View Full Version : Lex Lures....Any Opinions

The Dad Fisherman
04-27-2004, 08:35 AM
Just wondering what you guys think of these. Are they any good? Never hear much talk about them but came across them in my internet travels

rwilhelm
04-27-2004, 08:52 AM
I heard about them on another site which has an online store. They are discontinuing them due to poor quality.

PurpelNoon
04-27-2004, 08:53 AM
Supposedly the original owner has sold the company but I don't know whats going on with them at this time. There have been some problems with quality control and the finishes don't last that long.
However, I have a few, especially the surfster type swimmer with the "scoop" lip and it caught for me last year when nothing else would. It can be swam and even popped which makes it unique.

theSURF121
04-27-2004, 09:09 AM
Have a few but only used them sparingly. Met the guy at a few shows a few years back. Some guys claim they work and that's all that matters to them . For me, I also look for something that has a better finish and can cast somewhat better.Compare it to a Beachmaster and you'll know what I mean. Granted, Lex lures are about $4-5 cheaper than Beachmasters.Now I'm only talking about the metal lips.

JohnR
04-27-2004, 12:04 PM
The original owner was sick for a while, hadn't heard that it sold. I was trying them for a while as an occasional alternative to Gibbs (primarily with Danny's) but i was never overwhelmed with them. They seemed inconsistent. I just stopped buying them. Like mentioned above by Surf, they aren't anywhere as nice as the Beachmasters and even at more coin, I was buying them. Now there are a lot of alternatives.

Mr. Sandman
04-27-2004, 12:26 PM
Ditto...except they use to make a lure designed for trolling eelskins. I have used this (quite a bit last season actaully) and it was pretty decent. Again the finish was so-so but it was the right size to slide in the first 1/3 of an eel and had a groove to lash the skin to the plug. I never had one fall off. It was easy to rig, took a little time though but it held up. I never was enamored with the casting plugs...have a few though.

The Dad Fisherman
04-27-2004, 12:35 PM
Good to know...

OK Where can I get Beachmasters? I checked saltwaters edge website and they don't have any listed. Any place else?

Notaro
04-27-2004, 01:42 PM
New Bedford, CMS, TDF.

spence
04-27-2004, 02:30 PM
last time I was at Saltwater Edge they only had a few beachmaster darters in black.

I was at CMS the other day and they had a small variety of danny's round nosed swimmers and the cowboys...

-spence

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 04:13 PM
Uhhh...if I were youse guys I'd just save my pennies for a coupla surprises from Batman and Robin....if ya get my drift.

The non-disclosure clause in my contract with them prohibits any further information at this juncture. :smokin:

Bassman18
04-27-2004, 04:36 PM
CMS? TDF? What's that stand for?

PurpelNoon
04-27-2004, 05:17 PM
Ive been checking Batman's site every day for the last few months...waiting....patiently..waiting. lol

Notaro
04-27-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Bassman18
CMS? TDF? What's that stand for?
CMS is a name of them bait & tackle store in NB. TDF is an abbrevation for The Dad Fisherman.

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 05:48 PM
Real soon, Purplenoon ;) - in fact, I gotta call the Bat Cave tonite or tomorrow.

Jim O
04-28-2004, 03:36 PM
My Favorite plug for the next 4 weeks on the south side of the Cape while the squid are still around is the stubby Lex pencil popper. White with pink down the sides . I replace the rear treble with a siwash with white and pink saddle hackle about 4" long. Yeah the finish stinks but thier cheap enough to toss after the blues chew them up.

Krispy
04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Lex's on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36153&item=3674473833&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

comes to about $3 apiece

Crow
04-28-2004, 08:52 PM
They are just not worth it. I tried a big darter worked ok. Myfriend tried one , totally different plug, didn't work at all and fell apart to boot. Might have been right at the change of owners. Also I felt all the swimmers were a little too small and needed major adjustments to swim properly. IMHO

The Dad Fisherman
04-29-2004, 07:22 AM
Originally posted by Krispy
Lex's on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36153&item=3674473833&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

comes to about $3 apiece

Ahh You must be Psychic..Thats what started this thread. :D

Was trying to keep it hush hush in case it was a good deal and it brought all of the Plug Ho's out of the woodwork. :D