View Full Version : Striper Bycatch

flatts1
04-06-2004, 02:05 PM
FYI:

http://atlanticstates.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=3306064584&f=9496054694&m=27610505211

Fly Rod
04-07-2004, 07:19 AM
After seeing the chart it amaszes me that the recreational striped bass fisherman is complaining about the commercial guy.

According to the chart commercial fishing only accounts for 20% of the catch, 5 million pounds while the recs keep 20 million pounds.

Talk about greed!!!!

schoolie monster
04-16-2004, 02:59 PM
And how many recs make up the rec side, Flyrod?

Is that an even number of recreational anglers vs. commercial fishermen?

I'm one man... you are one man. Our take should be equal.

Don't use fuzzy math to say that the rec take should equal the comm take. If there are 10,000 times more recs out there, or a 100,000 times or whatever, than the recs take should be 10,000 or a 100,000 times more.

One man = one vote
one man = one fish

The rec take vs comm take argument is weak. We hear it every time.

Greed is one man wanting more than another. A single comm angler wants more access to the resource than a single rec angler. That is greed.

How many million recreational anglers our out there? Versus how many thousand commercial fisherman?

schoolie monster
04-16-2004, 03:07 PM
I don't want to be totally negative... I think there is plenty of room for the rod and reel commercial fishery as it is. I agree that the real problem is the overfishing of forage species such as menhaden, pollution of habitat and commercial bycatch by draggers.

Rod and reel comms can release shorts alive and they don't kill other species by accident. Draggers kill without prejudice and those fish don't go against any quotas.

But that argument of comm vs rec freakin' burns me every time I hear it.

Inherently, you are saying you are more entitled to that resource than I am. I don't get it.

Mainiac
03-06-2005, 11:47 AM
schoolie monster you have hit the nail on the head. The reduction of prime forage species,especially pogies, is a major concern. Here in Maine we have not had a significant pogy run since 1990.Between the Russians and Japenese I'm surprised there are any pogies left.Funny how commercial fishermen neglect the raping of the sea ain't it.They just can't see how they have degraded the fish stocks.:smash:

RIROCKHOUND
03-07-2005, 12:41 PM
Don't jump all over flyrod, he was just making a statement... There are obviously less comm's then Rec.s, BUT if we are going to make a dent it total pounds caught, both sides need to take a look at it, not just cutting commercial catch...

That being said, I agree that forage species is very important, and hopefully managament will shift towards a more ecosystem based approach,
Bryan

MakoMike
03-07-2005, 01:04 PM
Mainiac,
The ONLY commercial pigies fishing boat are in VA and they are entirely American owned, and fish in VA state waters.

fishdog13
03-08-2005, 06:23 PM
recreational striped bass fisherman is complaining about the commercial guy.

According to the chart commercial fishing only accounts for 20% of the catch, 5 million pounds while the recs keep 20 million pounds.

Talk about greed!!!!,. NOW THIS IS THE TRUTH. now let's increase the quota people. or you gunna let the fat libs take over . .you're choice.:mad: