never have highgraded. If anything I lowgrade. I keep a 30" ish and let the rest go. It isn't a trophy hunt for me. It is the enjoyment of being there.

That's my fun :)

JPowers
04-01-2004, 03:41 PM
Nope. Never did.

BigFish
04-01-2004, 03:48 PM
Anyone know when the last time "highgrading" was legal?:confused: I am guessing it was before the moratorium took affect in the 80's. At that time, I don't think you would have had to "highgrade" because I may be wrong, but at that time you could keep all you could catch! Does anyone know?

RIROCKHOUND
04-01-2004, 04:04 PM
I think striperman likes to instigate us to reply...
and no, even when legal I never high-graded...
Illegal and immoral are different.. it's legal to take two fish a day, but if you dont eat or give away to eat both of them, then thats immoral...

STEVE IN MASS
04-01-2004, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm.....this is a bit ironic.......:rolleyes: I smell something fishy....;)

And BTW, hi-grading was made illegal in Mass at the start of the 2002 season....

BigFish
04-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Steve, I can pretty much guarantee "highgrading" was illegal a long time before 2002. I am currently looking into it.

OX
04-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by striprman
I don't highgrade anymore. I did when it was legal.
I'm happy just to catch one, of any size and I let most go.
I like fishing for fun.

Since the moratorium. It's never been legal!!!!!!!!!!!:smash:

BigBo
04-01-2004, 05:27 PM
Would "highgrading" my wife be acceptable?:laughs: Now that, I'd like!:hidin: :rotf2:

striprman, I'm amazed you would even start a thread like this.:doh: Are you just trying to push buttons?

fishsmith
04-01-2004, 05:39 PM
Bigbo,
Take my old lady and call me back, I'm ready to swap her for some 2 speed reels...

striprman ... Do you fish??? if so, where do you fish, how do fish, what do you fish for and how??? ... open up pal, you've gotten alot of info from this board, but not much from you but questions .... After your 40yrs of fishing, how about some -
Here's how I fish posts .... you've gotten your fair share of knowledge, now it's time to pass some of yours on. BUT DON'T LIST SPOTS.. if you've got any.

Thanks

Fly Rod
04-01-2004, 05:41 PM
:) 1st: high grading became illegal about 2000-2001. It was completely legal before then.
The main reason that it became illegal was in tournaments people would hold onto big fish hopeing to get a larger one and if not they would weigh that fish in.

2nd: Those of us that fish from "rocky" shore lines, first ya hook the fish, then ya play it till it is stressed, trying to find a place to land the striper amongest the rocks, while the surf is banging the crap out of it against the rocks and once you drag it or gaff it,[ya I know you gaffed it under the lip] up over the rocks and it turned out not to be a keeper, you thru it back but didn't see it float so it must of lived .:fishslap: :yak6: :yak6: That's worst then up grading. I should get my hidden camera out and fellow a few "pre Ma Donnas' " around.

3rd: I use to up grade. Was completely legal then. Now it is not.
And now I don't do it!!!!:cheers: :cheers:
And only once did I have a problem when up grading. My leader was just a little to long and the prop put a good gash in that 44" fish. It was still salvageable and I fillet it for a person.
And I don't eat them !!! they are full of "P C Bs" :yak5:

Goose
04-01-2004, 05:48 PM
Don't think I've even used that term.

Last year I kept a good size fish in a deep pool water for about 1/2 hr. Orginally I had intentions of keeping it but as time passed I decided to let it go. Because the tide had just receided and it was early in the spring the water was cold and the fish had plenty of life still in him. Mind you this was not rain water or dead water.

out in the current
Strprman, how do you keep a fish "out in the current"? some places you can't keep yout bait out in the current.

striprman
04-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Just get a really long piece of crab line.

Looks like everyone believes highgrading is a bad idea.
I didn't think about it much before it became illegal, except when I was fishing in a crowd and someone had a dead one on a stringer and would release it if they got a bigger one.
I always obey the law when it comes to fishing.
I usually only get 1 fish when I go anyway (but it's usually a pretty good one).

STEVE IN MASS
04-01-2004, 06:03 PM
Okay, it was 2001, not 2002.....see the last paragraph:

Massachusetts Regulation changes for 2001
The Massachusetts Marine Fisheries Commission meeting took action on a number of issues at their December 7, 2000 meeting. These actions will become effective on December 21.

(1) Striped bass changes for 2001.

(A) Elimination of the requirement that all authorized striped bass dealers affix tags to each striped bass at first purchase. DMF evaluated the dealer tagging program after one year and determined that the administrative burden on the agency to implement a comprehensive dealer tag program does not outweigh enforcement and compliance benefits. DMF will continue to provide assistance to Massachusetts dealers that intend to ship bass out-of-state. Also, we will continue to require that bass shipped to Massachusetts during the December-March period be tagged to indicate point of origin.

