View Full Version : blaming the internet

l.i.fish.in.vt
04-15-2004, 05:59 AM
to all those blaming the internet for this and that, what do you base you it on. most people i fish with on the cape and li are not internet users. standing in line for 4 hours not one of at least 20 people i talked to were internet users. of all the people i have meet fishing very few are internet users, other than some flings and legs the only member i have metis Bigfish. is it only internet users that blame the internet.?

spinncognito
04-15-2004, 06:12 AM
Perhaps folks are just not all that willing to fess-up to where they get there info? As a former "lurker" I will admit to using the net to assist in my quest for a trophy. While I do not hop in my truck and speed off to every location that alledgedly coughed up a cow, if fishermen are having continued success in an "area", I may be tempted to fish it.

Spin :D :fishslap:

Karl F
04-15-2004, 07:03 AM
Observing sudden changes, and talking with people face to face
About 2-3 years ago, I was on Nauset beach one Thursday night and noticed and unusual number of people, for a Thursday night.
Now, I am out there several nights a week, and kind of recognize vehicles and such, these were strangers, not regulars... on one of my cruises, I got stopped and asked directions to a particular piece of beach! WTF? I asked why... Well, I'm from Boston and at work today, I got an email with a link to some fishing board, said there is acre's of bass on this spot... now, we are a good 8 miles from this so called spot, and he will not be able to access it, unless he walks 2 miles.... :rolleyes: That night I had the oppurtunity to hear from several of these people where their info came from, directly, or indirectly, it came from that one message board... Next day, I heard from a well known local what the source was, the arguement between friends it had caused, and the "edited" post was all that was left... damage was done... 3 or 4 days of googan traffic, not even close to the original spot.

Race.... I have been sought out by people, probably because a lot of guys down here, and guys I know from off-cape, who use the beach, know I am active in beach access... anyway, even tho I am not getting the sticker, got shut out Monday, and it ain't worth 8-10 hours, FOR ME , to get it... anyway, I digress.. I am hearing about the big lines, lots of complaints... where did you hear, I always ask... one of the big factors is the net, straight from the horses mouths... Yes, there are other factors, but remember, only a small % post, thousands look, cut, paste email chain their buds, forwards go from there..

I've seen more, but for me, I have typed enough...
wether you agree, or disagree with my logic, you asked, and that is part of my way of thinking, I'm sure I'll get picked apart and called stupid and such.... But, I do not care... I know what I've seen and heard...

fishweewee
04-15-2004, 07:47 AM
NEVER underestimate the reach of the internet.

It is a GLOBAL medium for content, commerce, communications, and community, and fishing permit sticker burning.

-WW

Slipknot
04-15-2004, 07:49 AM
One thing leads to the other and so on.
What I'm trying to say is like this, a couple of examples - magazines like On the Water(for example) advertise or used to advertise websites that have forums so newbies see them and read and learn about places to fish(after all, you can't expect tackle shops to be your only source of spots). Another example, going back 6 years there is a certain outdoor writer who speaks at a fishing show and mentions how much fun it is to chat on a certain website, that peaks the interest again in those not in the know. It's all about learning what you don't know. It's the quest for bigger fish that motivates people to find more information, and having all the info easily accessible on the net is so simple anyone can do it as long as you can read, ya don't even have to have a computer at home, just go to the library or something like that.
So once the masses find these forums they begin to read and then post and then learn they have to be careful what they post because the walls have eyes.

You don't see any lines forming to get stickers at beaches that have unlimited amounts sold. The Race used to be alot quieter because it is so out of the way, all the way out on the tip of the Cape, now people are just more willing to travel by vehicle to get there.

I don't know , maybe it is only the internet users blaming the internet.

rizzo
04-15-2004, 07:56 AM
The site that kills me is the ctfisherman page. Some of the guys on that page post picture after picture of a spot. One spot in particular along the shore of ct was barren the past 2 years. One guy posted a couple of pictures of nice fish there and the place was so crowded immediatly after that i gave it up for the rest of the fall. It was to the point that all the tackle shops nearby were sold out of the lure that he caught the fish on, where that lure wasnt even anything special. They dont realize when they post their reports on the net that they get all walks of fisherman reading it, some who can really trash a place to the point where they'll shut it down.

Mr. Sandman
04-15-2004, 08:09 AM
Post bogus reports to throw them off. After a few 2 mile walks in the sand they will stop chasing internet stories.

BTW, I hear there are bigs pods of 40 lbers in NJ.

blackeye
04-15-2004, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Sandman
Post bogus reports to throw them off. After a few 2 mile walks in the sand they will stop chasing internet stories.

BTW, I hear there are bigs pods of 40 lbers in NJ.

where in jersey? what beach, what tide, what are they catching on, how are they fishing it?
one of the things that kills me about these sites is the fact that it makes people lazy. Instead of going out and hunting for the fish they wait for somebody to throw a bone. I am constantly seeing questions like "has anybody caught fish at this spot? let us know" I wanna say F U buddy, do your own legwork.

Maloney
04-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Everybody sees it, everybody goes. Race Point less and less "National Park". More and more Cooney Island beach.

