View Full Version : Mr Crafty...I need your opinion...

MrsSFrances
04-27-2004, 09:55 PM

MrsSFrances
04-27-2004, 09:57 PM
tired of being called spam..!

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:03 PM
Well, I ain't that great and if I was wise I'd be rich, but....check your PM's - :tooth:

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Actually, now I see what you mean by 'nails' -

Photoshop

That'll be one olive backed swimmer please :p

Alright, alright - have your husband drill 2 holes in the side of the plug away from the camera and suspend them that way so they won't be seen. :smokin:

Now, that's one olive-back, one white. I'll take the blems from the shoot, hell, I got wood filler. They're pretty danged nice lookin'!

Nice job on the product styling and set - so was that you or him?

I went pretty much minimalist for Tattoo's stuff on black. Felt they looked best that way - and used an old Nikkor lens made for medical applications so there would be some fall-off in sharpness due to magnification and the short depth of field - wanted to call the real attention to the patterns, not the shiny hooks.

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:18 PM
Forget the holes, why ruin a perfectly good plug.

There's stuff called 'Sticky Putty' or something which is a moldable adhesive you can find in an art supply place or maybe 'Michael's' craft stores if they're any by you - just roll up a long bead, apply it to the plug and stick it to the driftwood.

Look, Ma, no holes - but shoot quick 'cause it won't stick forever.

Ain't product shoots a blast :rolleyes: - hope you two are still speaking - who's the art director on the job?

Nebe
04-27-2004, 10:21 PM
I agree with crafty- hide the nails...

you could use some double sided sticky tape and loose the nails all-together-

one plug please:tooth:

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:25 PM
Yeah, Eben, that's another option - the putty stuff might work on dissimilar surfaces a little better perhaps, but get both and see which works better - it won't set ya back much and you'll know for the next 'shoot'.

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I know all about it - one year Mrs Crafty and I did all the small product photography for a well-known toy company's R & D projects just before Toy Fair in NYC - that was nuts.

Prototype toys not yet in production being Fedexed in from Chinese manufacturers and shot within minutes of their arrival at a blistering pace. Shoot all day, edit most the nite, get up and shoot again first thing in the morning.

The best part of the whole thing - aside from money - was getting to work with the AD who had quite a pedigree in the business, and the stylist who was one of the developers of the Cabbage Patch Kids. Great guys to work with - and thank God the stylist was good with child models. After the first week I just wanted to smack 'em with a light-stand.

I guess was a Grumpy Young Phart, too...no sense in changin' now.

Food photography is even worse - you can barely make enough to keep up with the liquor bills after you're done. :laughs:

Anyway, nice job on the styling - you really do have a good eye.

And as for being anal, you gotta be. That comes with the territory. You'd be a lousy photographer - or graphics designer, artist or plug-maker - if you weren't.

:btu:

Nebe
04-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Photoshop would be easy-

for lighter colored plugs use a black paper backdrop and for darker plugs use a white paper backdrop.....
then use the magic wand to highlight the plug, Copy the highlited plug and paste it into a blank canvas or a canvas of contrasting color-
:smokin:

Crafty Angler
04-27-2004, 10:48 PM
Nitey-nite, Mrs. SF - you too, Eben - if I'm better tomorrow I might go out to my favorite spring spot to kiss the first little bass of the season and send her on her merry way.
:sleeps: :sleeps: :sleeps: Ummm, fish dreams....

striprman
04-28-2004, 05:13 AM
The tail end bucktail is "droopy". Dont you think it would look better if the bucktail was "in line" (extended out) from the plug, instead of "hanging down"?

Just trying to help

beachwalker
04-28-2004, 05:20 AM
Mrs Frances,

Stick then through the tail loop and under the nose lip.

I think they look great and probably wouldn't worry about the nails. Nice plugs and photos.

Oh yea,
Striprman is back to give us his insightful and unique observations. don't forget to talk to him :yak: