View Full Version : Mercury-sets the water on fire

Van
04-05-2004, 09:17 AM
You guys seen the new 4 stroke merc. I talked to a guy here at work, then checked the website. Its called the Verado.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/

One of the most inovative engines to come off any production line for a long time. Supercharged, intercooled, vibration control that adjusts as rpm changes. They even had design and engineering help from lotus.

This thing is unbelievable. all electronic controlled even throttle/shift and steering. No cables ! Straight 6 just like the old days.
Now if only the price was reasonable (NAH,,, that won't happen !!!)

I would love to put the 225 on my baby.:drool: :drool: :drool:

slapshot
04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Wow, supercharged. I used to have a Thunderbird SuperCoupe. You had to run premium fuel in it because of the supercharger to keep the head gaskets from blowing. I wonder if you need high octane in these? Gas is expensive at the dock.

Team Rock On
04-05-2004, 10:31 AM
2 Verados equal 3 optimaxes in both weight and price. They get about the same gas mileage too, but I hear they are FAST motors. No worries though, they are only offered in new boat packages right now.

Van
04-05-2004, 12:59 PM
With the supercharger, they are getting 275 hp out of a 2.6 liter block. Add 24 valve DOHC. and high tech fuel injection. Incredible power to weight ratio.
Slapshot--------RUNS ON REGULAR GAS! 87 Octane
Recommended rpm was around 5600-6400.
That sucka is freaking spinning!! awfully fast for a 4 cycle.

I wnat one, but I need to hit the lottery. :( :(

Vectorfisher
04-05-2004, 01:16 PM
Better wait a year or two on that one I will bet dollars to donuts there will be some serious issues with this motor in the near future:(

MakoMike
04-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Van,
there's an advertising insert for them in all of this months fishing mags. I'd waut a year or teo, as with a brand new product, to let them get the inevitable kinks worked out.

Van
04-05-2004, 02:09 PM
You guys are probably right, there may be some issues that will show up.

I also read it has a belt driven alternator (BAD?) Might be a prob, however, it is pushing 70 amps (GOOD)!!!

As for me I'll end up staying with what I have until there is nothing left of it. The $$$ for new power is just out of control.

Vectorfisher
04-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Yah Van your not kidding about prices being out of control I figure I will buy everyones used up motors for parts for the next 10 years before I buy new. Just glad that I didn't buy a boat that had twins:smash: Boat Us 100 tow plan sure beats 12-18K for an additional motor:rolleyes: It sucks to get towed in but for a savings of 11,900.00 on the low side, I'll take it!

Bob Senior
04-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Anyone find prices on these things?

They recommend 92 octane for max performance; minimum of 87. To me that means 92 octane--between $3 and 4$ a gallon this summer.

I agree with the notion of waiting till the bugs are worked out.

I sure do like the electronic control system, though. My hands cramp up steering my Suzi for a day.

schoolie monster
04-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Van, I saw the commercial the other morning watching fishing shows. That thing was really sharp lookin'. With the advances in technology, we should see some neat stuff in marine engines comin' down the pipe.

Hooper
04-08-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by Bob Senior
They recommend 92 octane for max performance; minimum of 87. To me that means 92 octane--between $3 and 4$ a gallon this summer. [/B]

That right there would stop me cold....

Yep, just one more of the many reasons why I STILL dream of a downeaster with a single Yanmar....

Have you seen this monster yet???

www.deepseaboatworks.com

That would be good for chasing schoolies on the flats, eh???:rolleyes:

JohnR
04-08-2004, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Hooper
Have you seen this monster yet???

www.deepseaboatworks.com

That would be good for chasing schoolies on the flats, eh???:rolleyes: I'm thinkg it would be better for Flukin the upper bay.... :D

Team Rock On
04-08-2004, 03:22 PM
I couldn't seem to locate this address...

4040 Itsahoax Road

Contact Info: Deepsea Boatworks | 4040 Itsahoax Road | Miami, Florida 31777 | 407-571-4992