View Full Version : Where tha Herring go!!!!

Fly Rod
04-19-2004, 12:59 PM
:) The two herring boats came in empty over the weekend!!!!
I hope that isn't a bad sign !!!! Of what's to come!!!!
They were out for 4days and not one fish!!!!
I know that they were fishing the mud hole off of N Y towards Jersey!!!!

Talking to a couple of fellas and they were saying the herring went futher south!!! to much of a steam for these boats!!!
;) :cool:

spinncognito
04-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Hey Fly,

I can see those boats from my place overlooking the harbor and I would be surprised if that trend continued. Let's hope not. I plan many a day on the water according to the arrival of those big blue brothers. They had a helluva great mackerel run and I managed to get ahold of some for the freezer.

Spin

RockLobsta
04-19-2004, 02:31 PM
Fly-

Hope your winter was warm! i can see you starting on the reports already!!

Not sure when I can get my boat in....trying to finish up the honey-do list. Hopefully 1st of May or so......

When do the boats start coming in full??

RL

Fly Rod
04-19-2004, 06:45 PM
:) Good evening Rock Lobsta!!!!;)

How was your winter????

It was a little to cold to do much this winter!!!! Had to hibernate like a "Bear"

Just starting to get started!!!

Boat should be in the water this week!!! No rush the water is so damn cold!!!

A friend of mine was out to the bank Saturday and hooked 19 cod, kept 9; 5 haddock and 1cat fish!!!!!

The 9 cod were just over the limit!!!!

RockLobsta
04-20-2004, 08:19 PM
This winter was sooooooo cold.....:doh:......Didn't do much except cut wood and sit by the fire.

Had plenty of cod vacuum sealed so that made it a little easier. Looking forward to getting out and doing some fishing, diving and just plain hangin out in the sun!! These last few days were great!

Hopefully we'll catch up this year on the water....

Tight Lines!:cool:

Fly Rod
04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
:) Here is the latest of why the herring boats aren't fishing!!!

They say that the herring are on the surface feeding this time of year which could go on for a month or two.!!!! and then again it could be a couple of weeks!!!!

This could be true because the Gannets are diving along the coast!!! So there are fish on the surface!!!

Anybody else seeing any gannets ????;)