View Full Version : Orvis Waders.......Another Pair

redlite
04-29-2004, 01:39 PM
Well, just found out first hand the NEW Orvis wader policy. Took a walk over there on my lunch break (one of the few (very few) new advantages of being in the big city) and returned my waders to pick up my 12th pair.
Defintely bummed about it. They no longer are making the hiking boot foot model. They were essentially like going from 2 wheel to 4 wheel drive in the sand. Will miss them greatly. Had to settle for the regular Silver labels.
The guy said the new policy is as many have already said. They are now only covered for material flaws. That shouldn't be a problem because all of mine have leaked where the boot/neoprene/and wader material meet, so they would be replaced at no charge. If you get a whole, ie ya take a digger or put a plug through your leg, they will now charge you $30 to fix them. Still not bad. The price has also come down. I originally paid $260 for the Silver labels, then after going through several pairs of those, they gave me the hiking boot ones which were like $275. They are now $220. I tried to get them to give me the difference or at least a t-shirt, but no deal.
The only differences I noticed while I stood here looking at them in he middle of the office was that the boots are a lot heavier than the old ones and now they put a little tab on the heels to help get them off. They also now come with an elastic wader belt rather than the cordura one.
They said that if I am not happy with them, to bring them back and they'll give me my money back.
Hello L.L Bean.

tobias
04-29-2004, 02:11 PM
I returned my hiking bootfoot waders and used the money to purchase the Cabela's Guide Tech Bootfoot model. I haven't used them yet but am very impressed. The boots are actually wading boots attached to the waders. I was a little skeptical when ordering them because I thought that the boots would collect a lot of sand like stockingfoot waders but was pleasantly surprised. There shouldn't be any problem with sand. Also the boot gives more support than the Orvis hiking boots. You should take a look at them. I'll be trying them out this weekend.

Tobias

Bonefish
04-29-2004, 03:15 PM
It's your twelfth pair and you wanted a free T-shirt?

That's Hilarious

Youv'e got to be kidding me!

Striperhound
04-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I have found a loop hole in this new policy. Instead of dealing with the local retail outlets call customer service in MD and they will replace them time and time again. Takes a little more time but worth the wait. I sure do love my orvis waders.

ragfly
04-30-2004, 05:43 AM
This winter I bought a pair of LL Bean waders for the warrantee. Living 20 minutes from them is a real advantage. Of course you pay a little more than the norm there but I am sure that I will be returning a few in the future. :D

redlite
08-17-2004, 01:59 PM
Just picked up unlucky 13th pair.
New style boot split along the seem.

Slingah
08-17-2004, 02:14 PM
I.F.H. .a.k.a. wader killa....:laughs:

redlite
08-17-2004, 02:20 PM
They developed about a 4 inch split along a seam of the boot. Had 8 inches of water in my boot the other night. The sad thing is I have only worn them about a dozen times since I got this pair in April. Don't wear waders on the boat.

Slingah
08-17-2004, 02:24 PM
I got my new ones last week Mike....hiking boot foot like u like
Cablea's......sent the old ones back with-in the 1 year....hope they last......a year anyway:D

Biteme
08-17-2004, 02:31 PM
I got my first pair of Orvis breathables last week at a Orvis closeout sale. They listed for $225.00 and I paid $39.00.

basswipe
08-17-2004, 08:52 PM
13 pairs?!.Sounds like you spend more time returning them than actually wearing them.

And you paid $260 for the first pair:confused:.I can see why they can afford to keep replacing them because they really don't seem
like they're worth anything.

You might just want to cut your losses and invest in another brand.Hell even a set of Basspro specials won't leak for a few years.

Since I've been a member here I've not heard one good thing about Orvis waders here.Not for nothing but you couldn't give me a pair of 'em.

But that's just my opinion.

Slingah
08-17-2004, 09:10 PM
it's the salt water...no breathables are going to last being used everyother night and not washed and dried perfectly....nevermind the abuse...sand, rocks, heat, hooks....etc
no waders last....someone please tell me I am wrong
I have not had a pair last a whole year....and I think I take pretty good care of mine

basswipe
08-18-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by Slingah
I have not had a pair last a whole year....and I think I take pretty good care of mine

I've had my same pair of Proline neos since 1990.Made my first repair with aquaseal to them this year.14yrs these waders lasted
without failing and there still usable.

Aquaseal is great stuff and it works on breathables too.Much better than constantly returning them.

Backbeach Jake
08-18-2004, 07:07 PM
Man, I have a pair of Redball waders for the last 10 years. I use the bejeebers out of them and no leaks. Cost me 50 bucks back when. Hell, the cats even sharpen their claws on them! And yah I'm cheap.:rolleyes:

redlite
06-23-2005, 02:08 PM
Just expereienced the latest Orvis wader policy. And it is definately not worth the hassle or money Orvis waders any longer.
This pair split in the same place as the last pair. Along the seam of the boot.
Apparently they no longer just exchange your waders like they used to or replace for reasons of wear and tear. They now mail them out to the factory for repair. Problem is that this now leaves you without waders for a while. The repair factory inspects them and will determine if they can repair them at a small fee to you or just replace them.
Fortunately the splitting along the boot has been a common occurance for most of the returns, so they just gave me another pair. I asked the guy if the "100% satisfaction gurantee or your money back" still applies and he said it does.
Where's that Cabella's catalog of mine........................

riverrat2
06-23-2005, 03:09 PM
I have only had good edxperiences with orvis. I had a 4 pair of the cheapest waders they make( I forget the name of the line) in size medium. I sent those back over the winter asking them to replace them with larges. I wasn't even expecting them to send me a new pair nevermid a new pair in a different size, but about two days ago I recieved a brand new pair of larges. I think the key is like striperhound said is to send them back to maryland. If they ever cut me off of new waders I am going straight ot ll bean.

reelecstasy
06-23-2005, 03:14 PM
Redlite, fanuil hall Orvis? I am in there a couple times a week at lunch myself...

eelman
06-23-2005, 03:54 PM
it's the salt water...no breathables are going to last being used everyother night and not washed and dried perfectly....nevermind the abuse...sand, rocks, heat, hooks....etc

Repeat after me "SIMMS" I have fished every night since mid may with the G3 Guide gore-tex waders and absolutly not one problem at all, the gore-tex is very strong and its 5 layer! They are awesome and well worth the money!