View Full Version : Ever get "finned" ?

striprman
04-05-2004, 12:27 PM
or "gilled"

The dorsal fin spines are very sharp, watch out when the fish you catch is flopping around. Stripers instinctivly use the dorsal fin spines as protection.
The gill plate of a striper is also very sharp. There is a razor sharp ridge along the side of the head of a striped bass that can also cut a fishermans hand.
Also watch out for the anal fin spine which can also cause a puncture wound to the unwary fisherman.

Puncture wounds can become infected. Wash all wounds with soap and water and apply a bandage if necessary. If pain and swelling occour, or redness, see a doctor as this is a sign of infection.

Jenn
04-05-2004, 12:31 PM
anyone who fishes and catches stripers has been stabbed a time or two.....:rolleyes:

Saltheart
04-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Why not just post the link to the source from where you copied this?

BigFish
04-05-2004, 12:53 PM
Wow....that is enlightening Striprman.....:confused: I had no idea that the striped bass had sharp dorsal fins?:tm:

Thanks for the tip on cleaning and bandageing wounds, I usually let mine hemorhage for quite awhile before I realize that maybe I might want to stop the bleeding at some point.:smash: I generally in the past have waited to bandage many wounds almost to the point of passing out.....but in the future, should I be one of the fortunate ones who may just catch a striped bass, and should he try to defend himself by pricking me with those very, very sharp areas, then I will try your method of cleaning and bandageing immediately as opposed to waiting for it to simply heal itself.:doh:

Man, just when you thought you knew everything....finally someone comes along that possesses all of the fishing knowledge in the world all rolled up into one human life form......wow, it just doesn't get much more informative than this!:D

Big Vern
04-05-2004, 01:01 PM
striprman, you're not related to striper sniper x by any chance are you? I was thinking you might be his dad, uncle, or the like.

Please inform us of how to look out for the teeth of a bluefish next.

Homerun04
04-05-2004, 04:10 PM
Oh yeah.....ouch.....:smash:

Raven
04-05-2004, 04:24 PM
how am i gonna follow your blood trail backwards to your sweet spot if you go and put a bandage on your boo boo. thats no fair i tell yah.

Crafty Angler
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Nah, never been finned by a bass but I got porked on a used reel once.

MrsSFrances
04-06-2004, 02:16 PM
i've been finned, bit(although they have no teeth, except for a snadpaper feel) and beat up by a striper:D

Also sunk a plug into the back of my head once...and ripped it out not knowing it was attached to my skull, until my husband saw the blood..hehe..

Qouted by my hubster

"typical woman always in a hurry" refering to me just ripping the plug out...:D:D

It didnt hurt....really....

I've hooked myself quite a bit:eek: Im just an accident waiting to happen:p

But I love to fish and not afraid to get dirty doing it:D :D