View Full Version : How to use herring?

Chowdahead
04-07-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi,
i was wondering what is the best way to use herring >?
Night or day >? Do you fish the top or the bottom with herring ?
where do you hook them ? what species will you catch with herring and can i catch herring and then use them for live bait>???

thanks

Rowdy
04-07-2004, 11:27 AM
the all around best way to fish herring is live but chunks work good also. most of the time i will fish them with no weight just a circle hook and a flouro leader with a swivel. sometimes i will fish them on the same rig but with a appropriate sized egg sinker above the swivel (fishfinder rig) striped bass love em. but have cought weakfish and fluke on strips and chunks. hope this helps

MikeTLive
06-04-2004, 08:24 PM
Ever try those pickled herring snacks as bait?
sure - it is more expensive - but they taste better when you have to eat your bait.

Will they catch fish? Tomorrow I may know...

herringman
09-21-2004, 05:47 PM
hey, I find the best way to find herring is around docks and there are loads of them around this time. Also, you can find them in estuaries and rivers but my favorite are docks, I use a sabiki rig, u can find it at your local tackle shop, and it works great. I catch sometimes 50 in a half an hour.

I like to fish them in moving water like rivers because thats where they are most abundant. Becuase of the current i usually put a one once weight on my line and use a leader-not metal is ur going for stripers(they will see it). I put the weight about 3 feet above the hook or put a "sinker-slider"on.

I find the best way to hook them is through the lips coming down from the top through the bottom, or through the eyes. I personally think it looks more natural and swims better.

This is the best bait for stripers but ull catch blues- or get ur line shredded by them- and just about anything else.

hope this was useful

vineyardblues
05-20-2005, 11:30 AM
Them Dam fish die in 10 min ,so what we have done after they are dead is this: Take some of the shipping popcorn , stuff one in it's mouth .:)
With a little help from your rod tip,,twitch it every once in a while... it keeps it a loft real good..have fun!
VB

fishsmith
05-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Whole dead herring with no weight has worked well for me.

fishaholic18
05-20-2005, 11:41 PM
Are you fishing from boat or shore?
The spot I fish from boat this time of year, I three way them live with the Gami 7/0 hook beween the eyes and nose or just in front of the dorsal fin.
From the shore I use a 7/0 hooked just behind the dorsal fin (so they swim away from me) with no weight.
Good luck, but Herring are a PIA. You can do just as well with wood.