View Full Version : Newport Fishing Report...

fishweewee
04-17-2004, 10:58 PM
Yup, I have to say, we caught a lot of stuff today.

Here's a list:

1) discarded fishing line, both mono and braid, but mostly mono

2) rusty hooks

3) broken glass beer bottles - brown, green, and clear

4) beer cans, some really old ones that date to the mesozoic era

5) styrofoam food containers

6) I scored a soiled maxi-pad somewhere near Ocean Drive (we have witnesses to confirm - just ask Corey) :yak:

7) Big EdB found a pair of ladies panties near the same spot where I found #6 :eek:

8) lobster pots and pieces of them

9) a gill net. DZ checked it for plugs but came up empty. Corey and Notaro lugged it over the rocks for damn near a 1/2 mile. :hihi:

10) one plug - a Roberts Ranger.

11) lot of thorns in our paws (stupid bushes)

We got some sun and some exercise and some wonderful views.

I just hope I didn't get any diseases. :laughs:

fishweewee
04-17-2004, 11:03 PM
I also caught some dirty looks on the Cliff Walk from passerby who thought I was a homeless fella digging for empties. :hihi:

Clammer
04-18-2004, 01:49 AM
You did good guys=========:kewl:

mrmacey
04-18-2004, 05:28 AM
Originally posted by fishweewee
I also caught some dirty looks on the Cliff Walk from passerby who thought I was a homeless fella digging for empties. :hihi: too funny ben!!

basswipe
04-18-2004, 07:31 AM
I fished the local early season spots Friday after work,Sat. morning and this morning.Nada.
I've seen other folks trying too and spoke to a friend who said he got a few shorts(12" of short).
Well anyway the weather was beautiful and the scenery even more so.Saw a herd of deer at Sachuest this morning,20-25 does,
just grazing away right next to the visitor center.Pretty cool.
Soon people...real soon.
Gonna go again after work tomorrow and this time I'll do more than put my waders in the truck I'll actually wear them.Took a good soaking this morning.Chalk it up to laziness.

bart
04-18-2004, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by fishweewee
[B]Yup, I have to say, we caught a lot of stuff today.

nice to see you caught your limit:D i overslept the clean-up in the morn so i did a little beach cleanin myself down at Hull's Cove. all kinds of sheet down there, took 3 bags of trash off the beach. could've filled a dump truck, wish i brought more trash bags. i can see how people on the island are getting pissed off, well sorta.....

striper134
04-18-2004, 01:07 PM
First off a big thanks to two fisherman who live out of state! Fishweewee and Notaro. These guys traveled from abroad to help out and thanks for the laughs Ben. Also, Notaro thanks for helping tug that pile of gill netting off the beach. Now I know Im really out of shape. I feel like I got ranover today after tugging that thing off the beach. Also, to all they other locals like Ed, George, Dave, Dennis, R.J., Durbin, Ben, and Thanks to Steve Medeiros from RISAA for coming over to Newport to snap a few pictures of Dennis grubbing thru the bushes looking for trash. He was looking for a Habs 3oz whos he kidding. Great time had by all and everyone made a diffrence. Hope to see everyone in the fall for another clean up. Thanks
SWE Crew/Newport Fishing Club

http://www.saltwateredge.com/images/ledgerdclean.jpg The Saltwater Edge and Newport County Fishing Club joined together on Saturday, April 17th to help out and clean up areas of the city. As a group we chose to clean up a few areas that local fisherman know and love. At about 9:45am the cars started pulling in and before long we were all jumping in someone’s vehicle for the short ride to the first stop, Ledge Rd. The crew consisted of 8 people from as far away as Western Connecticut and Boston . We all grabbed our gloves and trash bags, made a plan to meet back in an hour or so, and set off cleaning up the area. The trash consisted mostly of bottles, cans, bags, broken glass, empty bait boxes, fishing line, broken lobster traps, gill nets, and other odds and ends. We stayed at Ledge Rd. for about an hour and a half covering from Baylies Beach all the way around to Doris Dukes. In comparison to the other areas covered, this area was the worst as far as trash goes. We all met back at the road and couldn’t believe the amount of trash we gathered. One key find at this stop was Durbin Wells with his catch of the day, a Roberts Ranger in green in pretty good shape. See it’s not always trash you find right!

