View Full Version : Tuna This Season

Fish On
04-21-2004, 01:22 PM
I'm definately interested in getting into some yellowfin and football bluefin south of the vineyard, east of block island this season. I made some runs down there in late July, early August last year without any luck. I may try a little later in the season this year being particularly careful about the weather.

Anyone interested in doing tendem runs? There's been a lot of dicussion about offshore boating in boats our size (22'). Always a good idea to double up when you can. Also a benefit to finding the fish.

Who are the folks that fish this area for tuna? I'd love to share some chats on techniques, trolling, chunking, etc. as well as some somewhat controlled report sharing.

MakoMike
04-21-2004, 02:46 PM
I occasionally go down that way. More often just head due south of block island. Last 4-5 years the yellowfins have been pretty scarce down that way. The school bluefin bite usually starts out that way in mid to late August, behind the draggers.

Fish On
04-21-2004, 04:25 PM
I thought you might respond. Thanks.

I was down Butterfish hole one day last August (mid month). No tuna but caught that big Mahi that day. What would you say is the best week, balancing the chance of getting into some tuna vs the onset of the windy weather? Week before labor day?

I'll be fishing the Vineyard in the 3rd week of September for the derby. Thought I might try a day for the tuna during that week if the weather cooperated. What do you think? Might have a chance towards the dump, fingers?

Vectorfisher
04-21-2004, 07:44 PM
I would go but don't have the gear for it and dont know much about it, if you wanted could always run out in my boat with your gear:D

Fish On
04-21-2004, 08:56 PM
I generally like going for the smaller tuna. I have 6 50 pund class rods loaded with 80 pound mono and 50 lb backing. I think you could try it with lighter stuff, but even with mine if I hook into a Volkswagon I'll be spooled easily. Other than that I basically just have a harness and a gimball belt. If you wanted to do a run I'd consider loaning you a couple of these at the dock just to have a second boat out there to scout around with and for emergencies. Where do you launch out of?

goosefish
04-21-2004, 09:36 PM
The Claw and the Star. I'd go with you but I don't own a boat. But I use to spend a lot of time offshore and the edge. Still love to talk about it though.

04-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I will be making trips to the acid barge and mud hole during the summer when weather permits. It would be nice to get a few boats together and head out as a group.

MakoMike
04-22-2004, 12:02 PM
Fishon,
Last week in august you're best bet would be to the east, the dump or maybe even east of that. This is chunk fishing behind the draggers. For another shot at fair weather tuns try around the acid barge, trolling, about mid to late june.

Fish On
04-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Really that early huh? Didn't think anything was around just yet. What types are you most likely to encounter in mid June?

Vectorfisher
04-22-2004, 04:22 PM
I will launch anywhere really, usually launch in Wareham sometimes Padnaram.nb

MakoMike
04-22-2004, 04:25 PM
In June that close they are guaranteed to be bluefins. Might get some yellows, longfins and eyes out at the edge if we get an eddy.

devils fiddle
04-22-2004, 10:01 PM
The last few seasons theres been a decent football bluefin run in late june to mid july. The fish move in and out quickly from one day to the next. Try from coxes west to the butterfish during this period. Having the info on where they are from day to day is key, info on the net is not always reliabe:rolleyes: . enjoy.

04-23-2004, 07:59 AM
devils- good to see you in here again!

Rip Runner
04-23-2004, 11:26 AM
Fish on, where are you out of, I might be interested in pairing up with you for a few trips out to the claw & inner fingers area's. I go out of Falmouth.

Fish On
04-23-2004, 02:07 PM
When I'm in that area I use the Child's River launch.