View Full Version : Flashtail Whistler

'ol pajamas
04-04-2004, 12:19 AM
A fly tyer on the west coast sent me a string of bead chains that are 1/3" for tying Dan Blanton's Flash tail Whistler. These bead chains are enormous. I plan to use this fly with a lead core shooting head from a boat. I chose colors to give it a spring herring look.

http://www.panix.com/~pg/flyfishing/flwhstlr.jpg

saltydog
04-04-2004, 10:30 AM
OL PAJAMAS, havent see whistlers around in a while, about 15 years ago a fellow I know on the cape use to tie them an sell'em, he taught me, I believe T.U. is having a dinner for him this month, MR. Al Brewster. nice looking, do you know (WHY) they called them WHISTLERS ???????????
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:D
P.S. I have a couple of his around here, Ill find them a post'em

'ol pajamas
04-04-2004, 10:58 AM
The holes in the beads whistle when the air enters them during casting.

saltydog
04-04-2004, 03:45 PM
OL PAJAMAS, VERY GOOD:kewl:
nice to see knowledgeable fly tier
GOOD LUCK GOOD TYIN:D

steelhead
04-07-2004, 06:11 PM
It's a great fly. I used it in it's original pattern dressing last year quite a bit. Some nights, it knocked 'em dead. Sure is nice bass are non-dsicriminatory. Left coast, right coast. A good fly just plain works.

'ol pajamas
04-07-2004, 09:14 PM
I too used the original last year and it was the most consistant fly from the boat. So I'm focusing in on this type of streamer for drifting in the boat.

steelhead
04-07-2004, 09:27 PM
I was using it from shore in the estuaries. Would love to see it in action from a boat. I'm amazed at how well some of the classics perform. I used the old Honey and Platinum Blonde flies last year quite a bit and had a great success with them, along with the Gibbs Fly. Then there's always Lefty's Deceiver. As it was originally tied (very sparse), it makes a great sand eel pattern.

There's a great book written by Jim Bay, called Saltwater Flies (published in 1970), that if you can find it is a great read and has many of the early sw patterns form the 50's and 60's, with origins and history.

I guess I rambled a bit....

BTW: Eye is fine. I can see again! Had an awful reaction to the anesthesia. Sicker than a dog...

'ol pajamas
04-07-2004, 10:01 PM
Sounds like you need a nice striper.