View Full Version : Herring poll

cheferson
04-03-2004, 10:32 PM
DO you guys get your herring pre-spawn, post spawn or dont care? Anyone here work at a printer that could print up some sighns for the herring runs, explaining the reasons why its better to get post spawn fish, and maybe some other info.

bassmaster
04-03-2004, 10:39 PM
die!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheferson
04-03-2004, 10:42 PM
Drop dead!!!!!!!!

bassmaster
04-03-2004, 10:50 PM
B4 U piss and moan, its a joke
http://striped-bass.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=11044
herring make Me nuts

JohnR
04-03-2004, 11:09 PM
Only try to take post spawn. There is a little gray area but intentially just drop outs

Nebe
04-03-2004, 11:10 PM
is this one?

cheferson
04-03-2004, 11:10 PM
BM not pissng and moaning, just didnt get it, was playin. Still dont get it though.

Nebe
04-03-2004, 11:16 PM
chef watch....it drives him wild.

bassmaster
04-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Eben,
Your making Me mental with them Things:smash: :smash:
May You go to a herring run and Your net has a hole in it
then when You come back there all gone.:smash:

cheferson
04-04-2004, 11:13 AM
What do you guys think about posting some sighns around the runs educating people of the benefits of waiting to take the post spawn fish? Any suggestions on what would be good info to put on the sighns, dates when most of the herring are returning, how to tell if theyre going back down stream??

JohnR
04-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Unfortunatelt, DEM might consider it littering if you post "unofficial" signs at the runs. Maybe get the signs into tackle shops instead? With some kind of buy-in from the tackle owners?

cheferson
04-04-2004, 11:48 AM
True john , ill contact the dem first about the sighns, im sure theyd be all for it. What kind of info do you guys think would be good on there. Something about how collecting them post spawn will help increase their numbers down the road, tips on dates and how to tell when most are returning down stream. Can you guys think of anything else?

cheferson
04-04-2004, 12:03 PM
??????????

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:03 PM
I care about CATCHING BASS....sorry, "pre-spawn, post spawn" don't measure up to much IMO. I fully understand that netting post spawn herring is better for the herring pop., but I'll grab them NO MATTER which direction they're heading. One should worry more about the "picklers and cat-food" companies instead of the average fisherman out to have a fun night of fishing. I just can't se myself being so much of a conservationist that I'm not able to enjoy what I do. I know one saved herring can produce 100's...but compare those 12-15 herring that I'm going to take to the 10s of thousands that get vacuumed???....APPLES & ORANGES imo.

Scenario: I'm at a herring run, I stand there for 3 hours only to watch herring swim up into the run...I do not see any coming out. While standing there, I'm picturing those big ships...funnelling in ALL those post,pre...however they can get them, HERRING. ...Like I said, I'll take them any which way you can. :)

redcrbbr
04-04-2004, 12:13 PM
there are signs at a few runs in RI already.

like bloo has said, " ., but I'll grab them NO MATTER which direction they're heading. One should worry more about the "picklers and cat-food" companies" Most places have days when you can't harvest believe it is sunday, tuesdays and thursdays in most places. The way i see it i'm helping out by grabbing the ones that can't read

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:16 PM
If the bass are hitting, and I'm at the run to get my herring alotment, which I paid for, and the herring are not dropping back, but are running upstream, I will net the pre spawn in order to get bait. If the run is slow and all I can capture is dropbacks, then I will get them instead. It all depends on whats happenning at the run when I'm standing there, net in hand, anticipating that I'll even be able to net a few to begin with.

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:18 PM
Striprman...

Is there a preferred way to net herring?....and if so...what is it?

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:19 PM
How do you get them into the net?

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:20 PM
Striprman...

How do you get them out of the net without losing any scales?

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:22 PM
Striprman.....Can you use chum to lure them into the net?

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by bloocrab
Striprman...

Is there a preferred way to net herring?....and if so...what is it?

I prefer to net them when they are at the herring run, thick, so that 1 scoop will fill the net. I don't like waiting 4 hours to get a half dozen drop backs with 20 other guys flailing the water, trying to do the same .