Joe
04-15-2004, 11:34 AM
It's Bassmaster's fault for holding up all those cows with Cape Cod sand stuck to them. :smash:

bassmaster
04-15-2004, 12:03 PM
:rolleyes:

justplugit
04-15-2004, 12:09 PM
Blitz reports by cell phone groupies don't help either.:af:
They should be banned from the beach.

gilligan
04-15-2004, 08:30 PM
"I don't know , maybe it is only the internet users blaming the internet"

exactly. this site is where i learned alot. specifically what not to talk about.is only gotten worse every year since i been around(about two yrs). i think its useless to complain because it will only get worse and all you s-b vets should know that. its a world wide website with a wealth of knowledge. does any one remember betting on when # 2000 would be. that in my mind was only inviting this kind of "abuse". ive learned that nothing specific is to be posted to the public for the simple fact that too many people are listening and many are looking for an easy lead.no wonder why folks are posting alot of non-fishing related stuff, if ya post something usefull it gets raped by the non-conformers(non-members)
and hijacked by the same ? what color? a-salt or the other one? anyone got that plug builders phone #. so on and so forth
my 2 cents

striprman
04-15-2004, 08:53 PM
When I came on here I thought that everyone would be "open" shareing fishing spots, herring run locations, times, tides, methods/lures/baits. I started asking questions hoping I would learn a little bit more about an activity that I thoroughly enjoy.

I'm happy to answer any question about fishing that I can give an answer to.
Some persons aren't as happy.

I go to the same 2 or 3 spots 3 or 4 tides a week, usually catch a keeper and usually always get a couple decent fish every season.
I don't expect large each time I fish, but I always fish expecting the next one will be the biggest I ever captured.
Keep your gear in top shape, good knots, good line, sharp hooks.
Always back off of the drag on yor reels after you've finished fishing for the day.

If there is someone in a spot that I fish, I will either, happily join them or move.

Theres so many places to fish, how can anyone "get mad" at the internet?

:smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash: :smash:

Skitterpop
04-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Your a good man and you got it going on.

Good job,
Mike

Skitterpop
04-15-2004, 08:58 PM
:rolleyes: who isn`t self promoting in the biz?

JohnR
04-15-2004, 08:59 PM
Striprman - some sharing happens on the boards, more sharing happens once you've built a rapport with people and maybe you meet up and FISH. That's when the more specific knowledge often gets shared.

Nevermind.....

gilligan
04-15-2004, 09:28 PM
striprman,
imagine you told me where your "spot " is and then going there for a quiet night of fishing and finding me and all my boys are exactly where you told me. when you find "me, from the internet, you say" hey whats up i told you in confidence, this was supposed to be our secret" well being that i dont know you i say "tough s**t deal w/ it" and then you are forced to accept finding a new location because im there and you told me.
do ya think it would be kinda frustrating. i bet you say it wouldnt bother you.
what about if your already settled in and me and 5 of my drinking buddies show up and start ch#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g bait out in every direction. now your outnumbered and feeling pressered, uncomfortable in "YOUR" fishing spot.
so what now
go somewhere else?
go home?
you are in "YOUR SPOT" and now you uncomfortable "WTF"
you know why, because you 50000 people are watching every post and every answer to your post.
i was in the same position as you. you WONT get any usefull info until you provide good info(which i have yet to do cause im still a schoolie)
i wish ya the best of luck and if your fishing the ma. south shore pm me and ill be more than happy to point you in the right direction

Tin Can Charlie
04-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Here are a few truths relating to this thread...

A few years back I was constantly asked for outerbeach reports since I live in Wellfleet. I never gave them and alot of folks think I was stuck up or just an A$$hole...:p ....Anyway....It was the third week in October, mid week and I decided to hit a certain beach before sunset....I was the only one in the lot and was greeted by a silver ribbon band of dead bait at the high tide mark. There were herring and butterfish of all sizes as far as the eye could see.....The tide was coming in and I knew it was going to be pissah that evening.....It was and it was one of the most memeorable nites on the beach that I have ever had.....That evening, feeling all proud of myself, I posted a report.....the beach name and forgot about it. What harm could come from such a post so late in the season when nobody was around?....Next day, I arrived at same beach, same tide to 30 buggies in the lot....I had my flyrod and plug rod with me and as I walked down the beach an old timer stopped me and started asking me about fly fishing....We chatted and I asked how fishing was..."Nuttin doing he sez.....I'm part of a CT surf club and one of our members read on the INTERNET that some guy hammered them here last nite so he called us up and most of the club drove up this morning"!!..:eek: :eek: ....My eyes got about as big as silver dollars and I swore I would never do another beach report again.....

More food for thought....There is nothing wrong going into a tackle shop and talking to a few friends about some hot fishing....that is becuz its only a FEW FRIENDS....When you do the same on the internet you THINK its only a few friends who are reading but that aint the case.....I have also seen print *CC Times* fishing reports come straight from someones post on a certain board.....
It used to be a good fisherman was a quiet fisherman.....I'm trying to get back to that...:o ;)

capesams
04-15-2004, 10:08 PM
:kewl:

gilligan
04-15-2004, 10:29 PM
:cheers:
good memorys tin can
thanks

bassmaster
04-16-2004, 05:42 PM
jeff i wanna snap ya fly rod:p