View Full Version : Visit Cape Cod

jettyboy
04-13-2004, 11:01 PM
I am a newbie to surf fishing and I am taking a trip to Cape Cod in July- specifically Yarmouth...Any ideas where I should go surf fishing - Smugglers beach or Seagull Beach? or do I take a drive to Chatham? Looking for Striped Bass or Blues...Thanks for any assistance.

ReelChitty
04-13-2004, 11:22 PM
In that area I like west dennis beach.

Hooper
04-14-2004, 02:14 AM
JB-

I grew up fishing the surf in the Dennis-Yarmouth area. I will probably be able to blame my future skin cancer on the spring run of bass and blues on the south side beaches!

Beginning in Mid May, from about the 10th on, there are bass on most of the south facing beaches and inlets. West Dennis Beach, Smuggler's (Bass River Beach), Seagull Beach, and the many beaches of Dennisport will all produce. Memorial Day Weekend always brought the first strong run of bluefish, almost like clockwork. From then on it is great until things get real warm in mid July. After that, forget it. The water is just too warm for beach fishing.

For early July, I would suggest a running tide in the late afternoon into early evening and you should do well. The water does warm quickly as Nantucket Sound is shallow. Blues will hit the beaches often right at sunset especially if there is a decent SouthWest wind blowing, which it seems like there always is!

The inlet right behind West Dennis Beach that runs more or less west and east is a great spot to look for bass. It holds fish all season long.

Chatham is great too, but , like any place, it has its' good days and not so good days. Try doing a search for "Outermost Harbor Marine" who run a water taxi to Monomoy. That would be fun and probably your best shot at whacking fish from the beaches in that area. Although, many guys walk the length of Hardings Beach at the entrance to Stage Harbor and do well also.

I hope this helps you out.

-Hooper

www.melissaannsportfishing.com

fishweewee
04-14-2004, 06:12 AM
Steer clear of West Yarmouth. :bshake:

MakoMike
04-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Hire Bassmaster to take you fishing!

bassmaster
04-14-2004, 11:01 AM
Hi, If I was You i would venture to the outer beaches
there is good info above :)
But Chatham inlet would be a hop and a skip for you to fish at night
any??? feel free:)

capesams
04-14-2004, 11:25 AM
HI ..:) I'm new here an want fish the out beaches this fall,,can you tell me where the best holes are at the all parking lots from eastham on down, this way I don't have to waste all my time looking for myself. I heard you guy's tell all, what a great site...Your the best...txs.:rolleyes:

ps...if someone could mark the spots on a map for me that would be great too..

striprman
04-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Jettyboy

Seagull beach has a couple nice jettys to fish off of.

BigFish
04-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Is Seagull Beach the one with the sea gulls on it???:smash: :laugha: :tm: :think:

l.i.fish.in.vt
04-14-2004, 12:02 PM
just about any place on the cape with water would be worth while checking out, you never know were you might find a fish or two

striprman
04-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Is Seagull Beach the one with the sea gulls on it???:smash: :laugha: :tm: :think:

Just what kind of race is actually run at race point?

BigFish
04-14-2004, 12:28 PM
Race for the beach permits of course!:ss: :bl:

striprman
04-14-2004, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by BigFish
Race for the beach permits of course!:ss: :bl:

I thought so.