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:32 PM
I prefer to net them when they are at the herring run, thick, so that 1 scoop will fill the net

"Thick"....but doesn't that only happen during Pre-Spawn?...and doesn't that knock alot of the scales off the herring ("fill the net")? Will the Bass still chase the herring if they have no scales on them? I thought that was the reason the Bass liked herring, because of all the scales? I'm confused now.

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:38 PM
How do you get them into the net?

I usually use a scooping motion, but sometimes, if they are dropbacks, I let them swim into the net themselves. The net must be in the water, open hoop facing in the direction of the fish.

If the fish are swimming "upstream", sometimes I scoop them using a "frontal" attack, somtimes I use a "rear" attack.

If the fish are "dropping back", I usually let them swim into the net without causing to much commotion, so they wont be scared and swim upstream again.

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:40 PM
Can you please describe a "rear attack"? In full detail.....

I've heard of this approach being used in the Provincetown runs, but never really understood it.

Thanx

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Striprman...

How do you get them out of the net without losing any scales?

If the herring remain wet, and don't become entangled in the mesh of the net (I prefer using a net that has a mesh that is smaller than the herrings head so the fish don't get stuck in the
mesh of the net)then scale loss can be kept to a minimum.

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:43 PM
Striprman.....Can you use chum to lure them into the net?

Chum is not necessary. I might use them as chum (by cutting them into small pieces) when trying to capture a striper using a rod and reel technique.

redcrbbr
04-04-2004, 12:49 PM
i never thought about using a net to catch them...I bet you stay alot dryer that way.

What kind of net do you use? a baseball net?

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 12:53 PM
If the herring remain wet

Redcrbbr mentioned staying dryer,,,,should I dry off the herring after I net them?? Does this work better? Does it help the scales stay on longer? I find that when I use my hair-net from Burger King, and catch them one at a time...I don't lose any scales....it's just tuff to catch them that way and everyone laughs at me...:confused:

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:54 PM
"Thick"....but doesn't that only happen during Pre-Spawn?...and doesn't that knock alot of the scales off the herring ("fill the net")? Will the Bass still chase the herring if they have no scales on them? I thought that was the reason the Bass liked herring, because of all the scales? I'm confused now.

I have found, through field testing, that a striped bass (or bluefish) will strike both dead and live herring, as well as "chunks" of dead herring with scales both intact, partially intact, or dislodged. If the herring has scales intact, and is live (or dead), or if the "chunk" has scales intact, or dislodged, a striped bass (or bluefish) may or may not strike the presented bait. If the presented bait has scales intact, in may enhance the fish to strike due to its instinctive "strike" reflex. I will have to study this more.
I have caught some stripers in the 40 inch range with herring having sections of the body showing dislodged scales.

striprman
04-04-2004, 12:57 PM

I've heard of this approach being used in the Provincetown runs, but never really understood it.

Thanx
I have never netted herring in Provincetown.
Maybe you should go to Provincetown and make an observation.
Please report back your findings.

redcrbbr
04-04-2004, 12:59 PM
ok so lets say i do manage to net one and i knock off some of the scales. should i pick them up and put them back on? is there some place where i can buy replacement scales? if more than 2 scales are missing should i let it go so it can grow some more?

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by redcrbbr
i never thought about using a net to catch them...I bet you stay alot dryer that way.

What kind of net do you use? a baseball net?

A herring dip net

RickBomba
04-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Oh, the deadly rear attack.
Hey Bloo, if you promise to get me some emplyoyee discounts on some flame broiled burgers, maybe I canm help you out with a flamin rear attack.
Good news is we don't have to go all the way to provincetown.
Dude, hook line and sinker.
LOL
Rick
PS- you don't need to bring a hairnet for me, I'm bald and have plenty of chum.
Rick

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 01:04 PM
Ok,,,,, will do.

I'm heading up that way in a few minutes, hopefully...I'll get to see them in action and report my findings.

red, he's done some "field testing".....the scales only matter sometimes...and don't try putting them back on either, I tried that...but more fell off :smash: ...one day I dropped a few herring in the street..and a LOT of scales fell off.....I was so sad that day.

redcrbbr
04-04-2004, 01:05 PM
you mean the actually sell nets made for netting herring..where have i been..what do they look like? where can i buy one? are they expensive? do they come with some kind of instructions?

leptar
04-04-2004, 01:05 PM

Thanx

LMAO

You have too many images in your post, please remove some.

