View Full Version : Amount of backing needed

schoolie monster
04-12-2001, 01:47 PM
I recently purchased an 8 weight mostly for fishing schoolies and probably albies... do I really need to go any higher than 100 yards on my backing.

As long as it fills the reel sufficiently...

I've had a couple people tell me to go with 200, but that seems a bit much, (plus I have a 100 yard spool).

Any thoughts... thanks.

Vision
04-12-2001, 08:28 PM
Hi schoolie monster a buddy of mine hooked into a false albacore last year and it took all his backing and broke off! He lost all his Fly line and at 40 to 50 bucks a pop I'd rather would like to have the piece of mind that the extra backing could get the fish in without that happening. Oh by the way he was using an 8 wgt!

Patrick
04-12-2001, 10:37 PM
I believe I saw on the Powerpro website that they recommend using their line as backing. That means you can use 6lb diameter line and have 30lb test backing. You could possibly have 300 to 400 yards of backing. Some guys don't believe it's the amount of line you lose, it's the inability to gain that line back at the same speed. That's why a lot of them use large arbor spools. Some fish can make multiple, long, powerful runs. Before you can start to gain the 50 or 100 yards the fish just took, the fish is already taking another 50 or 100 yards.

schoolie monster
04-13-2001, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the insight.

I suppose my other option is to get several spools which I'll gear to the conditions and targeted species.

I should do that anyway.

saltydog
04-13-2001, 07:16 PM
schooliemonster,you answered your owen question,(as long as the reel is filled) depends on the reel! which reel anthe rel makers recomend! always fill your reel.
you will neve know WHEN your goingto need it, an it will help balance your rod an reel out! "GOOD LYUCK GOOD FISHIN"