View Full Version : How do you explain this to your insurance guy???

MrsSFrances
04-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Ummm..yeah I was drivin along and the deer just decided to become my passenger?!?!

The Dad Fisherman
04-13-2004, 10:59 AM
I can almost tell you how from Experience. :D

MrsSFrances
04-13-2004, 11:10 AM
ive only ever hit one deer and it was right after i got my new car:af: sucker was so big that i thought it was my nieghbors horse:eek:

here it was a huge buck, who did $3,500 in damage to the rear end of my car:af:

im guessing you had the same thing happen or something similar??:eek: :eek:

cheferson
04-13-2004, 11:16 AM
I had a massive 8 point buck smack into my s-10 2 blocks from my house , 3 days after i got the truck.

Goose
04-13-2004, 11:21 AM
massive 8 point buck

...just where exactly do you live? :think: ;)

cheferson
04-13-2004, 12:00 PM
I live in narragansett. Ive seen plenty of deer in my time, but this mo-fo was huge. Made a huge dent in my front end too, $800:af: :af: :af: . I was only going about 20 when i hit it too. I took my dog out for a leak the other nite and there was 6 in my front yard!

BigFish
04-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Cheferson....did you have that buck mounted...LOL...or was it already mounted on the hood of your truck?:laugha:

cheferson
04-13-2004, 01:20 PM
If i wasnt so ripped after it happened, i probally would have thought to keep it. Im sure i could have got a couple hundred bucks for it. I just flipped out screaming obscene things to it for about 5 minutes, then almost kicked it before deciding that wasnt a good idea,pictured it getting up and goring me. Now every time i see deer when im driving i have an anxiety attack:D .

The Dad Fisherman
04-13-2004, 01:32 PM
That was my Wife's $4500 Craving. She was pregnant w/ my daughter and wanted Chinese food...I just wanted a sub. But being the supportive husband i was i drove to the next town to get her chinese. Deer came out of nowwhere and I nailed it. I got home 2 hours later handed her the Food and said she better enjoy it. Oh and by the way go take a look at YOUR car. :D :D

Diamond Tackle
04-13-2004, 05:06 PM
I have the picture of the INSIDE of that same truck. It aint pretty.
Cant post it, Very very messy.
My dad hit one about 2 years ago, Perfect center bumper impact(Chevy Tahoe), NOT a scratch on the truck. The cop shot it with 12 gau?.Delicious sausages (when mix in some pork)
Ive only hit ONE in the last 5 years, he got away to die later and I felt bad. Had approx 10 near misses. One with a 8+point buck full speed across the road I missed him by inches at 50 mph, never saw him til he was in front of me(rutting season).
Thats the EXCEPTION, usually it gets real messy & very expensive and sometimes DEADLY. These deer have no place to go, they are eating everything including all the flowers in our backyards in this great garden state of NJ. In Most Counties here you cant even get a discharge permit unless youre in a gun club. My town has one club and there is a 10 year waiting list.
And these town idiots cant figure out why the deer are multiplying to the point of starvation in the winter & getting hit like squirrels all year round.
In one area (I think it was the geniuses in Princeton), get this. They wanted to hire "professional sharpshooters/ snipers" at the taxpayers expense. Freaking Brilliant, No ?
And most people I come in contact with have had someone in their family whos had a bout with Lime disease. My mom had it,our nighbor had it, 2 of my moms best friends had it. I can name a dozen. I dont know what it will take for people to wise up and allow Hunters to do their thing.

MrsSFrances
04-13-2004, 05:49 PM
I do agree with thinning out the herds, but the sad thing is that the contractors are building up the country so much that the wild life has no where to go anymore....no land is sacred anymore...they see a piece of land as $$$, and immediatly there are housing being built....

My family has had their share of deer, there was a running joke with my uncle that they should take his car into the woods with them, they would have a better chance at getting deer, hit hit at least 3 deer a year....

Valley Forge Park has a thing, (from what I heard) that they allow people to go in and thin out the herds....Which at times I can totally agree with....But soon we will only be able to see deer in the zoo's....I am not "one of those people" who are totally against hunting or anything of that nature, I love to fish, and deer meat is good to eat....When I fish, I eat what I catch....If I hunted it would be the same way....

