View Full Version : Thru-drilled a bunch of AYC today and.......

BigFish
04-06-2004, 05:24 PM
I thru-drilled 20 pieces of AYC today and it went pretty well, however I have a couple of questions. The pieces I drilled are 8.5 inches long, makin' some needlefish soon. I drilled both ends first with the drill press, went in about 2 inches on both ends and then I had to finish with a hand drill. Out of 20 pieces, 15 came out great and five did not. That is a 3 to 1 ratio which considering it was my first time, I do not think I did too bad. Questions are as follows:

1. Do you all have to finish drilling by hand or can you do yours complete all the way through on your drill press?

2. Do you always get yours perfect or do you screw up every once in a while?

3. Do you let your AYC sit for a while to dry before you begin using it? (I notice some of my pieces were quite soft in the center?)

Thanks for any insight you may be able to give.

:D

Slingah
04-06-2004, 06:14 PM
get to work

blackeye
04-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I used to screw up 1 in 3 plugs so don't feel bad. Maybe try drilling after u spin the wood. That's how I do it and I made a jig for my press with a punch on the bottom to keep yoour holes lined up.
chris

Backbeach Jake
04-06-2004, 06:51 PM
I square my blanks in the miter saw, After I turn them they still have the square ends I take them to the drill press, center drill one end flip it and drill the other. Then I connect the holes with a hand drill. I'll blow out a side once or twice in twenty. I haven't had the pleasure of AYC.

Slipknot
04-06-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by BigFish

1. Do you all have to finish drilling by hand or can you do yours complete all the way through on your drill press?

2. Do you always get yours perfect or do you screw up every once in a while?

3. Do you let your AYC sit for a while to dry before you begin using it? (I notice some of my pieces were quite soft in the center?)

:D

1. depends on the length of the plug, anyway I do mine on the lathe, and depending on the length of the drill bit I use I sometimes have to finish by hand-drill with a 10-12" bit.

2. bits tend to wander in certain woods, there is a learning curve, you'll get used to what works and doesn't.

3. It depends on the moisture content of the wood. cedar is a soft wood.

keep going Larry, you're doing fine. :)

BigFish
04-06-2004, 07:37 PM
Thanks Blackeye, Backbeach and Slipknot....I am a perfectionist, and I drive myself crazy searching for my best! Soon you will see it (when I finish a few I will have Slingah post em'). Slingah, you just want my plugs!:)

spence
04-06-2004, 08:58 PM
I made a batch of needles from hardwood dowel stock, 12 at 7" and 6 @ 11". I burned one of the short ones and half of the long ones.

This was my first attempt at both, I think I did pretty well :D

-spence

Tagger
04-07-2004, 04:46 PM
U need round toothpicks and glue until youv'e suffered through learning curve .. No one will ever know .. I do em on the lathe sometimes and the drill press that I set up with a dowell center but usaully set up for something eles so pain in trhe arse .. U need a chuck for your lathe ..also doubles as a sander for ends..

BigFish
04-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the info Tagger.....it went pretty well considering my first time thru-drilling in quantity. Turned a few of them into needlefish today! They look fabulous!:)

Slingah
04-07-2004, 05:24 PM
nevermind StriperTalk and that guy that crawled up your butt ..u just look here and learn "how-to"then get some of those dam plugs made....I'm waiting.......
sorry if this is a hi-jack

BigFish
04-07-2004, 05:38 PM
LOL!:D