View Full Version : what to do with poachers?

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 09:08 PM
ok,
what would you do with all the illigal, poachers, at your favorite herring run?

call the cops?
call the rangers?

last year my run was infected with "illigals" every day!!!
seems the rangers only show up like 3 or 4 days a week. but when the mans not there, it's a free for all. guys h#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g cast nets, guys taking buckets full etc.. heck you don't even need a net.
i'm not talking "fishermen" either.
mike

striprman
04-04-2004, 09:15 PM
A saltwater licence would provide money for law enforcement so that the herring runs could be patroled 24/7 during the seasonal runs.

The fines and penalties for poaching are not severe enough.

Fines should be $100 dollars per fish, confiscation of vehicle, jail time, public service.

C-5 CC
04-04-2004, 09:21 PM
as stated before...you are definately a "friggen democrat"

gdurham75
04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
guys taking herring illegally is a tough nut to crack. Whatever run you may be talking about os supposed to be regulated by the town. they issue the permits for the taking of herring. your first step should be talk to either the conservation officer, if your town has one, or talk to the rangers. Trust me, they want to bag theses guys, they are just usually streched kinda then. If that doesn't get results...contact your local E.P.O. write down the plate numbers at the run, and give them, to the EPO.....they'll get results. :smash:

striprman
04-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by C-5 CC
as stated before...you are definately a "friggen democrat"

Are you a poacher?

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 09:34 PM
striprman,,,, please,,, stay out of my threads.
mike

Raider Ronnie
04-04-2004, 09:41 PM
There's got to be a way of getting this frigin jerk Striperman banned and off this site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:beh ead:

OX
04-04-2004, 09:44 PM
http://images.animfactory.com/animations/animals/horses_mule/smart_donkey_chalkboard_md_blk.gif STRIPRMAN http://teacherweb.com/images/donkey.gif

Rowdy
04-04-2004, 09:46 PM
nj fgw has a hotline 1-800-Game-thief got it programmed in my cell. called last year on some A-hole that had about 10 15 to 18 inch stripers burried in the sand on the beach and they were there asap also helps to get license plates and whatever other info you can. fish and game needs to employ voulanteer deputies i'm sure alot of us would love to help..

Fly Rod
04-04-2004, 09:47 PM
Maybe we can loan you a few enviromental cops from up here. We have more of them then city cops!!! With fishing closed up this way they are like the maytag man "sleeping"

You should call the state marine fishiers and I'm sure that they would send an enviromental to investigate!!!

Here is a number if you want to be an informer.

1-800-632-8075

I'm sure they could put you intouch with the right people

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 09:54 PM
i agree,
give me the badge, and the gun, i'm there enough.
volunteer herring run deputy mike

maddog2020
04-04-2004, 09:55 PM
Fish Poaching: call the MA EPO (800) 632-8075

Never had to call it yet. Call it in and you did your share to help. It doesn't always do you any good to confront the people - leave that to the EPOs.

Some folks may not know its "illegal" - other's don't care. :(

"there is no excuse for ignorance of the law" - that is what an retired Federal EPO once us in a class in college in 1985. This guy would have arrested his mother. :P

BigFish
04-04-2004, 09:56 PM
Striprman, use your head for something other than a hat rack! You honestly are under the assumption that should there be a saltwater fishing license, that would generate more state revenue and you believe that they would post some type of enforcement at the herring runs 24/7?????:smash: You are without a doubt the biggest fool I have seen come down the pike in quite a while.:doh: By the way, I got some swamp land for sale, you interested???

I tried calling the environmental police once last year in regards to a problem and was passed around on the phone like a friggin hot potato! You think money is gonna solve that type of problem???? Pull your head out from where the sun don't shine and get some jumper cables on that melon you are sporting, cause the charge has run down to the point where you can't even spark productive thought!!!:wall: :wall:

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 10:00 PM
yeah,
but when i call the epo?
how long till they get there?
tomorrow?
when all the poachers are gone?
mike

Van
04-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Pull your head out from where the sun don't shine and get some jumper cables on that melon you are sporting, cause the charge has run down to the point where you can't even spark productive thought!!!

BF,,, How do you REALLY feel ????:confused: :confused:

thefishingfreak
04-04-2004, 10:03 PM
no lo comprende'
ignorance of the law is no excuse!

Fly Rod
04-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Striperman

I already pay $100 for my trailer that I use twice a year

$170 for my boat license

$70 for boat registration.

Don't you feel guilty ?????
Maybe you would be happier if you donated to my cause and we could say that is your dues for a salt water license

I'll bet you are a John Kerry fan!!!!

C-5 CC
04-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by striprman
Are you a poacher?

Ya...sure..OK...you're right... I'm a poacher. So, I guess you will want to come and arrest me. You had better bring an army or two. Just pick a spot that you want to take me into custody, and I'll bet we have lots of company:D

beachwalker
04-05-2004, 08:01 AM
you folks is toasted..........

