View Full Version : hiking/mountain-biking near Charlestown?

Jamie M
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
My wife and I are renting a house in Charlestown from June 13 - June 20th. We decided on this particular house because we wanted a place where we could bring our dog. The house is near a restaurant called The Lobster Pot.

I'm hoping to find some forest-type areas where I can do some hiking or mountain biking with the dog and the wife. Someplace where it's OK to let a friendly, well-behaved (but not perfectly behaved) golden retriever run around. I'm guessing that during the weekdays, with kids still in school, crowds should not be a problem

I have no idea where to loof for that type of activity in the Charlestown area. The guy who owns the house suggested the Burlingame Park area or the Ninigret Wildlike Refuge area.

Any suggestions??

Rappin Mikey
04-13-2004, 11:05 AM
Forget the forest. Grab your gear and hike the sands!

MakoMike
04-13-2004, 12:30 PM
Jamie,
Burlingame and Ninigret were the first two places to come to my mind. There's another management area just to the northwest of there, the name escapes me right now, but if you look on a map you'll see it.

Scotch Bonnet
04-13-2004, 12:48 PM
I know a good trail for the dog. I'll PM you directions later (remind me if I forget......)

Forget about bringing the dog on the beach at that time of the year.

Good time to be in C-Town;)

Jamie M
04-13-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks Scratch Bonnett. If you ask me, ANY TIME is a good time to be in Charlestown. When I retire (probably when I'm 80), that's where we want to live. What a beautiful place.

I also meant to ask about dogs on the beach. Will I be unable to bring him on a state or town beach in mid-June, even on a weekday?? I figured weekends would be tough, but I thought we'd be OK during the week.

Any dog-friendly beaches out on Block?