View Full Version : FREE: saltwater gear for clubs/kids

maddog2020
04-08-2004, 06:49 AM
I have a pile of used saltwater gear I would be willing to donate to an organization, or under privalaged youth (you have to be under 18 yrs old). Mainly stuff to be used off of a boat, or a pier. Boat style conventional rods (up to 7') & reels - not made for casting ( more for bottom fishing, or trolling), some other spinning gear as well. Some of its new some of its old & rusty, but it all works.

Please don't contact me to sell it. I don't want the $, I just want some newbies to start learning how to fish and perhaps pass that love down to other children. :)

Post here and we can set something up. My only requirement is that you come to pick it up (I am not going to pack it up and ship it anywhere....lol). I work in Waltham, MA (right off of Rt128/95) and live another 20 miles west of here in central MA (few miles from 495 & MA Pike).

I'll give a week or so and then divide up the gear to various parties.

mikecc
04-08-2004, 06:55 AM
Nice jesture MD
I donated to my local Library . You could also drop off at the Local Boys & Girls Club kids can sign it out with their cards.

thefishingfreak
04-08-2004, 07:17 AM
nice.
might be something for the mass. bass. jr. striper swipers club?

The Dad Fisherman
04-08-2004, 07:19 AM
Hey MD, I just recently signed up w/ the Plum Island Surfcasters and I know they run a Kids program and would more than likely be interested in the stuff. Let me contact them to make sure but if So I will take it for them.

Do you care if some of the stuff is raffled off to provide funding for organizations that will use it for helping kids get involved in fishing?

I am also involved heavily in Cub Scouts so that could be another avenue for a donation.

Could you PM me a rough list of what you have so I can relay it to them...thanx

Pick-up in Waltham would be no problem either

Van
04-08-2004, 07:58 AM
I am co-chair of the MSBA striper swipers (juniors).

That is a generous offer, I am trying to think if it could be used by the kids as "learning tools" , like take them apart see how they work and fix them up. Maybe....or it could be raffled too. dunno.

If there are some underprivleged kids that would benefit, let it go to them.

Just let me know.

maddog2020
04-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Never knew a library, or boys & girls club would take fishing gear. Cool idea to check it out like a book.

I rather see some one use the gear than selling it off. I'll see what kind of other responses are posted before I decide.

I don't have a list compiled at all. I'll try to get one together.

Some of the reels would be a good teaching aid to take apart and clean up. I got some old & ugly rods some one could scrape clean and re-wrap if that is of any use (otherwise they were gonna be plant stakes....lol).

Regardless, my wife will be happy to see this stuff get out of the garage and cellar. ;)

thefishingfreak
04-08-2004, 07:11 PM
hey,
i've got a pile of that stuff too!
not nice enough to sell, but too nice to throw away.
good rod blanks, reels, etc....good for learning.

when you figure out who it's going to go to....
count my pile o' stuff in.

good idea with the donating!!!
mike d.

maddog2020
04-11-2004, 10:21 PM
Cool, the fishingfreak - another horder of gear ..... LOL. ;)

I put together a partial list so far (I gotta dig around since there is stuff tucked all over the place).

11 rods (5 conventional & 6 spinning)

7 reels (4 conventional & 3 spinning)

Everything works and can be fished immediately. :)

The Dad Fisherman
04-12-2004, 07:20 AM
I am still interested in getting some of this for the kids program at Plum Island Surfcasters. Whatever you want to donate would be awesome....thanx

maddog2020
04-14-2004, 09:35 AM
Bump.

It is more like 12 rods and 10 reels ..... may be more ..... lol. ;)

The Dad Fisherman & Van - please pm me a phone # to call in evenings.

So far no other groups have shown interest.

Any one here from RISAA?? Can some one ask them if they need any boat style conventional rods?

Thanks. :)

RI Popper
04-14-2004, 01:41 PM
Hello, I'm the Chairman of the RISAA Junior Activities Committee and I'd take what ever you got and make sure it gets into the hands of some of the new kids in the club, especially those who aren't of much means. Each Year our club provides a "Take-A-City-Kid Fishing" Day. We could use it there to teach some of the kids with. and maybe raffle it off to them. Let me know if it's still available.

Armand
armandt@bsn1.net

spence
04-14-2004, 01:49 PM
I've got a uglystick baitcaster combo I could get rid of. Is there anywhere in the east bay I could drop it off and it would get to you?

-spence

RI Popper
04-14-2004, 02:00 PM
I'm sure we can make some arrangements give me a call I'll pm you my number.

maddog2020
04-14-2004, 02:39 PM
COOL dudes. :D

I'll call people over the next couple of nites.

Better to have kids fishing than hanging out around street corners in the summer IMHO. Not that there is anything wrong with that, I grew up in Boston during the busing era.

maddog2020
04-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Armand check your private messages - call me dude!

Nice chatting Van & TDF/Kevin.