:laughs: :laughs: :laughs:

castn4bass
04-05-2004, 08:14 AM
John,,, seeing as Striperman is so set on us all paying a saltwater fishing licence here is the idea I propose....

Take the total number of registered users on this board and charge them $50.00 each.

I'm sure that Striperman would be happy to pay our bill just so that he could have things HIS WAY!

Take the fees and use them to run this board, for I am sure it would be better spent, than if the state got its hands on that money!!!!!:D :D

The Dad Fisherman
04-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by striprman
A saltwater licence would provide money for law enforcement so that the herring runs could be patroled 24/7 during the seasonal runs.

We pay for feshwater licenses and the money is SUPPOSED to be used for supporting the freshwater fishery. But it ended up diverted to the state budget and they're closing hatcheries down for lack of funds.

My guess is that any money we did put towards saltwater licensing would end up in that big hole in the ground we call the Big Dig and not in supporting the fisheries as it should be intended for.

just my $.02

MakoMike
04-05-2004, 08:59 AM
Guys,
don't you need a FW licene to take herring in MA? Here in RI you do. So the license fees are already there for that 24/7 patrols, we just need striprman to tell the DEm to get it ass in gear.

04-05-2004, 09:31 AM
The 1st order of business should be to enforce the current laws. I was down at the local runs last season when d.e.m came asking to see a valid freshwater license. Well on two occasions there were guys grabbing herring with no license and d.e.m let them off with a warning. Somebody needs to be made the example!

bart
04-05-2004, 10:40 AM
i know its probably not the best thing to do, but i always confront poachers. i don't have any tolerance for that shiat. i've never fished herring so i don't see that problem at the runs, but i def see it during the course of a season. gotta find the find number to call in Rhody to report these bastards. can you call the police? i mean it is a law they're breaking.

Rowdy
04-05-2004, 11:50 AM
here is a link to new jersey fish and game program called Operation Game Thief i have searched other FGW websites and havent found a similar program maby you can suggest this to your FGW offices and get it started near you Operation Game Thief (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/ogt.htm)

this is very similar to haveing us as deputies which i believe will help alot.

beamie
04-05-2004, 12:45 PM
A freind of mine once witnessed a comm lobsterman at night with a gill net across the creek. filled up about 8 totes. What a way to really ruin it for everyone, except maybe the lobsterman.

pete santini
04-05-2004, 05:05 PM
go to the police in you city and ask them for some of that yellow crime scene tape and put it aroud your herring run thenput up a sign somebody was eaten by a freshwater shark. make sure you post it many different languages so everyone can read it

Raven
04-06-2004, 11:44 AM
quote: by fishingfreak: what to do with poachers?

my answer is: video tape them in the act. and then go and video tape their cars and license plates as well. Then you have solid proof that they are breaking the law. Once submitted to the proper law enforcement agency they will have to enforce the law.

Flaptail
04-06-2004, 01:07 PM
I myself think that instant retribution is the only way to deal with poachers. That being said I think you all know what that means. Oh yeah, if there is anything left of them then call the cops if you still feel the need. That is all, as you were, you may stand down.

chris L
04-06-2004, 01:48 PM
wait for water to boil then boil for 3 minutes or until whites are stiff .

Raven
04-06-2004, 04:50 PM
saw into chunks .... shark size chunks ..... bring blood chum

Slingah
04-06-2004, 08:05 PM
thats right

ThrowingTimber
04-07-2004, 01:23 AM
And the RISAA got together and took it upon themselves to establish a presence at the run, I'm sure that deterred a lot of poachers/ double/triple dippers. That rocked IMHO.

Oh and I love seeing this message:D

This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click ;)

briancoffey
04-08-2004, 12:21 PM
I am new to this... Can you leaglly collect herring from the runs with a license???

I read some of the marine fishiries info, and it looks like you can do it with a hand dipped net is this correct??

Can you use a cast ent at the mouth of a river??

Again I am new go easy..

thefishingfreak
04-08-2004, 12:31 PM
at my run all you need is a freshwater licence.
no fishing on tues. thurs. and sun.
25 herring per day, dip net only.

some runs require permits which are probably long gone by now.

talk to the enviromental police,they will know.
mike

Swimmer
04-08-2004, 09:13 PM
Not the same animal. Herring poaching is an activity that is governed by only a town permitting system whereby a fine can only be levied after being summoned to court by a valid municipal officer from within the jurisdiction where the offense occurred. EPO's are law enforcement but not for herringin that regard. Herring are androgynous fish that only swim upriver to spawn and theirfor fishing license is not needed to take them as you probably know. There are problem netting issues thought that EPO's can do something about. Things like spanning a river or stream with a net to effectively block passage of any fish and trapping virtually every fish that swims by might be of interest to EPO's. Every year poachers trapped elvers in that way, spanning rivers completely with small opening nets to catch the elvers swimming in from the sea after birth. That brings in big money. Sop if you want to get people who take herring without a permit dial the p.d. in the town your in. Just make sure the town has a bylaw governing the taking of the herring wothout a permit first.