RickBomba
04-04-2004, 01:06 PM
Oh red,
If you want to use the baseball net, I've got an extra for you to borrow.
Dude, it's gonna be so much easier than the scuba diving we used to do for them buggers...Especially up here in the Charles River. Gets a little icky down there, corpses and all.
Later,
Rick

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:07 PM
Redcrbbr mentioned staying dryer,,,,should I dry off the herring after I net them?? Does this work better? Does it help the scales stay on longer? I find that when I use my hair-net from Burger King, and catch them one at a time...I don't lose any scales....it's just tuff to catch them that way and everyone laughs at me...:confused:

It is my personal observation that fish prefer to stay wet, swimming in water.

You can dry off the herring. I do not believe it works "better" than keeping them wet.

If you are happy with your netting technique, and it works for you, then I'm happy for you. I prefer to have the herring agent do all the work. The herring agent is a highly trained professional, and may keep "scale loss" to a minimum on the herring that is provided.

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 01:10 PM
Ricky......just mention S-B at the drive thru window....and I'll give all the 7 minute burgers. I work at the one with the big Burger King sign....brick faced building with windows on 3 sides.

If anyone needs hair-nets, let me know. They can be used in some interesting situations, not rated for PG sites though.

...please, let's get back on topic.

Striprman,...when you put a chunk of herring on the hook with the live herring..doesn't it wear him down, the weight of the chunk that is? ...and how do you fit both on the same hook, or do you use a trebble hook and utilize all 3 hooks?

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 01:13 PM
you guys are f-ing funny!:laughs:
i just woke up the baby laughing so hard!

i don't care either way, coming or going.
how do i tell if there done w/ there buisness or not?
i try to milk em' before they go for the car ride:laughs:

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 01:14 PM
I prefer to have the herring agent do all the work.

You have an agent that nets all your herring for you? Are you a performer of sorts, having an agent and all....Does that allow you to net double the herring? Do you need 2 permits, or does your agent have special privelages because he's not going to use them? I've always thought about bringing some of my friends just to hang out so I could try to catch more herring. Is this against the law?

redcrbbr
04-04-2004, 01:17 PM
they actually have herring agents??? where have i been??what do they look like? where can i buy one? are they expensive? do they come with some kind of instructions?

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:20 PM
you mean the actually sell nets made for netting herring..where have i been..what do they look like? where can i buy one? are they expensive? do they come with some kind of instructions?
Yes, they do exist, I got mine at Walmart. I've seen them being sold at other places that sell fishing gear.

You should post a new topic "Where can I get a herring dip net in the (name of your location) area ?"

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 01:24 PM
how do i tell if there done w/ there buisness or not?

I think the faster swimming ones have NOT done their business yet, that's why they're swimming so fast...to get up in there. While the slower swimming ones, having lost their MOJO.....are a little lazy in their swimming pattern. Do all herring spawn? Are they ambi-sexi-dextrous?

bloocrab
04-04-2004, 01:28 PM
...also, how do I keep my herring hard? Should I stroke them to get the blood flowing through their muscles? Sometimes my herring fall off while I cast them, I think these are the ones that have lost their MOJO, they seem very limp. Could I rejuvenate them if I stroked them?...to make them hard again? How do you keep your herring hard Striprman, do you have your agent stroke them?....or do you use some other technique learned through your field testing?

Thank you kindly-
Bloo

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 01:30 PM
i thought when there done with there buisness, they take a nap?

JohnR
04-04-2004, 01:33 PM
They light a smoke :laughs:

Keep it on the clean side gents - can see this doing a death spiral (if I could see thru the tears of laughing my ass off)

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:33 PM
Ricky......just mention S-B at the drive thru window....and I'll give all the 7 minute burgers. I work at the one with the big Burger King sign....brick faced building with windows on 3 sides.

If anyone needs hair-nets, let me know. They can be used in some interesting situations, not rated for PG sites though.

...please, let's get back on topic.

