View Full Version : Fishing Eels?

partsjay
04-16-2004, 09:06 AM
I have been fishing for stripers for a while now, but I haven't done much eel fishing. It is something that I would like to try this year. I have done some research but thought I'd try here as well. I was looking for a couple ideas on what line to use as well as how to keep my eels alive, I will be fishing from the surf so I would like to stay as mobile as possible, I normally wade so if there is a way to keep them in the water rather than in a cooler that would also be helpful. Not looking for specifics...just some ideas...thanks.

Jamie M
04-16-2004, 09:15 AM
To keep my eels alive at the house or during transport, I use a double 5-gallon bucket system. Take the first bucket, and drill a bunch of small holes in it. Put that bucket inside the second bucket. Buy your eels, throw them in the first bucket. The holes you drilled should be small enough so the eels can't get through, but large enough so that the eel slime which oozes off will drop ino the outside bucket. You also need to keep them cool. You can throw some ice cubes on top of the eels. As the ice melts, the water will drip into the outer bucket - don't want them to drown in the water or their own slime. Even better, I find, are those plastic ice packs that freeze and stay cold. Just be careful about putting it back in the freezer after it's been in contact with eels - don't let your wife find out. I have kept eels alive for 48 hours using this ystem.

After you get to your fishing spot, you don't want to drag plastic buckets around. So get yourself a small mesh bag. You can get one at any scuba dive shop, but I think our sponsor, surfcasting Rhode Island, also sells them. The bag can be attached to a wading belt, and left in the water. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A RAG to grab the eels with, because grabbing them with your bare hands is not something you want to try.

Others will also have helpful info. Remember to retrieve the eels as slow as humanly possible, then, slow don some more...

Rappin Mikey
04-16-2004, 09:56 AM
Go to the "How to, FAQ" forum there is a great thread on eelin.

spence
04-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I used to use the 2 bucket system until I tried an easier method. Just toss a bunch of grass and leaves into the bucket and set the eels on top. I've kept them alive for 12 hours this way.

Surfcasting-Rhode Island (http://surfcasting-rhodeisland.com) sells the Aquaskinz little mesh eel bag. It's perfect for wading.

-spence

Fishpart
04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
I keep them in a minnow bucket with holes drilled in it and keep them on ice. They are easy to handle that way, ifind after the ice melts I end up with an eel bracelet when I grab them. I leave the bucket up on the beach.

wjm
04-16-2004, 11:37 AM
If you haven't played with these slimy little critters before I'd go to home depot and in the glove section they have these cheap things with blue rubber dots on the palms and fingers. Greatest eel aid I've seen.

Van
04-16-2004, 11:53 AM
You can bring only a small single bucket, and to avoid them drowning in melting ice, use an ice-pack instead, keeps them plenty cold and calm. Add just a little water (very little) when you get there or chuck some seaweed in.
Don't use the same ice-pack for food later though.

BigFish
04-16-2004, 12:11 PM
I got one better than an ice pack.....a zip-lock bag....nice, easy, cheap and disposeable after it gets all slimey.:D

Mr. Sandman
04-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Use the bucket system to transport to the beach in the truck and an eel bag clipped to your wader belt for when your working the beach on foot. Keeps your hands free. Also, clip a small washcloth to the belt as well to deal with them. Aquaskins makes a nice mesh eel bag. The bag is strong mesh, keeps them cool and they get rinsed from time to time while fishing.
When I go back to the truck to head to another spot, I simply clip off the bag and clip it to my cooler (outside) or drop it in the bucket. IMO six eels will last you plenty of time while you are on foot between spots...probably all night. If bluefish are cleaning you out...switch to plugs or move.
A lot of ways work, I just like to keep my hands as free as possible and only like holding a rod. (and a big fish of course):)

You just want to AVOID the bucket of eel slime (eel juice as my son calls it) spilling inside your wifes car...She will leave you. (take my advice on that) This smell will get VERY nasty the next day in the hot sun. I keep them in a bucket the the cooler on the front bumber now.
But...its worth the trouble to deal with them. They are a hearty bait and work great.

Joe
04-16-2004, 01:42 PM
Get one of the Plano bait buckets with the insert.
Take some bubble weed off a rock, pat it with a paper towel until it is damp then put it in freezer bags and freeze the stuff. (Freezing kills the bugs.)
Make up a dozen or two.
Then when you get back from fishing keep the eels in the fridge inside the insert of the bait bucket with the bubble weed and a damp cloth over the bucket so the fridge does not dry it out too much. The slime runs out of the insert, and can be dumped now an then. The eels will keep for a real long time on bubble weed and it's a lot less work than a home tank. I keep eels from charters up to a week apart using this method with next to no mortality.