View Full Version : paint question

Nebe
04-03-2004, 12:44 AM
guys, a friend of mine is re-habing some beat up rods and wants to paint the blanks... Is there a special flexible rod building paint out there, or will any paint do the trick??

thanks
eben

PNG
04-03-2004, 08:34 AM
Eben you bring up an age old battle, painting blanks.

In a word what I have found is to "keep it simple s....."

Bigest prob is the fiberglass blank leaching "oils" that will fisheye the finish big time.

Litely sand the blank

In one direction without stopping and never using the same spot on the towel wipe it with acetone. Dont breath or touch it the acetone.

Go to wallyworld and get the small auto touchup color of your liking and same system clear coat.

Spray light dry coats of paint followed by clear. Done. Not as good as factory but without spending $$$$ its the best you can do.

U-40 makes a brushable clear finish but not easy to use with paints.

"No laquer over enamel ~ Yes enamel over laquer"

Good luck

Chris

Nebe
04-04-2004, 11:21 AM
thanks chris... I'll print this and pass it on to him-

Bawana
04-05-2004, 01:27 PM
shhhhhhhhhhhhh a secret !!!!litely sand blank and wipe off----go down to your local hobby store and buy the water base acrylic paint that comes in tube.apply with sponge brush.coat whole blank with flexcoat.will look great.I saw a bunch done like this and was amazed.

Fishaddict
04-05-2004, 02:13 PM
You mean I could have a neon green Ditch Stick???:drool: :drool:

PNG
04-05-2004, 02:19 PM
There are a whole bunch of different methods to blank painting. I took the one I thought the easiest, lightest and most durable.

Bob you could not only have neon but there is Glow in the dark paint...:eek:

Bawana
04-05-2004, 02:22 PM
I dunno I guess if its a color that is available you could.The ones I saw were solid white blanks that had been turned into black and brown.I actually had to be told the color was changed they looked real good after they were coated.

Nebe
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
:D thanks!~

striperjerk1
08-19-2004, 07:10 AM
hey guys, will this change the action of the rod after flexcoating it?

bud8fan
08-20-2004, 01:08 AM
I re-did a white(he wanted it black to match his other gear) Penn Slammer for Mike(fishingfreak) a short time ago and I took the advise of Capesam's.................
First I sanded the blank, then wiped down with Denatured Alcohol. I then sprayed the blank with Krylon Hi Temp gas grill paint in flat black. I put on numerous coats(to get it as flat as possible(fill in shallow knicks)) and wet sanded in between. Once I got the result I wanted I brushed on clear gloss acrylic urethane and did the same wet sanding to that.
Zip Guard sells spray acrylic urethane but I was having problems locating the stuff without having to buy a full case of 12 cans so I opted for the brush on from MinWax. Only time will tell how it holds up?
I would imagine you could do the same with other(colors) Krylon paints.

Both myself and the Mike were happy with the results using this method.

Russ

afterhours
08-20-2004, 04:40 PM
i cast a friends rod that was entirely flex coated and it seemed to dampen the action, not to mention add weight to the rod.

striperjerk1
08-20-2004, 06:27 PM
Thanks Russ,aferhours.:)

Grand Wave
08-27-2004, 08:25 PM
Permagloss is probably the most durable rod finish...plus adds very little weight to the rod.