Striprman,...when you put a chunk of herring on the hook with the live herring..doesn't it wear him down, the weight of the chunk that is? ...and how do you fit both on the same hook, or do you use a trebble hook and utilize all 3 hooks?

You are confused. The proper technique is to empale the subject bait individually. The technique I use is to impale either a whole herring (live or dead) on to the hook, or a "chunk" of herring individually. I have not tried the "combination" technique. It might work, but I believe it would "overload" the hook capacity and defeat the hook design, in the end, causing "mis-strikes" and loss of a "solid" hookup. I believe you are correct when you state that placing a "chunk" on the same hook might "wear him down". I have never seen that technique employed, possibly due to what you have observed, that the live herring bait would get "worn out".
On the other hand, impaling "chunks" on a treble hook (1 chunk impaled on each of the 3 "spears") may bring a strike, but I do not believe that it would be more effective than a single chunk impaled on 1 or 2 "spears" of the treble hook, and in fact may deplete your bait sooner than if individual "chunks" are used.

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:37 PM
ok so lets say i do manage to net one and i knock off some of the scales. should i pick them up and put them back on? is there some place where i can buy replacement scales? if more than 2 scales are missing should i let it go so it can grow some more?
\
I would save all the dislodged scales and use them in conjunction with any "chum" you might happen to use during the course of your fish hunting event. If the scales become contaminated with
dirt particles, do not use them.

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 01:40 PM
what about the scales that get stuck all over the steering wheel of the wifes car?
use em' or toss em'?

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:48 PM
You have an agent that nets all your herring for you? Are you a performer of sorts, having an agent and all....Does that allow you to net double the herring? Do you need 2 permits, or does your agent have special privelages because he's not going to use them? I've always thought about bringing some of my friends just to hang out so I could try to catch more herring. Is this against the law?

Question 1) Not all of my herring. Various herring "runs" provide a "herring catching service" when proper permits are presented to the "agent" who will do the "catching" for you.

Question 2) No, it does not allow you to "double net" herring.

Question 3) You only need 1 permit for each "run" that may be visited during "catching days" over the course of a "season". You need an individual permit for each run that may be visited.

Question 4) You may bring your friends, but if they do not posess their own individual permits, and cannot obtain herring of their own accord, then yes, I do believe that if you captured "extra" herring for them, you would be "breaking the law".

striprman
04-04-2004, 01:53 PM
they actually have herring agents??? where have i been??what do they look like? where can i buy one? are they expensive? do they come with some kind of instructions?

Question 1) yes
Question 2) I don't know
Question 3) Usually weather beaten older men
Question 4) I'm not sure they are for sale
Question 5) They may be
Question 6) I think that if you bought one, they would be "self instructing".

striprman
04-04-2004, 02:08 PM
...also, how do I keep my herring hard? Should I stroke them to get the blood flowing through their muscles? Sometimes my herring fall off while I cast them, I think these are the ones that have lost their MOJO, they seem very limp. Could I rejuvenate them if I stroked them?...to make them hard again? How do you keep your herring hard Striprman, do you have your agent stroke them?....or do you use some other technique learned through your field testing?

Thank you kindly-
Bloo

Mr. Crab.

Sorry to say, if your herring is "hard", it is probably dead, and may have been dead for a long period of time. A "hard" herring, shows signs of "rigor mortise". Any "stroking" would remove most scales and may make the herring less attractive to any fish you intend to hunt. If you have a "limp" herring, promptly remove it from the hook, place it in the live bait well and hope that it revives. You might be able to "rejuvinate your "limp herring" in the same manner you might rejuvinate a "played out" striper (allow water to flow through gills using a back and forth motion). Again "stroking your herring" may cause additional trauma. I keep my herring hard by putting them on ice after they have expired (keeps them "fresh" also). I do not believe an "agent" would "stroke" a herring, Maybe, I never asked.

striprman
04-04-2004, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by thefishingfreak
what about the scales that get stuck all over the steering wheel of the wifes car?
use em' or toss em'?

You must leave them in place, they are never to be removed.

BlitzinBlues
04-04-2004, 04:39 PM
STOP,, PLEASE IM GETTING SICK OF READING ALL YOUR POSTS:yak6: :yak6: