View Full Version : New Rod/Reel Combo

RI Popper
04-23-2004, 07:50 AM
Ladies and Gentlement and liers of all ages. I just picked up a 6'6" fenwick trigger handle baitcasting MH graphite rod. This is my first graphite. I will be fishing from boat (like arena football) mostly casting guess who's poppers :) .

My question is I have a new Roddy 175 bait caster, a corsair 200, abu 5000 and abu 6000. what should be the better match for this rod??

Also seeing I have 99.9% experience with fiberglass rods. is there any real big difference besides the weight and fragility of a good graphite?

Thanks for your help.

fishweewee
04-23-2004, 07:53 AM
I think the Corsair (or similar-sized Calcutta even better) or the 6500 should be fine. I prefer the Calcuttas for boat casting. Can't quite put my finger on why, they are a smidge smoother and more comfortable to fish methinks.

-WW

JohnR
04-23-2004, 08:12 AM
If its an older Corsair they tend to break on a 50 fish day. Not to be compared with the otherwise hich quality products from Shimano... The 6000 is a solid reel and the 5000 will be nice on the lighter stuff. Never heard of a Roddy....

RI Popper
04-23-2004, 08:39 AM
The roddy is a small bait caster that is made in china. the gears are brass and it has a lot of features like spool breaks, etc. but the inside plate that holds some components is hardened plastic. I'm not to fond of that part. here is a pic of it from ebay

A new introduction for 2003! This one is going to be hot. A new baitcasting reel just introduced to our market. Made by Master this roddy 175 compares to the Corsair, Nitryx, and Millionaire series. True one piece aluminum frame. Reel was made to the highest precision using CNC machinery. Great for heavy freshwater and light to medium saltwater baitcasting applications. Fluke, flounder, sea trout, schoolie stripers, bluefish and otehr inshore gamefish LOOK OUT!

FEATURES

stainless steel pinion gear

5 ball bearings

large line guide

star drag lever with click

push button cap

High tensile strength brass drive gear

aluminum spool

one piece aluminum body

instant anti-reverse one way roller bearing

bait clicker

internal brake system

line capacity
150 yards 15lb. test

gear ratio
5.5:1

Bliz
04-23-2004, 08:47 AM
Like John had mentioned... the Corsair is one of the worst conventionals I have seen...

It doesn't even take 50 bass to burn out the clutch mechanism in most of them...

Saltheart
04-23-2004, 09:40 AM
Abu 6500C3 that's the best bang for the buck in a conventional reel in that size class. Best reel regardlesss of price would be the Calcutta 400 IMO.