http://www.saltwateredge.com/images/wetmoreave.jpg
The next stop was Wetmore Ave. which is located just south of the Breakers Mansion off Ruggles Ave. This is one of the most beautiful stretches of the Cliff Walk which runs along mansions like the Marble House, Rose Cliff, and thru tunnel systems near the old observation building and under the Tea House. The town has done a great job of cleaning up the over grown areas on the path providing more room for people to walk without losing view of the mansions and rocky shoreline. We started right at the parking area cleaning up more bottle and cans. Then we decided to break up into small groups and started just south of the Breakers and made our way south on the Cliff Walk toward the Tea House. The garbage in this area was nowhere near as bad as Ledge Rd. Mostly smaller items with the occasional milk create or washed up debris. Finding smaller items was great because it provided a little time for people who never fished this area to pick the brain of Newport County Fishing Club President, Dennis Zambrota. Dennis is a Newport native and has fished the local water for years. He had some great stories and hints on when and where to fish so the guys who did come left with some great knowledge of the fishery. We then made our way back to the vehicles, snapped a few pictures, swapped stories of the findings, and before long it was time for everyone to head home to finish up the “honey-do lists”. Overall, the clean up was a success and we hope to have more participants in the fall when we do another clean up. On behalf of The Saltwater Edge and Newport County Fishing Club, we want to thank everyone who turned out and helped make Newport a cleaner place. We would also like to thank the City Of Newport for providing bags and gloves for the event. Thanks to all who helped and contributed to this great event. Thank You!

Notaro
04-18-2004, 09:25 PM
Hey, I forgot to mention to you guys is that I found someone discarded a nearly empty box of buds light with two whole cans left (fresh). But I dumped it in a trash can. Corey, thanks for organizing this event. I enjoyed it, even though there wasnt any fish, but I learned a bit or two about Newport spots. The scenery is so beautiful. That brought back the salty aroma from the water to my nose and mind. It made me feel like fishing.

Corey, I was a tad outta shape too. My back was giving away a little bit. It was sad to see that people who lives in RI or not litter people's valued property and disgrace the tourist attraction spots, you know?

SeaWolf
04-19-2004, 06:07 AM
great job, guys! nice to see.

...and this is not even considered a really dirty/trashy area. come to a few more western ri areas and see how bad the trash is there. it's a shame. we could easily lose spots because of some peoples ignorance. we are all labeled "fishermen", but we know it's not the real fishermen that cause the trash.

fishweewee
04-19-2004, 06:17 AM
No disagreement from me, Seawolf. It's just that the majority of the stuff I picked up on the rocks was discarded fishing line and terminal tackle and bait wrappers. The rest of the large stuff (which doesn't really count in my mind) is stuff like lobster traps and nets that wash ashore. These all point to fishermen (fair or not) and not partying college students.

You know, if we went to the trouble of returning all those empty beer cans and bottles, we probably could have cleaned up! :hihi:

I frankly don't care if someone wants to party their ass off on the beach (although I personally question the safety of drinking and impairment of judgement on those rocks). I just wish people would pick up after themselves!

-WW

Crafty Angler
04-19-2004, 10:08 AM
What Dave said.

Western RI and Sachuest Point here on the Island are really in rough shape - it's enough to make ya cry, the #@$ %^## mess is incredible.

BIG thumbs up to you guys who participated, especially to the Dastardly Nefarious Wee and Notaro for coming so far to help :btu:

My gig turned out fine, if a little longer than expected - :D I was on the clock, tho - got a bunch of shots of Chris Matthews who was a guest, turned out to be a nice guy - but didn't go over for the grip and grin. Didn't ask him what he thought of Darryl Hammond, either -

Anyway to you guys :cheers:

Way to go - I'll be in on the next one!

chris L
04-19-2004, 10:13 AM
white pants for a beach clean up trash day ? I wanted to make it but my white pants were in the cleaners .

fishweewee
04-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Those were my ratty fishin' khakis. They got lots of holes in 'em.

Seriously, next cleanup I'm bringing korkers. :laughs: Had a few close calls on the rocks. :hihi:

Notaro
04-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Same thing here. We all have holes on our pants, Ben.

Crafty Angler
04-19-2004, 12:33 PM
Uhhhhh.....Notaro, I think you mean CAPE COD CANAL RAT, not Cape Cod Anal Rat....

A Cape Cod Anal Rat would be a gerbil and require a much longer drive to P-Town at the tip of the Cape ...:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: .

Not that there's anything wrong with that....

chris L
04-19-2004, 12:37 PM
OH YES THERE IS ! Just ask the cruelty to animals folks . Its just plain stinky to do that to a rat ( gerbal ) . imagine that !

Crafty Angler
04-19-2004, 04:02 PM
To tell ya the truth, Chris, I'm trying hard NOT to imagine that...

Notaro
04-20-2004, 07:37 AM
*squeaks* *squeaks*