View Full Version : Bottom Painting with boat on trailer

Jim H
04-16-2004, 03:21 PM
Experts - Thanks so much for all the advice on bottom painting.

Now the tough question. How do you paint the bottom when the boat is on a trailer? I am getting a 24' Wellcraft Coastal walk around this weekend. Owner used Interlux Micron CSC paint last year (boat is one year old) so I will use the same paint for the new coat this year.

Do I need the boat yard to lift it off the trailer for me or is there some other way? The trailer is a roller trailer.

Thanks for any advice,

Jim

Van
04-16-2004, 07:37 PM
I did mine on the trailer. I took a hydraulic bottle jack and pushed the boat back about a foot used some 2X4 pieces to shim and extend pushing. Kept the bow tied also, but I did not have to worry, plenty of weight in front. It is kinda a pain working under the trailer, but wasn't too bad (plus I had no other choisce). I put on two coats on her in that position. Then cranked her back on, did the roller spots (2 coats) and I was good to go. Hope that helps.

Fly Rod
04-16-2004, 07:55 PM
:) I do my 26' boat every year on the trailer!!!

I can crawl under mine to do the bottom!!!
no need to jack it up !!!

On mine ,where the bunks go it does not get growth where I don't paint. must be to far away from the sun light!!!

I do run plastic on the trailer so that in my case the black does not get on my trailer!!!

Fish-On
04-16-2004, 08:09 PM
I did my Wellcraft 218 CCF last year on the float-on trailer buy putting a piece of 2 x 12 under the transom and using a floor jack to lift the stern off of the trailer…Once it was lifted I stuck 3 short pieces of 2 x 4 on each side between the boat and the trailer bunks. After a couple of coats were put on I again lifted the boat and moved the 2 x 4’s and painted the areas I missed… Turned out to be pretty easy and I’ll be doing again shortly to get her ready for this season.