View Full Version : Regs on pollock for bait

pete santini
04-12-2004, 04:10 PM
Anybody know what the regs on using pollock for bait are? Do they have a minimum size ?

JohnR
04-12-2004, 04:14 PM
Pete, seeing that there is no limits on take or size one could assume there is no limit to size and number to live-line:

http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/recreationalFishing/rec_index.htm#finfish

Team Rock On
04-12-2004, 04:16 PM
According to the MA dmf there is no size or bag limit. http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/dmf/recreationalFishing/rec_index.htm

pete santini
04-12-2004, 05:48 PM
pollck are much hardier than their herring cousins, they take a licking and keep on ticking like the old timex watch ads. Did you guys have any trouble finding them last year in august ?

goalie
04-12-2004, 05:58 PM
Pete, I was catching many 6 inch pollock off the Graves in August. Simply jigging the herring rigs with diamond jig allowed us to catch a bunch for bait. Into the livewell and then we free swam them right in off the rocks of the Graves.

BasicPatrick
04-12-2004, 07:05 PM
Hey goalie,

Welcome to the board. A bit of advice, talk all you want about technique but leave the Spot Id's for private conversations or E-mails. You will understand this when in august there are forty three boats squeezing you out of your Pollack spot mentioned earlier.

beamie
04-12-2004, 07:06 PM
This is the problem with the Green Police. If you ask 10 of them the same question you will get about 6 differering answers.

One freind of mine was jigging pollock for bait near Farnham Bell one day and was told by a greenie it was not allowed.

I have been doing it for years. As the previous posts state...no length or bag limit.

Do all yourself a favor and print out a copy of the Reg size chart and keep it on the boat. A bit of Ammo against people who don't know what the regs are, even when it is there job.

Pollock yes they are great... Maybe not the premire bait, but if you don't drink Bud and I wave a Bud Light in your face eventually you'll give in.

Much hardier than herring, not as hardy as Macs or pogies but in August it is well worth the hour of jigging up a dozen or so at a rock pile and then drag/drift then around.

Beamie

Notaro
04-12-2004, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by pete santini
pollck are much hardier than their herring cousins, they take a licking and keep on ticking like the old timex watch ads. Did you guys have any trouble finding them last year in august ?

I didn't have any trouble at all. If you dump chunk a herring for pollock, the stripers wont go near it while they are swarming. I livelined them w/ no successes except finding that the basses loved playing them around...:D In my spots, they are around all the time.