(B) Minimum size lowered for recreational fishermen from 30 inches to 28 inches. DMF recommended this change given that there are limited conservation benefits associated with maintaining a 30-inch minimum, updated assessment data indicate fishery performance is within FMP guidelines and there is favorable support from some large Massachusetts sporting organizations. This size limit is expected to remain in place for two years (through 2002), or until Amendment 6 to the striped Bass FMP is completed.

(C) Final regulations prohibiting striped bass "high-grading" approved in September were filed. "High-grading" where smaller legal-sized fish previously captured and retained are then discarded in favor of another larger legal-sized fish. Recreational fishermen may not retain a legal-sized striped bass and release said fish in favor of another larger legal-sized striped bass captured subsequently. Any legal-sized fish not immediately released into the water and held by stringer, live-well or another means shall be considered intent to high-grade.

redlite
04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
High grading is something I never even considered doing, even when fishing tournies, even when it was legal.

I know that last year the Squirrel Cops got a couple of guys down at the canal for having fish on stringers, and I know of someone down the cape that got nailed for having one in his live well on the boat. Also got guys out on race Point for having fillets in their coolers. I believe the fines were $100 beans for the high grading and $50 beans a pop per a fillet.

It was weird to hear people talk about it because it seemed that a lot of the same people that gripe about such activities going on illegally, were griping even more about the fact that it was actually enforced....for once.

Fly Rod
04-01-2004, 06:38 PM
:) People who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones!!!!!:D

People who go to state striped bass meetings to: listen; speak and learn will fair much better then a person with a chip on their shoulder:D :D

Crow
04-01-2004, 06:52 PM
How much fish do you need to keep? Do you gain so much more when you higrade from a 28" fish to 34" fish? We must break ourselves of the 'trophy' mentality, we should only be keeping the small ones and letting all the breeders go. In another post we celebrate the beauty of the bass here we discuss it as so much meat. Poachers steal from us all. Tony

JohnR
04-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Striperman was talking in past tense in case ya didn't notice. And some people praticed it as it was legal. Yes, Highgrading was leagal until recently, but running a rope thru the gills is simply not good for a fish. And yes, there is a release mortality. Fish die, even when released properly.

Flap, I have no more or less problems releasing a fish from the rocks then I do on the sand. Just fishing from rocks is more fun :D

RickBomba
04-01-2004, 10:07 PM
If I plan on keeping a keeper, I keep it...on ice and that's it...Haven't had the chance of getting more than one sice the rules changed, but I still think if I'm going to keep one, I'll just decide and that's it. All the rest will be throwbacks.
Just my $.02.
Later,
Rick

deputydog
04-01-2004, 11:55 PM
striprmqn

was you ever stung by a dead bee?

Notaro
04-02-2004, 12:38 AM
No need to highgrade it. I never highgrade any fish I intend to keep. Normally one bass is enough. I highgraded largemouth asses before. Anyway, I saw a guy who fished on qounny point when I was out with Scoobe. He didn't highgrade it. He killed the fish and left it on the rock and kept fishing with big danny plugs.

Skitterpop
04-02-2004, 01:27 AM
If Striprman drives you guys so crazy with all the question posts why so many replies?

Swede
04-02-2004, 02:25 AM
Be nice to the people you meet on your way up for you might meet them on your way down...

Not just for the elitist snobs which abound but for myself and everyone.

bloocrab
04-02-2004, 02:30 AM
I tried that "High-Grade" stuff once.....it was good, but DAMN expensive......that's grown underwater right???...

:happy: ...am I in the right thread?....

Skitterpop
04-02-2004, 06:15 AM
Good one....pass it over here man.

JohnR
04-02-2004, 06:51 AM
another guy with too many turns on the peace pipe :wall: :smokin: :eyes:

likwid
04-02-2004, 03:30 PM
Go ahead and highgrade, just be aware that some of us know DMF people personally and have their cell #'s on speed dial.

Especially for this upcoming season.

chris L
04-02-2004, 03:38 PM
if its high grade pass that pipe this way !

what is highgrading ? where can you find them ?

too expensive ? you get what you pay for . No stems or seeds that we dont need ! ppppppppppsssssssssttttttttttttttt is some bad ass weed !

never have caught a keeper .

Nebe
04-02-2004, 05:13 PM
Chris thats 'Hydro' brotha...:smokin:

the only time you'll catch me upsizing is at McDonalds:D

bart
04-02-2004, 07:53 PM
sampson gets me lifted

KLMulder
04-02-2004, 10:35 PM
sorry to be the one to tell you this Eben but some folk and their law suits have raised such a stink about being over weight and it being everyons fault but their own McD's has decieded to get rid of the SUPER SIZE to the detriment of all the skiny arse folks like me. On an up note, I have come up with a plan, I will only be eating food from GNC and other stores like them for the next 6 months and then file a law suit because I am to thin.:laughs: That should be good for at least 20 mil and then I can just fish all day every day:happy: :happy:

Notaro
04-03-2004, 12:29 AM
That's why Atkins was born. Or Dr. Phil as you previously mentioned in other threads, Eben. I don't upsize my meal at McDonalds anymore. It was one of the factor I put on arteries and weight. So I order any burger w/ McNuggets and mozz sticks.