View Full Version : Bottom Painting.... Yes/no????

BigPete
04-17-2004, 05:14 PM
I am Wondering if I can get away without painting the bottom on the new boat. I keep it in the Jones River in Kingston which is warm brackish water. I can easily pull it every few weeeks and pressure wash it in my driveway which is only 1/2 mile away. I can fill the 54 gallon tank at the filling station and save a dollar a gallon while I am at it. I was contemplating using one of those pricy waxes that inhibit marine growth instead of painting. Any feedback will be appreciated.

MTC
04-17-2004, 05:45 PM
I knew a guy in CT at my old marina that did that. He just took it to a car wash and cleaned it.

Fish-On
04-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Paint it! Last year I debated the same…Ended up putting her in the water for two weeks in early May just to see what type of growth there would be…When I pulled her out I was surprised how the bottom was already covered with growth…At that point I decided to paint her and I'm glad I did. I'd rather spend two hours on the water fishing than hauling the boat out to pressure wash it...Good Luck!

Hooper
04-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi Big Pete

When I bought my 84 SeaCraft it had never been bottom painted, a virgin bottom no less. I hated to paint it but i got a slip and figured i should and I am glad i did. I had it epoxy barrier coated to prevent blistering in the future and a good coat of hard bottom paint put on it. Man, am I glad I did that.

If not, I am convinced that I would have ruined the hull of my boat. The growth I get even taking the steps I took is amazing. I would really suggest that you consider getting it done, just to protect your investment.

Good Luck, Hooper ;)

BigPete
04-17-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys! I will wait for the boat yard (Eagle Marine) to paint the bottom.