Deer are becoming a pain in the butt...but we have to think of that they are being chased out of their living space and into the roads and peoples backyards....

When that buck hit my car, it got up and ran, I knew it was going to die, and I felt horrible, but what can you do...I tried to find him, the next day...but with no luck, I didnt find him....

Soon we will not have land to hunt, unless you travel to the mountains....I know there are hardly any places in my area to hunt, and my parents live next to farm land which is now going to be a bunch of $300,000 homes......Again no land is scared anymore...and it sucks...!

Even in the fishing world....I have seen many places that we could fish and in a years time people put up signs that say no trespassing or pri vate property...because they are either being built up or are owned....eh...just my opinion

:smash:

Crafty Angler
04-13-2004, 05:50 PM
HOLY CWAP!!!!
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Crafty Angler
04-13-2004, 05:52 PM
Uhhhh...Mrs. F. are ya gonna do anything with that bucktail...it looks to be in pretty fair shape......

"uffah!!"
04-13-2004, 05:58 PM
No sweat, I got Three (3) like that in less than two (2) months
in 1999. All three (3) within a one (1) mile strech in Danbury,Ct.
on I-84 . Each time the company had to Replace the nose on my
Mack tractor. This is the same tractor!

MrsSFrances
04-13-2004, 06:01 PM
hahahaaaa.... crafty....thats not my car...thank god!!!

Slipknot
04-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by MrsSFrances
I do agree with thinning out the herds, but the sad thing is that the contractors are building up the country so much that the wild life has no where to go anymore....no land is sacred anymore...they see a piece of land as $$$, and immediatly there are housing being built....

:

I don't know about that statement, people gotta live somewhere and contractors are not going to build housing developments in the middle of nowhere. Granted, it is spreading out but money being made from building houses keeps people working and helps to keep the whole economy going. Part of the country's lifestyle it seems.

MrsSFrances
04-13-2004, 07:25 PM
Yes slip you are right, it keeps people working....but there are alot of houses that need TLC that could be fixed up and lived in....I do see where you are coming from....I see so many abandoned houses that could be housing a family....Its all about location, location, location....its not only the housing contractors, but also the people who build shopping malls and strip malls out in the middle of no where....its a convenience to have the mall closer to people, because we as the human race are lazy and don't want to drive a certain distance to shop...so it's not only housing....I only say this because in my area, everytime I turn around there is either a housing development being built or another friggin Wawa, when there is a Wawa 5 minutes up the street....Or another strip mall being built on a piece of nice land...

I know it gives people work, but also they could be restoring old homes...that would keep them in work too...But it's all about who's house is new and the biggest or what ever.....It's sad that nothing is sacred....whats wrong with having a little space between neighbors, or driving 10 minutes to the store?

I know I dont have to have a store 2 minutes from my house....

I do see where you are coming from....Please excuse my rant...but I believe in keeping some land.....not only for the wildlife but our kids and our kids, kids.....

;)

Squid kids Dad
04-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I am an insurance appraiser.Have seen plenty of deer damage.Last week I saw a first,,A lady was driving down a local road slowly about 20 mpr...And boom,,She said a wild turkey come up of the side of the road and flew right into her hood ,smashing thru the widshield and sunfoof ,damaging the dash and interior...Blood and feathers everywhere..She showed me a picture of dead turkey stuck in windsheild..About a $1500 claim..She has turkey for Easter..lol

MrsSFrances
04-14-2004, 11:10 AM
mmmmm....turkey....:drools:

heh, that reminds me of a lil female turkey, when we lived in Rockport, on rt. 127 (Main st.) they where doing road work and there was a cop directing traffic and this lil female turkey used to follow him all over the place....I think she was in-lurveeee:love:

likwid
04-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Think the deer are getting bad in New England?

Look at whats happening in Colorado, Utah etc. with ELK.
Their migratory paths have been pushed across MAJOR HIGHWAYS and cause massive problems.

An Elk will destroy a semi in a heartbeat.